Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 2:43 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7632post #114466 of 1224168/8/15 at 5:11ampost #114467 of 1224168/8/15 at 5:28amQuote:Originally Posted by walds11
Will contacted me the other day
Awesome man, youll love these. Will has always been a pleasure to work with as well. He changed my perception of LS.post #114468 of 1224168/8/15 at 5:50amA lot going on here. First two are yesterday's shot of leffot dovers. Posted because someone just asked about wrinkling on unlined dovers. These have become my go-to shoes with denim and I've probably worn them 10 times. I had heard about heavy wrinkling but that hasn't been my experience.
Was changing my avatar and found this funny because when I first started buying Aldens, cigar was the only shade I didn't like. It wasn't just my least favorite shade, I actually didn't like it. They were just 'Brown' shoes. Didn't see the allure. Now I can't get enough of them. Strange how tastes evolve.
Got a couple of PM's on the rack and this is a full frontal view. Top shelf is my favorite 4. My wife gives me a hard time whenever she see's me rearranging them. She lovingly says it nice that she is no longer the only shoe wh*** in the family. I never lose sight of how fortunate I am, especially when leffot dovers don't make the first string.
When winter comes, I'll swap out the top shelf for boots. Chukkas fit in the rack just fine. Boots have to display on the top shelf.
Edited by Shawnc - 8/8/15 at 9:19ampost #114469 of 1224168/8/15 at 6:04ampost #114470 of 1224168/8/15 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Raneleigh
I think the bigger question is...what determines price? And is that price justified? I've seen $600 shoes where the difference between them and $1,200 shoes is negligible. I've also seen $1,200 shoes that don't deserve to be. So I don't think it's a fair assumption that a $1,200 pair of shoes automatically has a better quality of stitching and overall finishing as well as a higher level of QC versus a $600 pair of shoes. $600 is a substantial sum for a pair of shoes. At that level, fit and finish should be outstanding in my opinion and the law of diminishing marginal returns should come into play beyond that dollar mark.
Regardless, what I do know is that a heritage brand like Alden, where the shoes are crafted by hand in America and the website has a section devoted to "standards of quality", should not even remotely let shoes with the defects I encountered (not once, but twice in a row) out of their hands. If I had only received one pair in this condition, I would have chalked it up as one that just fell through the cracks. Receiving two with the same issues instills a lack of confidence that a third pair would yield any better results.
If I've just been lucky in receiving decent quality Aldens thus far and my luck was bound to end, then what are we doing here beside drinking the kool-aid? How is it acceptable that we roll the dice and write checks for $500+ and just accept the good with the bad with a smile on our faces? What we need to do is demand better! Otherwise, what motivation is there to improve? We are simply rewarding a company for an acceptable pair of expensive shoes 50 percent of the time!
Ok, rant over.
I wholeheartedly agree with you here. We all continue to buy no matter the defects or price increases. So Alden says "Hey, they are still buying them, let's see what else we can get away with".post #114471 of 1224168/8/15 at 6:19ampost #114472 of 1224168/8/15 at 6:22amQuote:
Hehehe, nice! And interesting info for people with sizing questions :) Thx for sharing!post #114473 of 1224168/8/15 at 6:23amQuote:
Yeah man, can't wait to get these. I always wanted a CXL Indy on commando sole, plus I like the darker welt on the LS version. I should have them next week. Total, almost six month wait, not too bad.post #114474 of 1224168/8/15 at 7:58ampost #114475 of 1224168/8/15 at 8:05ampost #114476 of 1224168/8/15 at 8:50amMissed the last 806 posts, lol, so I'm skipping ahead to today. The Leffot Walter boot is nice, but a double leather sole with light trim or commando sole with light from would look better than the crepe, IMO. Happy Saturday peeps!post #114477 of 1224168/8/15 at 9:15ampost #114478 of 1224168/8/15 at 9:21ampost #114479 of 1224168/8/15 at 9:45ampost #114480 of 1224168/8/15 at 10:08am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Currently, there are 1330 Active Users (291 Members and 1039 Guests)
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 1 minute ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 5 minutes ago
- › Over the Shoulders, Under the Knees: Long Coats 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › MA-1 Jackets Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...