or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7630  

post #114436 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneleigh View Post


I think the bigger question is...what determines price?  And is that price justified?  I've seen $600 shoes where the difference between them and $1,200 shoes is negligible.  I've also seen $1,200 shoes that don't deserve to be.  So I don't think it's a fair assumption that a $1,200 pair of shoes automatically has a better quality of stitching and overall finishing as well as a higher level of QC versus a $600 pair of shoes.  $600 is a substantial sum for a pair of shoes.  At that level, fit and finish should be outstanding in my opinion and the law of diminishing marginal returns should come into play beyond that dollar mark.  

Regardless, what I do know is that a heritage brand like Alden, where the shoes are crafted by hand in America and the website has a section devoted to "standards of quality", should not even remotely let shoes with the defects I encountered (not once, but twice in a row) out of their hands.  If I had only received one pair in this condition, I would have chalked it up as one that just fell through the cracks.  Receiving two with the same issues instills a lack of confidence that a third pair would yield any better results.  

If I've just been lucky in receiving decent quality Aldens thus far and my luck was bound to end, then what are we doing here beside drinking the kool-aid?  How is it acceptable that we roll the dice and write checks for $500+ and just accept the good with the bad with a smile on our faces?  What we need to do is demand better!  Otherwise, what motivation is there to improve?  We are simply rewarding a company for an acceptable pair of expensive shoes 50 percent of the time!

Ok, rant over.  wink.gif  

What are the defects that you are complaining about? They weren't that noticeable and they will end up much worse after a half dozen wears. They are shoes, not Picassos.
post #114437 of 122416
No maker is immune to QC issues....while people rant (i do it sometimes too its cathartic ) in end alden has no need to change. What is unacceptable to someone is acceptable to someone else. If someone had five pairs of defective aldens in a row...they would still jump on a pair of exotics with the quickness.
post #114438 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post


What are the defects that you are complaining about? They weren't that noticeable and they will end up much worse after a half dozen wears. They are shoes, not Picassos.


Not noticeable?  Look again.  The stitching was so close to the edge, my concern was that some wear would release the stitching.  I have half a dozen pairs of Indy boots and the fronts can get pretty bunged up.  I am not confident in the integrity of stitching that close to the front of the boot, both on top and underneath.

 

Also, the first pair I received had the rear portion hanging off the back end too much.  The heel was a quarter of an inch inward.  This was more of an aesthetic issue, though I'm not sure how it would have held up with use either.

 

Clearly I made a mistake complaining about Alden on the Alden thread.  Forget what I have said, they are perfect, life is good.  And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

post #114439 of 122416
Acceptability is an individual decision it really doesnt matter what anyone else thinks...if it bothers the buyer the buyer should return them.
post #114440 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

No maker is immune to QC issues....while people rant (i do it sometimes too its cathartic ) in end alden has no need to change. What is unacceptable to someone is acceptable to someone else. If someone had five pairs of defective aldens in a row...they would still jump on a pair of exotics with the quickness.


Yes, I think you are absolutely right.  I was just disappointed.  I had wanted these boots for a long time and was looking forward to getting them finally.  I'm so turned off, I don't even want them anymore.  Doesn't mean I don't still love these:

 

post #114441 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Acceptability is an individual decision it really doesnt matter what anyone else thinks...if it bothers the buyer the buyer should return them.


Thank you.

post #114442 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post



Alden is fairly production-constrained, and is committed to maintaining a reasonable stock of its standard, stock collection, which only includes models in black and color #8 shell. Thus, they devote less production time to other shell colors. Additionally, the lighter shells, such as Whiskey, Ravello, and color #4, tend to require higher quality, "clear" shells, which are less common. While Horween makes lighter shells regularly, they just are more constrained in production, and there is significantly less demand for them.

