or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7705  

post #115561 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

TSM Ravello NST boot.

baldy[1].gif
post #115562 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstldr View Post

Gentlemen,

Good afternoon.  I am a long time reader, first time poster.  I am continually amazed by the assistance (and wit!) offered to new members of this forum.  I have some posts I would like to make and intend on doing so at my earliest convenience - inclusive of pictures smile.gif , but first I ask permission to impose upon you a question.  I am trying to decide on a cordovan #8 short wing blucher and both Alden of Carmel and Leathersoul has one with AoC being on commando with dark edging and LS on I think double leather with antique edging.  Props to Adam at AoC who has been unbelievably responsive.  No doubt Will at LS will be as well given the time difference, he certainly has been great in the past!  My intended purpose for the shoe is to be paired with trousers and an odd jacket in a work environment inclusive of business casual as well as traditional business dress.  Do the folks on this forum generally believe that the commando sole is appropriate for this type of use?  Additional information which may be useful is that I live in Florida and so the shoes will see a bit of rain, travel to main cities such as NY, Boston, Atlanta, DC, etc… and am in the banking profession, commercial currently not IB.

I appreciate the time you take to respond a new Alden fan!  BTW, DANG what an expensive, but great hobby!  

Alden's Commando sole has a fairly minimal aesthetic. I think the better question for you is whether the antique edge is too casual for your work environment.
post #115563 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

Interesting thought. What Alden shells do you have in the closet unworn? I have 3 pairs: Brooks unlined lhs in whiskey, ptb in whiskey, and Brooks ptb in #8. A few more pairs have fewer than 5 wearings.

 

Only 1 that I plan to keep for sure......ravello wingtip boot

post #115564 of 122416
well, we've reached a new level of shoe addiction. previously, to be in the club all you had to do was own and wear a ton of expensive shoes. now, its own and wear a ton of shoes and also own new and unworn pairs. this is some next level shit
post #115565 of 122416
I have worn every pair I own. If they don't get worn, they get sold.
post #115566 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I have worn every pair I own. If they don't get worn, they get sold.

That feels very restricting wink.gif
post #115567 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I have worn every pair I own. If they don't get worn, they get sold.

crazy talk!
post #115568 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

well, we've reached a new level of shoe addiction. previously, to be in the club all you had to do was own and wear a ton of expensive shoes. now, its own and wear a ton of shoes and also own new and unworn pairs. this is some next level shit

Some have closets; I have a museum. Lol
post #115569 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstldr View Post

Gentlemen,

Good afternoon.  I am a long time reader, first time poster.  I am continually amazed by the assistance (and wit!) offered to new members of this forum.  I have some posts I would like to make and intend on doing so at my earliest convenience - inclusive of pictures smile.gif , but first I ask permission to impose upon you a question.  I am trying to decide on a cordovan #8 short wing blucher and both Alden of Carmel and Leathersoul has one with AoC being on commando with dark edging and LS on I think double leather with antique edging.  Props to Adam at AoC who has been unbelievably responsive.  No doubt Will at LS will be as well given the time difference, he certainly has been great in the past!  My intended purpose for the shoe is to be paired with trousers and an odd jacket in a work environment inclusive of business casual as well as traditional business dress.  Do the folks on this forum generally believe that the commando sole is appropriate for this type of use?  Additional information which may be useful is that I live in Florida and so the shoes will see a bit of rain, travel to main cities such as NY, Boston, Atlanta, DC, etc… and am in the banking profession, commercial currently not IB.

I appreciate the time you take to respond a new Alden fan!  BTW, DANG what an expensive, but great hobby!  

From where I sit based on your environment, it really is a matter of which style you like best. I had the SW from AoC and I never hesitated to dress it up, and that includes suits. The commando is so minimal that I never felt out of place with them. Having said that, I really like the color 8/antique combo for casual and business casual. It's likely just me but I would not wear antique edge with a suit. Slacks and a jacket, but not a suit. Since it sounds like a slack and jacket is about as formal as you get at work, I really think it is a matter of personal preference.

You really can't go wrong either way. Both are great shoes.
post #115570 of 122416
Yup, mine get worn or they hit the auction block. Only have 12 boots/shoes with 3-4 more casual sneakers. Most of my friends think I have a serious problem. I should send them pics of some of your closets!
post #115571 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Barrie. Those are or were most likely seconds. TheShoeMart had a number of those in their seconds pile the last time that I swung by.

Reference:
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-saddle-oxford-calfskin-brown/pvc-ald-mxsdlp-9942_ald_m_saddle_oxford_calfskin.html

-Mike

Thanks for the info Mike!
post #115572 of 122416


if your feet were larger and boatlike like mine we could trade.  I got a nice mechanical citizen and wore it once.  the beautiful burl display case looks nice. maybe it need framing with horsehide shell on the sides? being a newbie I might be posting this incorrectly but this post was a reply to Michigan planner. sorry if it doen't make sense here.  next one up was for the smashing sally struther comment.


Edited by daveinsweethome - 8/28/15 at 3:20pm
post #115573 of 122416


T O U C H E !

post #115574 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by loplop View Post


Fantastic, thank you. Will pick up some pairs on the way home.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfclarky View Post


Dude, thanks!


I got five pair. The free shipping gives me a pair and a half for free. Don't need them now, but I will before long. Gotta get them cheap when you can.

post #115575 of 122416

I don't have the willpower to not wear new boots.  They're on my feet as soon as I get them.  @NAMOR is right, this is some crazy next level shit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.