or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7613  

post #114181 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniusDrunk View Post

I think I know the answer to this one, but it's better to check with expertise beforehand:


Stylistically, are the color 8 wingtip boots generally more formal than the color 8 cap toe boots? How does the creasing of the cordovan vary between the two for anyone who can speak to that?


I've been set for a while on the color 8 wingtip boots, but now I realize my general style is a little less formal than what I thought it'd be. I'm in jeans and trousers generally, and only wear a suit no more than 3 times a season on average (around a dozen times a year). Most of the time when I wear my trousers or jeans it's with a button down without a tie, sometimes with a blazer or odd jacket on top (rarely), and every now and then I'll have to or feel compelled to don a tie. With that in mind, would you recommend the wingtip or the cap toe boots?

Either style would suit your needs, imo.

I don't think there's any noticeable creasing difference other than the WT has some decoration to break up a crease - but the creases can still be seen.
post #114182 of 122416

J. Gilbert 6-eye Hummus suede Chukka

 

post #114183 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post

Does anyone know if this is with dark or antique edge, btw? Looks like dark on the photo, but not sure if that's of the actual makeup. Would love if it was antique.

Edit: Just spoke to Sean, it's the dark edge (as pictured). Got on the pre-order anyway (thanks, JSO1!). Guess beggars can't be choosers. Could always send them off to Randy the cobbler...

Damn I couldn't resist these despite already having a pair of Epaulet Brixton boots in #8 with antique edge. I'm in slacks and sport coats to work all week so plaza and dark edge works better for me, IMHO.

Brixtons may be heading to B&S.
post #114184 of 122416
I'm fairly new to the Alden game. I have 2 pair of boots and a 3rd on order. I am wondering why I see so many lightly used Alden shoes for sale on eBay. Any thoughts from the guys who have been in this forum for a long time??
post #114185 of 122416

Quick question for those who have sole saver/topy done to leather soles: if i'm wanting a 2mm thick piece, how important is it for the cobbler to sand the existing leather sole down 2mm so that it's completely flush?  On @mdubs site I can't tell if that's been done...almost looks like it is transitioned well near the middle but still added thickness to the sole: http://aldenofsandiego.com/extending-the-life-of-a-leather-sole/

 

 

 

Compare it to this pic from the album at http://imgur.com/a/iN7Em by reddit user 6t5g in this thread, in which it's stated that the cobbler took about 1/16" off the sole to retain the stance:

 

post #114186 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty123 View Post

I'm fairly new to the Alden game. I have 2 pair of boots and a 3rd on order. I am wondering why I see so many lightly used Alden shoes for sale on eBay. Any thoughts from the guys who have been in this forum for a long time??

Fit issues seem are probably the most common reason.

Other reasons might include having too many pairs (ya right!) or having shoes that are too similar in nature to one another.
post #114187 of 122416

After a brief scare with UPS My Choice, they should have been at the store as directed, and where they said they were delivered, these beauties got unboxed.

 


Have to excuse the chinos. Had to try them on. 


With their recent cigar brothers


Hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

post #114188 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

Fit issues seem are probably the most common reason.

Other reasons might include having too many pairs (ya right!) or having shoes that are too similar in nature to one another.

Aldens also hold their value pretty well and so it's fairly easy to sell them. I own shoes that I wouldn't even bother selling just because I wouldn't get anything in return for them...
post #114189 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

Here's a question about Alden pricing compared to AE:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Alden and AE cordovan shoes are somewhat similar in price.  Let's take the PTB and the Leeds as our examples. The AE Leeds comes in at $650 and the Alden PTB comes in at $682 (a somewhat negligible 5% increase over AE).  

My question  relates to the calf version of these shoes.  The Leeds comes in at $385 and the PTB comes in at $551.  That's a major 43% increase!  

As far as I can tell there are a few options to explain this discrepancy:

A - Allen Edmonds is giving us a real sweet deal on their calf shoes or...
B - Allen Edmonds is ripping us off on their cordovan shoes or...
C - Alden is ripping us off on their calf shoes or....
D - Alden is giving us a real sweet deal on their cordovan shoes.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

Someone else already hit on this, but I will chime in very quickly. Both makers make nice shoes and are both relatively well made. I personally believe that Alden uses slightly nicer Calfskin. That said, I own no Alden calfskin shoes from their main collection, I just have a Cape Cod Horse Bit Loafer. You will also, if you look at the details, the Alden welts are a much more precise stitch and it typically matches up amazingly well with the fudging. Unfortunately tiny differences like this drive up the production costs significantly. Just like the upgrade cost from Alden to EG. I personally believe that Alden makes a superior Cordovan model and at the price differential, it's not much of a question. The value proposition does become harder with calfskin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisefi View Post


Don, these are amazing.  Great pick up!  When was this order from?  Trying to gauge if this means the cigar WT boots are incoming soon or not.  Amazing shade and you wear them well.  Congrats!

Mike, these are stunners!  Enjoy.  You and Don are both are killing it in the cigar shoe game today!  Are these TSM?

Nice Ben!  You know how I feel about these!  These are the perfect Cigar shade.  The light is showing them off big time!  Details on the pants?