So basically, it's a triple whammy:

(1) Alden orders fewer non-black/color # 8 shells because they want to make sure they have a reasonable stock of their standard lineup (black/color #8 only)
(2) Horween produces fewer lighter shells because they require a higher quality shell that has fewer imperfections
(3) There is less demand for lighter shells in general, as most shoemakers find that darker shells like black, color #8, and dark cognac (which AE calls Brown and C&J and other use) are much easier to sell. And they're easier to mask imperfections from scuffs and other issues during production.

Your best bet for the lighter, "rarer" shells is from smaller shoemakers that have less of a standard catalog. For example, Enzo Bonafe has no issue sourcing color #4 shell, while Carmina has a steady supply of color #2 shell (which they call Rubi), although right now Carmina has none available for new shoes. Carmina also seems to have a decent supply for cognac and saddle. Remember, though, that these shoemakers produce many fewer pairs than Alden does.
Hey bud thank you for the info not only it cleared up lot of things but learned thing or two biggrin.gif
post #114443 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

The only one I know of making shoes in color 4 is Enzo Bonafe. Skoak has an LWB incoming from them in color 4 for the fall.
Good,to know about this would you say it's reddish brownish color?
post #114444 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post


Good,to know about this would you say it's reddish brownish color?

 

There are plenty of photos of Color #4 on the internet. In fact, there's one just a few posts up. Several members here have Color #4 Aldens, and there are photos everywhere, including on Mike's website (aldenofsandiego.com).


Supposedly, the "color #" spectrum breaks down as follows:

 

Color #8 - the classic, deep burgundy shell

Color #6 - halfway between color #8 and color #4 - it's noticeably lighter than color 8, but still a fairly dark reddish burgundy

Color #4 - half as dark as color #8 - thus, it's somewhere between cherry red and burgundy, sort of a reddish/burgundyish brown

Color #2 - pretty much a cherry red shell

 

In order of most popular to least popular (in terms of production), I'd guess it goes something like 8 > 4 > 2 > 6.

post #114445 of 122416
^this
post #114446 of 122416
Thank you for the info very informative will have to look at EB color 4 then.
post #114447 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

LMAO

+1 wink.gif
post #114448 of 122416
Crying my ass off.
post #114449 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

No maker is immune to QC issues....while people rant (i do it sometimes too its cathartic ) in end alden has no need to change. What is unacceptable to someone is acceptable to someone else. If someone had five pairs of defective aldens in a row...they would still jump on a pair of exotics with the quickness.

 

Agree.  Alden seems to have me QC issues because we let them get away with it.  We created this big demand for exotic shells that Alden are able to pass off defective products by giving us a 50 dollar discount (guilty).  :)

 

I own shoes from a few SF popular middle tier shoe makers.  Alden has nothing on packaging and finishing to them.  Still, I own more Alden than Carmina, Vass, C & J, and AE combined.  

post #114450 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneleigh View Post


Not noticeable?  Look again.  The stitching was so close to the edge, my concern was that some wear would release the stitching.  I have half a dozen pairs of Indy boots and the fronts can get pretty bunged up.  I am not confident in the integrity of stitching that close to the front of the boot, both on top and underneath.

Also, the first pair I received had the rear portion hanging off the back end too much.  The heel was a quarter of an inch inward.  This was more of an aesthetic issue, though I'm not sure how it would have held up with use either.

Clearly I made a mistake complaining about Alden on the Alden thread. Forget what I have said, they are perfect, life is good.  And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Not at all. My guess is that there are many on this thread who feel exactly as you do. Given your background, you don't seem like a chronic complainer, and if you were, so what. I'll never understand the argument that because Aldens 'only' cost $700 versus a $1,200 pair from another maker that you shouldn't expect a similar level of quality. That's insane. The overwhelming majority of people would be happy to own a $200 pair of shoes. When one spends $700, he has every right to expect a flawless pair of shoes. Someone else spending $1,200 doesn't change that basic fact.

The only minor imperfections on Aldens seem to be on someone else's shoes. We all get ticked when it happens to us. The fact that you choose to vent is normal and understandable. Heck, isn't that what a forum is for?

I learned a lot from your experience and I'm guessing many others did as well thanks for sharing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.