or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7855  

post #117811 of 122416
I rarely get as far as a tie any more. Even situations where a tie and jacket used to be a default (customers/press) are a jacket max. The office is increasingly jeans and chinos. I'm a little slower on that curve, but have worn more jeans to work in the last year than the last twenty combined (which is why I have such an appreciation for the more flexible make-ups).
post #117812 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

Just curious - how many folks still work in offices where these rules are essentially still in effect. Said another way, how many people wear a suit every day?

I find that outside of specific professions or city's a loafer will be acceptable the vast majority of the time. Most shoes worn by people are cheap and so with a high quality show in general you will present a more professional appearance than your colleagues. Exceptions in my mind are investment banking, lawyers and NYC and maybe DC.
post #117813 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstldr View Post

I find that outside of specific professions or city's a loafer will be acceptable the vast majority of the time. Most shoes worn by people are cheap and so with a high quality show in general you will present a more professional appearance than your colleagues. Exceptions in my mind are investment banking, lawyers and NYC and maybe DC.

I feel like a black loafer is most Americans' idea of a "dress shoe," even here in NYC. not a heavy-stitch mocc toe loafer, but a sleek Italian penny with machine apron. I see them everywhere in midtown and the financial district.
post #117814 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I feel like a black loafer is most Americans' idea of a "dress shoe," even here in NYC. not a heavy-stitch mocc toe loafer, but a sleek Italian penny with machine apron. I see them everywhere in midtown and the financial district.


Agreed, except that they often aren't "Italian" but rather cheap and sometimes comically square toed, beaten up, neglected, etc.  I think wearing any type of loafer with a suit is a very American thing.  I am not saying I am against it, only that I personally don't do it even though I think you can get away with it in many contexts.  The LHS, even with the moc stitching, can be worn business casual without much difficulty.  It's a sharp loafer and fairly versatile.

 

NYC and DC have some well dressed people, but many aren't dressed any better than anywhere else.  

post #117815 of 122416
When I was living in nyc I never saw anything outside of ferragamo/Gucci loafers in office building situations in regards to nicer footwear. Only a couple Alden sightings here an there out in the wild and nothing in the likes of JL or EG. I feel like an LHS can be 'dressed' up to a degree, but I like the versatility of it cause it can be causal as well. Full straps and tassels for me at least feel a little more formal, but that's also probably do to the fact that I don't thing I could pull them off that well haha
post #117816 of 122416
I personally enjoy my tassel Mocs the most of my slip-ons. They are very versatile
post #117817 of 122416
I prefer the fit of my LHS, but my tassels look great with any outfit.
post #117818 of 122416

Tassels and full straps can be easily worn up in any business situation up to a suit IMO.  I wear my BB #8 tassels and black full straps often with a jacket and odd trousers.

post #117819 of 122416


Alpine grain short wing boots.
post #117820 of 122416
It's been a long time - I've been busy with work, travel and a new girlfriend. But it's fall and time for the best Alden pair I've owned:



post #117821 of 122416



BB 06603 Unilined Penny Loafer. The absolute most versatile shoe in my rotation. Next would be the BB Eight Tassel.
post #117822 of 122416
I don't know if this has been mentioned but myhabit.com (owned by Amazon) has some Alden suede loafers on their site

http://myhabit.com/ref=qd_mr_tw_l?refcust=6YXBYG7M2TBNPWM4DLYZ2YIOBM

$365

post #117823 of 122416

Great find. If they only had a size 8D!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

I don't know if this has been mentioned but myhabit.com (owned by Amazon) has some Alden suede loafers on their site

http://myhabit.com/ref=qd_mr_tw_l?refcust=6YXBYG7M2TBNPWM4DLYZ2YIOBM

$365

post #117824 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

It's been a long time - I've been busy with work, travel and a new girlfriend. But it's fall and time for the best Alden pair I've owned:




congrats on the new GF and the Indys.

Now for the $64,000 question - what does the new GF think of the Alden addiction??
post #117825 of 122416
She doesn't like the fact I wear mostly horsehide shoes but appreciates the fact that my shoes are better made than her $1,200 Louis Vuittons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.