or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7591  

post #113851 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

I'm hoping those with experience with reverse tobacco chamois can offer some insights on a fit question. The situation is as follows: I am looking at a rtc model on barrie. The problem is that the retailer has only stocked it in E widths, whereas I normally take a D width. I have had varying degrees of success on interpolating fit by playing with widths. For example, when I bought whiskey shell lwb's, I dropped my D width size by one half and took the shorter but wider E model; the fit has been wonderful. However, when I bought a (non-roughout) tobacco chamois boot, I also subtracted a half size and moved from D to E; in this second case, however, it turns out I rarely wear the boot because the fit is a bit on the tight side, so other boots always end up jumping the line past the chammy boot.

This brings me to the question at hand: those who have reverse tobacco chamois shoes or boots, particularly on the Barrie - have you found that the fit is any tighter or looser as compared with a comparable size in different materials, such as shell cordovan, calf or alpine grain? I don't want a tight, barely-passable fit by going with the shorter length, wider width option. However, I don't want the shoe to fit loose by taking an extra width (normal shoe size, but in an E). Advice? The prospective purchase is an LWB. (My only reference is my Ep Ironside Indys on reverse earth chamois in my normal Trubalance size. In this case, there is a slight tightness, but I wasn't sure if that necessarily predicts a tightness for reverse tobacco). 

Curious especially about the experiences of those who are wearing the Leffot Greenwich rtc boots on Barrie.

My wife has not helped by maintaining her position that the need is served well enough by my natty cxl lwbs, and various Indys, and Leffot Tankers, and Vibergs and, well, you get the picture...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences you care to share!

My chamois experiences are as follows:

I do not change my sizing for chamois.

I have Barrie smooth chamois boots that fit a little tighter than any Barrie shoe or boot I own. They eventually broke in and fit great now.

I have a Barrie reverse chamois LWB that fits the same as any Barrie shoe I own including stretchy CXL.

I also have the EP Ironside boots. They fit about the same as my CXL and shell boots in the same last although I noticed I have to tighten the laces more on the vamp on the Ironside Indys.
post #113852 of 122416
tobacco chamois def fits tighter than calf or shell. i find trubalance on d width to be a little loose but same size with tc fits snug.
post #113853 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

I'm hoping those with experience with reverse tobacco chamois can offer some insights on a fit question. The situation is as follows: I am looking at a rtc model on barrie. The problem is that the retailer has only stocked it in E widths, whereas I normally take a D width. I have had varying degrees of success on interpolating fit by playing with widths. For example, when I bought whiskey shell lwb's, I dropped my D width size by one half and took the shorter but wider E model; the fit has been wonderful. However, when I bought a (non-roughout) tobacco chamois boot, I also subtracted a half size and moved from D to E; in this second case, however, it turns out I rarely wear the boot because the fit is a bit on the tight side, so other boots always end up jumping the line past the chammy boot.

This brings me to the question at hand: those who have reverse tobacco chamois shoes or boots, particularly on the Barrie - have you found that the fit is any tighter or looser as compared with a comparable size in different materials, such as shell cordovan, calf or alpine grain? I don't want a tight, barely-passable fit by going with the shorter length, wider width option. However, I don't want the shoe to fit loose by taking an extra width (normal shoe size, but in an E). Advice? The prospective purchase is an LWB. (My only reference is my Ep Ironside Indys on reverse earth chamois in my normal Trubalance size. In this case, there is a slight tightness, but I wasn't sure if that necessarily predicts a tightness for reverse tobacco). 

Curious especially about the experiences of those who are wearing the Leffot Greenwich rtc boots on Barrie.

My wife has not helped by maintaining her position that the need is served well enough by my natty cxl lwbs, and various Indys, and Leffot Tankers, and Vibergs and, well, you get the picture...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences you care to share!

I've got the Leffot Greenwich and employed the exact strategy you mention. I went from my normal 9D in Barrie boot to an 8.5E primarily because I planned on wearing a thicker sock. Fits like a glove.
post #113854 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by J One View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post



11D had one of these with no picture.



http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_5_eyelet_plain_toe_boot_barrie_last_navy_suede/p-mxsb-d4812h_ald_m_5_eyelet_plain_toe_boot_barrie_last.html



I can't quite figure it out though. Plain toe navy suede, with a 270 degree split welt? Just seems odd.



