Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7848post #117706 of 12241610/8/15 at 8:36ampost #117707 of 12241610/8/15 at 8:39amQuote:
I would agree that pretty much any cobbler can handle it. Cost will vary by region and cobbler reputation. In Pittsburgh, I have 2 cobblers that I regularly use and both charge $25 for just the sole (add $5 for heel but I rarely do that). Aram at ahonshoes charged me $40 and it was worth the extra charge for the shoes he worked on. It's no more functional but it is much nicer looking. For most shoes where your basic black topy will suffice, go with the cheaper option.post #117708 of 12241610/8/15 at 8:52ampost #117709 of 12241610/8/15 at 9:26ampost #117710 of 12241610/8/15 at 9:28ampost #117711 of 12241610/8/15 at 10:04ampost #117712 of 12241610/8/15 at 10:18ampost #117713 of 12241610/8/15 at 11:49ampost #117714 of 12241610/8/15 at 11:56ampost #117715 of 12241610/8/15 at 12:08pmpost #117716 of 12241610/8/15 at 12:22pmQuote:Sounds similar to my feet. I'd bet you are a 10.5 C Barrie and possibly 11C plaza......and yes, try modified last!Originally Posted by warenfetisch
Funny that you mention the size. My feet are just shape very unfortunate – rather wide up front, medium heel width, and rather flat instep.
I just posted a few days back that I have 10E (as in the pic), 10.5D, and a pair of 10D in Barrie, and none of them really works perfectly for me.
The 10D seems to be a perfect fit – until walking a lot in them or after like two hours. They are literally a few millimeters to short. My heel hurts a lot, and my toes are all so slightly cramped. However, the 10E, and 10.5D, which appear to hardly have any difference size-wize when I wear them, are all a little too big. So I wear them right now with a thin cork insert, but I am planning to get orthopedic inserts soon. I hope this solves the problem with my low instep.
To put this into context: I had a 10E Plaza Last shoe, which I had to return. Just too narrow in the toe area. I have a 10E Aberdeen Tassel, which is really painful after four hours. And a 10.5E Tassel, which again is too big. Then again, I bought a (fairly used) pair of 10E Captoe (2146) on Aberdeen and they more or less fit.
Sounds horrible, feels like that, too. Alden does not have THE size for me, apparently.
Anyways, if you (or anyone) has a suggestion in this regard I am very thankful to hear it – I would be happy to solve my sizing mystery!post #117717 of 12241610/8/15 at 12:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by NAMORQuote:Originally Posted by csmitty
Dressing down the 975.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Are those the pomegranate gustins? Those are a great fit with color 8. Love it!
Thanks. They are the Natural Indigo x Persimmon. Not sure if that was the one you were thinking of. The weft is a nice change of pace though and once they break in and stretch a bit will probably be favorite pair. I just got lucky and found them in the stock store and had a credit.post #117718 of 12241610/8/15 at 12:40pmYeah that's what I was trying to say. I remember seeing them and thinking it was a little gimmicky but your fit is perfect. It can be difficulty pairing bright blue denim with "purple" shoes. This is a fine example of pulling it off wellpost #117719 of 12241610/8/15 at 12:41pmpost #117720 of 12241610/8/15 at 1:12pmQuote:
Thank you very much. Was a bit of an experiment but I'm happy with how it came out. An antique edge might blend a little better.
I really like the rust tone look poking through the indigo, not jarring, just a slight visual difference.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Currently, there are 1576 Active Users (302 Members and 1274 Guests)
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 minute ago
- › What are you listening to? 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Junkard Boots 7 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 9 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 11 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...