Thanks Chris, they are from Alden Madison. Madison does it on the Aberdeen Last. ShoeMart does it on the Barrie. I prefer the Aberdeen, particularly on the NST due to the longer seam stitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handcuffed View Post

^I had to do a double-take that you weren't mdubs! Nice looking loafers!

Those are me! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

The unlined whiskey looks a little schmutzy in the creases for @mdubs. Are you treating this shell differently than your other lighter shell?

Ha! Two things are working against me on them. First and foremost, they are unlined. It's really hard to get into them and not crease them even a little. Secondly, I actually bought these second hand off of eBay. Probably one of my best eBay pickups ever. They were pretty stinking rough when I first got them, and I got a great deal on them, like around $250-$300. I have been slowly nursing them back to health as they seemed to have been fairly neglected by their previous owner. Also, due to this and due to the fact that they have a Toppy on them, I tend to be pretty rough on them and wear them on days in which I am going to be doing a ton of walking. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasshawn View Post

Just received these natty cxl lwb's from the Bureau Belfast. I'm pretty damn happy with what I'm seeing here. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
26c9e38de1db09b9a324d44ed53a73a0.jpg8b62e110472a735e1d78717234ee384e.jpg39b6e57c26d8e913f036293cdbf2a79b.jpg

Now I just have to take them in for Topies and tie taps. I'll enjoy them on the carpet for a bit first.

Congrats! Enjoy them, the CXL LWB is a great model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

J. Gilbert 6-eye Hummus suede Chukka
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Awesome as always Don!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ7 View Post

Quick question for those who have sole saver/topy done to leather soles: if i'm wanting a 2mm thick piece, how important is it for the cobbler to sand the existing leather sole down 2mm so that it's completely flush?  On @mdubs
 site I can't tell if that's been done...almost looks like it is transitioned well near the middle but still added thickness to the sole: http://aldenofsandiego.com/extending-the-life-of-a-leather-sole/
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Compare it to this pic from the album at http://imgur.com/a/iN7Em by reddit user 6t5g in this thread, in which it's stated that the cobbler took about 1/16" off the sole to retain the stance:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Yeah, I did not request the cobbler to sand them down much. I don't like damaging the stitching between the outsold and welt. They just sand it down the bare minimum necessary to get a surface that can take the Toppy glue. They actually instead taper the Toppy on all the edges to provide a cleaner look. The 1mm offset doesn't bother me at all. I never even notice the difference but enjoy the grip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

After a brief scare with UPS My Choice, they should have been at the store as directed, and where they said they were delivered, these beauties got unboxed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Have to excuse the chinos. Had to try them on. 



With their recent cigar brothers Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

Glad you got them! They look superb! :-)

-Mike
post #114190 of 122416


AoC Cigar LWB
post #114191 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post

Alden Madison does the Natty CXL loafer with lug rubber sole.

think the issue here is going to be fitting a thick crepe sole onto a loafer like that. just today I brought AE Kenwood loafers into B. Nelson for resoling and they convinced me the crepe sole would look off on a trad loafer like that. ended up going with an oiled flex sole. I'll do crepe on another shoe or boot which is meant to go with a double sole
post #114192 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

After a brief scare with UPS My Choice, they should have been at the store as directed, and where they said they were delivered, these beauties got unboxed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Have to excuse the chinos. Had to try them on. 



With their recent cigar brothers




Hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

post #114193 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Ha! Two things are working against me on them. First and foremost, they are unlined. It's really hard to get into them and not crease them even a little. Secondly, I actually bought these second hand off of eBay. Probably one of my best eBay pickups ever. They were pretty stinking rough when I first got them, and I got a great deal on them, like around $250-$300. I have been slowly nursing them back to health as they seemed to have been fairly neglected by their previous owner. Also, due to this and due to the fact that they have a Toppy on them, I tend to be pretty rough on them and wear them on days in which I am going to be doing a ton of walking. :-)

-Mike

I was just busting your chops a bit. The shine on the unlined whiskey loafers did seem a little lackluster compared to your norm. Knowing that they were second-hand pickups explains a lot. On the flip side, I wondered how on earth you acquired a pair of shoes that Brooks has not stocked in a long long time by my count.

I have found stripping with Renomat and/or using Bick 4 to rehydrate will do wonders for rough shell. But I'd be somewhat cautious with whiskey. Enjoy your kicks,
post #114194 of 122416
Hey guy. First post here.

Does anyone know of a preorder or a stockist for the Indy with commando sole and contrast stitching in kudu? I know leather soul stocks them sometimes and I have a email out to them but is there any other sources? Any info would be great. Thanks!
post #114195 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLeaman View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AoC Cigar LWB

Ben, looking great! Those are forming a lovely patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

I was just busting your chops a bit. The shine on the unlined whiskey loafers did seem a little lackluster compared to your norm. Knowing that they were second-hand pickups explains a lot. On the flip side, I wondered how on earth you acquired a pair of shoes that Brooks has not stocked in a long long time by my count.

I have found stripping with Renomat and/or using Bick 4 to rehydrate will do wonders for rough shell. But I'd be somewhat cautious with whiskey. Enjoy your kicks,

No worries, yeah, I figured you were busting me. But, that is their story. I agree, I did Reno them, but did a really light coat, but a like you, I try and be very careful with Whiskey as well, as it visually absorbs a lot more... :-)

-Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.