There was a snuff lwb but the picture looked like it had a nice stain on the vamp. Wish I had gotten some shell 2 weeks ago and saved $50. Still lament not getting the black shell Indy in March.



Believe me you were not the only one going for the black shell Indy's on March, I feel your pain.



The $50 increase is tough to swallow, specially when the were at the lower price 2 weeks ago, but they are still priced lower than the AE seconds....


 



Yea. Its just in my mind. $325 was closer to $300, and $375 is closer to $400. The 300-325 is more in my impulse buy range.

Yea, those Indys. Fellow 11D? I got the #8 LWB and BB LHS. So I was already running up a tab.
post #113855 of 122416

Not sure if these have been mentioned but a natty CXL dover is up on J Crew's site. It's listed as a full price presale and as usual their photos are utter shat but sounds like it could be a good shoe.

 

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~E1778/E1778.jsp

post #113856 of 122416
hi does anyone know who might be offering a six eyelet chukka non shell in barrie or trubalance last. looking for a boot/shoe.
post #113857 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

These are my favorite Aldens: Whiskey and mahogany saddle Norwegians. Alden AF1 (The first "fan" shoe from Alden of Carmel.)

7591029612_2fb282e1b0_b.jpg
7591026750_f776ac0a20_b.jpg
wowzah great pic kai
post #113858 of 122416
Did a TSM seconds email go out?
post #113859 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JjasonL View Post

Did a TSM seconds email go out?

Yes, a few hours ago.
post #113860 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

Yes, a few hours ago.
Thanks!! Didn't even get the blast.

Anyone with a 7.5 and 8 list?
post #113861 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JjasonL View Post


Thanks!! Didn't even get the blast.

Anyone with a 7.5 and 8 list?

PM your email address ...

post #113862 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonggoy View Post

PM your email address ...
I just called and got the email. Thank you though!!!
post #113863 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post


My chamois experiences are as follows:

I do not change my sizing for chamois.

I have Barrie smooth chamois boots that fit a little tighter than any Barrie shoe or boot I own. They eventually broke in and fit great now.

I have a Barrie reverse chamois LWB that fits the same as any Barrie shoe I own including stretchy CXL.

I also have the EP Ironside boots. They fit about the same as my CXL and shell boots in the same last although I noticed I have to tighten the laces more on the vamp on the Ironside Indys.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

tobacco chamois def fits tighter than calf or shell. i find trubalance on d width to be a little loose but same size with tc fits snug.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post


I've got the Leffot Greenwich and employed the exact strategy you mention. I went from my normal 9D in Barrie boot to an 8.5E primarily because I planned on wearing a thicker sock. Fits like a glove.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful responses. I'm thinking I don't want to be spending energy thinking about which socks work with this particular model, so erring on the larger side of things to account for tobacco chammois-related tight fitment might be a way to go.

 

On the other hand, if any of you gents are game for a reverse tobacco longwing, maybe we could get some traction for an MTO-type of thing so that I could dial the size in with more precision. In my imagination, we'd be looking at brass agatines and antique edging for starters. Double leather or commando would be fine with me. What say you folks?

post #113864 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezinho View Post

could someone please help me to identity the last on this boot?

http://www.upper-shoes.com/fr/homme/alden/5376-41682h.html#/coloris-burgundy/taille-6

thanks

Modified last. I was interested in this pair and contacted them for details
post #113865 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post





Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful responses. I'm thinking I don't want to be spending energy thinking about which socks work with this particular model, so erring on the larger side of things to account for tobacco chammois-related tight fitment might be a way to go.

On the other hand, if any of you gents are game for a reverse tobacco longwing, maybe we could get some traction for an MTO-type of thing so that I could dial the size in with more precision. In my imagination, we'd be looking at brass agatines and antique edging for starters. Double leather or commando would be fine with me. What say you folks?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Where you thinking tobacco, earth, or navy reverse chamois? The Epaulet alt Wien bluchers were made with earth chamois, so perhaps tobacco or navy would be interesting for this? I agree with commando sole and antique edging, though brass eyelets might make this too casual. Perhaps color matched exposed metal eyelets?

-D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.