or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7771  

post #116551 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Gentlemen,

I have a next purchase question I'd like your opinions on. Apologize in advance for the length.

I have to choose one boot to get from my fiance as a gift and she knows I've been wanting a pair of Alden boots. I am thinking about getting the Innsbruck Indy but also considering the TSM #8 grant lasted shell cordovan perforated captoe.

The reason it's between those three is because I live in NYC so anything from Epaulet would cost me sales tax and that makes the Innsbruck Indys somewhere around $650, compared to the grant shell boots which would be only ~$700 since TSM won't charge me sales tax, making the prices pretty comparable. They aren't comparable shoes in terms of style which I understand, but both have been pretty high on my want list for over a year now.

Which would you guys think is the better choice? I understand it's really up to me, but would like to hear rationalizations that maybe I'm not considering.

For context I generally wear wool slacks and a blazer to the office from Fall to Spring so I wear jeans and chinos maybe 3 days out of the week. I have 1 pair of saddle shell captoe boots from Carmina and one pair of golden brown (tan) CXL boots from AE that don't fit too well. I have two other pairs of #8, austerity brogue boot from Carmina and the Alden antique LWB.

Thanks guys!

 

I think the grant is dressier looking and would not wear it with casual clothes so that would be out for me most likely especially with the double leather sole and dark edge dressing - I would have the edge dressing lightened and a mini lug toppy added to them if I was choosing them especially living in NYC as you are. 

 

of course this is a nice compromise

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_indy_boot_shell_cordovan_color_8/pvc-ald-mxsb-40568c_ald_m_indy_boot_shell_cordovan.html

post #116552 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Gentlemen,

I have a next purchase question I'd like your opinions on. Apologize in advance for the length.

I have to choose one boot to get from my fiance as a gift and she knows I've been wanting a pair of Alden boots. I am thinking about getting the Innsbruck Indy but also considering the TSM #8 grant lasted shell cordovan perforated captoe.

The reason it's between those three is because I live in NYC so anything from Epaulet would cost me sales tax and that makes the Innsbruck Indys somewhere around $650, compared to the grant shell boots which would be only ~$700 since TSM won't charge me sales tax, making the prices pretty comparable. They aren't comparable shoes in terms of style which I understand, but both have been pretty high on my want list for over a year now.

Which would you guys think is the better choice? I understand it's really up to me, but would like to hear rationalizations that maybe I'm not considering.

For context I generally wear wool slacks and a blazer to the office from Fall to Spring so I wear jeans and chinos maybe 3 days out of the week. I have 1 pair of saddle shell captoe boots from Carmina and one pair of golden brown (tan) CXL boots from AE that don't fit too well. I have two other pairs of #8, austerity brogue boot from Carmina and the Alden antique LWB.

Thanks guys!

I would go with the Shell from the Mart personally. I think the Grant is a tweener in formality and given appropriate measures can be worn up or down. The Indy is purely a dress down and should not be worn with Wool Slacks and a Blazer in NYC.
post #116553 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


I would go with the Shell from the Mart personally. I think the Grant is a tweener in formality and given appropriate measures can be worn up or down. The Indy is purely a dress down and should not be worn with Wool Slacks and a Blazer in NYC.


I agree with this. The Grant last isn't so formal that it can't be worn more casually, like with denim. Color # 8 is perfect for versatility, too. I have the J.Crew PCT boot and absolutely love it.

post #116554 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Gentlemen,

I have a next purchase question I'd like your opinions on. Apologize in advance for the length.

I have to choose one boot to get from my fiance as a gift and she knows I've been wanting a pair of Alden boots. I am thinking about getting the Innsbruck Indy but also considering the TSM #8 grant lasted shell cordovan perforated captoe.

The reason it's between those three is because I live in NYC so anything from Epaulet would cost me sales tax and that makes the Innsbruck Indys somewhere around $650, compared to the grant shell boots which would be only ~$700 since TSM won't charge me sales tax, making the prices pretty comparable. They aren't comparable shoes in terms of style which I understand, but both have been pretty high on my want list for over a year now.

Which would you guys think is the better choice? I understand it's really up to me, but would like to hear rationalizations that maybe I'm not considering.

For context I generally wear wool slacks and a blazer to the office from Fall to Spring so I wear jeans and chinos maybe 3 days out of the week. I have 1 pair of saddle shell captoe boots from Carmina and one pair of golden brown (tan) CXL boots from AE that don't fit too well. I have two other pairs of #8, austerity brogue boot from Carmina and the Alden antique LWB.

