Carmina's Rubi is color #2.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7629post #114422 of 1224168/7/15 at 1:59pmpost #114423 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:04pm
I asked about this when I visited Horween. Nick told me that Carmina's rubi is just color #2, and they call it rubi because marketing.
Apparently, the reason Alden's color 2 LWBs look less red and more purple than Carmina's rubi is due to the whatever Alden did to the shell to make it a matte finish. All shells leave Horween with a shiny, glossy finish, and occasionally shoemakers will strip the glazing off. It seems that's what Alden did for the color 2 LWB, which changed the way the color looks.
Carmina, according to Nick, applies basically no additional dyes or finishes to the shells, thus making their shells some of the closest to pure Horween finish that you can get.
Of course, who knows for sure.post #114424 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:05pmQuote:
Pepper, I intentionally cutoff the list after my third Ravello shoe. They are in descending order of darkness, so Black on top and Whiskey on bottom. Suedes and CXL are at the very bottom below Shell Cordovan makeups.
The graph is made via an "Analysis" tab, which I haven't updated in a while. I guess that I should just convert it into a pivot table so that it updates more dynamically...
I thought a lot about getting a Green Shell Cordovan model during the AE Trunk Show. I got very close, but decided against it, I do not regret that decision. I partly couldn't decide if I wanted a Double Monk, Tassel, or LWB. To me, since I usually dress formally or semi-formally, Green Shell would be useful on Christmas and St. Patrick's Day and that is about it. My good friend, MrDV, has a Green Shell LWB from Carmina. He advised me against getting the Green Shell. Pretty sure he has worn those LWBs maybe once or twice... :-)
-Mikepost #114425 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:11pmpost #114426 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:19pmpost #114427 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:20pmpost #114428 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:20pmQuote:
Terrible customer service...post #114429 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:21pmpost #114430 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:21pmpost #114431 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:26pmpost #114432 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:27pm
Haha famous last words- just wait until AoC gets a surprise delivery of ravello lwbs or someone lists a barely worn pair of cigar indys in your size....
Alot of action this afternoon on the Alden thread. Half day summer fridays?
Mike- nice work on the ss. I did something similar to track spending on my shoes. Maybe I'll track wears for fun, but I know my winner - color 8 LWB by a mile. I have to be north of 300 wears by now.
Everyone enjoy the weekend and wear your Aldens in good health.post #114433 of 1224168/7/15 at 2:49pmQuote:
Heh. I passed on a pair of cigar indy boots recently, as I'm not a huge fan of the indy pattern/stitching (gasp!), and I already have a ravello LWB (and another on preorder...).
Now, if someone were to make available a whiskey LWB in 8C or 8D or a color #4 wingtip boot, my story might change...post #114434 of 1224168/7/15 at 3:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by tifosi
I totally see where you are coming from. My question to you is; Let's assume you have the $600 Alden and a $1200 calf shoe from a different maker. What sets that $1200 shoe apart from the Alden that is made of calf and is constructed in a similar manner? "Paying for the brand" is not a reasonable excuse as 99% of world could only name Nike and Reebok if you asked them to name a couple of shoe brands.
For me, in my opinion, it is things like quality of stitching, overall finishing and QC that sets makers apart. Give Alden and <insert high end brand here> the same materials and that high end maker will produce a better product.
I think getting a perfect Alden is more LUCKY than UNLUCKY. I'd say you had a pretty good run going for your first 90%...it was bound to end. :)
I think the bigger question is...what determines price? And is that price justified? I've seen $600 shoes where the difference between them and $1,200 shoes is negligible. I've also seen $1,200 shoes that don't deserve to be. So I don't think it's a fair assumption that a $1,200 pair of shoes automatically has a better quality of stitching and overall finishing as well as a higher level of QC versus a $600 pair of shoes. $600 is a substantial sum for a pair of shoes. At that level, fit and finish should be outstanding in my opinion and the law of diminishing marginal returns should come into play beyond that dollar mark.
Regardless, what I do know is that a heritage brand like Alden, where the shoes are crafted by hand in America and the website has a section devoted to "standards of quality", should not even remotely let shoes with the defects I encountered (not once, but twice in a row) out of their hands. If I had only received one pair in this condition, I would have chalked it up as one that just fell through the cracks. Receiving two with the same issues instills a lack of confidence that a third pair would yield any better results.
If I've just been lucky in receiving decent quality Aldens thus far and my luck was bound to end, then what are we doing here beside drinking the kool-aid? How is it acceptable that we roll the dice and write checks for $500+ and just accept the good with the bad with a smile on our faces? What we need to do is demand better! Otherwise, what motivation is there to improve? We are simply rewarding a company for an acceptable pair of expensive shoes 50 percent of the time!
Ok, rant over.post #114435 of 1224168/7/15 at 3:03pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 8 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 16 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 21 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 21 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...