Thanks guys!

given the bolded, I would go with the Innsbruck Indy. Sure the Carmina boot is a different style but personally I like a little variety. I end up wearing my Ultimate Indy boots more than anything else and the Innsbruck are pretty similar
post #116555 of 122416

I see a lot of discussion on the different lasts used by Alden but its all about looks and how much toe room is available, can anyone share some light in regards of a good last for high arch footed people. I have a Barrie and a Grant but neither of them seem to be anything special for arch support.

post #116556 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by J One View Post
 

I see a lot of discussion on the different lasts used by Alden but its all about looks and how much toe room is available, can anyone share some light in regards of a good last for high arch footed people. I have a Barrie and a Grant but neither of them seem to be anything special for arch support.


Modified is pretty much made specifically for people with high arches. Look to Moulded Shoe, a shop in NY that pretty much exclusively carries Modified last shoes. The Shoe Mart also has a few Modified last models.

 

379X last is also good for people with high arches. Generally can find it at TheShoeMart on their irregulars lists, as it's usually an Asian market last.

 

Neither last is elegant or pretty - they're basically orthopedic lasts.

post #116557 of 122416

Since you guys helped me out with my duffle bag purchase I figured would go for a second round.

 

Question for you gents...I am a full go casual dress mostly cords, chinos, some casual tweed etc and some of my boots sort of do not really go that great to my eye with those pants. For the fall and spring I tend to wear my dress pants on the nicer days-normally I dumb the pants down with something as simple as an untucked dress shirt or long sleeve polo.

 

Anyone have any other suggestions that work well with dress pants? I have all types of shades and textures of pants. Again looking to take the dress pant to a more casual place as opposed to chucking them all out or donating them.

post #116558 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post

is there an edge dressing that matches alden's light antique? what are people using for general maintenance?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post


Looking forward to this answer

 

I just use the AE neutral edge dressing on antique and love the results, just gives them a nice fresh, wet gloss look.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

I use AE Walnut Shoe Polish and Brown Shoe Polish to add pigment when necessary and then seal with AE's Natural Edge Trim. If pigment isn't needed, then I just use the Edge Trim.

-Mike

 

Might have to give this a try. I have a pair of Lindrick boots that needed kind of a brown transparent edge dressing, I tried the AE chili but it turned out to be a bit too red.

 

 

post #116559 of 122416

well, I finally get to get out of town and go to the big city.  leaving rural Oregon for a quick trip to visit some like minded shaving buddies in seattle.  will be wearing my new snuff suede from b and m and get to visit Yenni.  should be a fun trip.  we have enough rain here so I hope it is sunny in Seattle.  got some danite soles if necessary.  this is the first time I ever have taken a separate piece of luggage for shoes only. don't you love obsessions?   hell I even wear Whites boots now.  I want to kick trees!  just kiddin  

post #116560 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Snuff WT boot x Brick & Mortar today.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Love those!
post #116561 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

I would go with the Shell from the Mart personally. I think the Grant is a tweener in formality and given appropriate measures can be worn up or down. The Indy is purely a dress down and should not be worn with Wool Slacks and a Blazer in NYC.

+1
post #116562 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by J One View Post

I see a lot of discussion on the different lasts used by Alden but its all about looks and how much toe room is available, can anyone share some light in regards of a good last for high arch footed people. I have a Barrie and a Grant but neither of them seem to be anything special for arch support.

I've found the Modified to give better support and it has a narrower heel than the two you mention.
post #116563 of 122416

Snuff LHS

 

post #116564 of 122416
@blue collar

Nice 990's!! Congrats!
post #116565 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Gentlemen,

I have a next purchase question I'd like your opinions on. Apologize in advance for the length.

I have to choose one boot to get from my fiance as a gift and she knows I've been wanting a pair of Alden boots. I am thinking about getting the Innsbruck Indy but also considering the TSM #8 grant lasted shell cordovan perforated captoe.

The reason it's between those three is because I live in NYC so anything from Epaulet would cost me sales tax and that makes the Innsbruck Indys somewhere around $650, compared to the grant shell boots which would be only ~$700 since TSM won't charge me sales tax, making the prices pretty comparable. They aren't comparable shoes in terms of style which I understand, but both have been pretty high on my want list for over a year now.

Which would you guys think is the better choice? I understand it's really up to me, but would like to hear rationalizations that maybe I'm not considering.

For context I generally wear wool slacks and a blazer to the office from Fall to Spring so I wear jeans and chinos maybe 3 days out of the week. I have 1 pair of saddle shell captoe boots from Carmina and one pair of golden brown (tan) CXL boots from AE that don't fit too well. I have two other pairs of #8, austerity brogue boot from Carmina and the Alden antique LWB.

Thanks guys!

If you live in NYC you most certainly know or maybe work with someone from New Jersey you could ship to. This would be my recommendation if you want the Indys from epaulet. Otherwise it's a tough decision. Good luck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.