or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7520  

post #112786 of 122416

it just came that way from Alden. one of the welts wasn't properly painted through. 

post #112787 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

Gentlemen,

@Joenobody0
Bespoke/Custom Lasts are, by far, the most ideal.  That is where I would like to eventually end up myself.  If my vocation ever takes me to Italy or Hungary I will do so.

@TtownMD
That golden Vass fit is what I am hoping to do in the VERY near future.  I think I may have struck gold with my recent EB MTO through Skoak.  But Vass is at the very top of my list...like, if they were able to provide me with what I wanted...I would order today...

However, Alden are currently providing me with a very good fit and the aesthetic is good IMO.
Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to
Ask you since you are shell king lol
post #112788 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to
Ask you since you are shell king lol

Thank you my friend.

There are several ways to approach this.

1. Alden Defender
2. Using paste wax as a barrier to the elements

Either way is good. I think that the Alden product is a little better for that kind of thing.

You must find what works best for you.

I am no expert by the way, there are many gentlemen on this forum that have been in the game longer and know much more than myself.

Thanks.
post #112789 of 122416

A heads up: there's a pair of Alden x J.Crew shell captoe boots in size 9 on Grailed for $400. Not my listing, but a pretty solid deal for anyone interested. 

post #112790 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

Gentlemen,

@Joenobody0
Bespoke/Custom Lasts are, by far, the most ideal.  That is where I would like to eventually end up myself.  If my vocation ever takes me to Italy or Hungary I will do so.

@TtownMD
That golden Vass fit is what I am hoping to do in the VERY near future.  I think I may have struck gold with my recent EB MTO through Skoak.  But Vass is at the very top of my list...like, if they were able to provide me with what I wanted...I would order today...

However, Alden are currently providing me with a very good fit and the aesthetic is good IMO.
Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to
Ask you since you are shell king lol

Just wear them. Learn the art of DGAF. If you get welts, bone them.

-signed, Seattle guy who wears shell in the rain and doesn't do anything special to them
post #112791 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Is this an easy fix? The welts are different colors.


A couple of applications of AE chili edge dressing on the lighter shoe should take care of the issue.
post #112792 of 122416

:worship:

post #112793 of 122416
I'd send them back to Alden and let them finish them properly. Deplorable QC that they left the factory like that
post #112794 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to
Ask you since you are shell king lol

As watchman indicates, you've got a few options. Alden leather defender works best for me. Nice price and maintains the shine. Nothing wrong with trying to keep them free of wet marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Is this an easy fix? The welts are different colors.



Getting the light welt to match the dark welt is probably an easy fix, but going the other way is beyond anything I would be comfortable with. The shell looks great. I'd send them back to Alden and let them take care of it.
post #112795 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

As watchman indicates, you've got a few options. Alden leather defender works best for me. Nice price and maintains the shine. Nothing wrong with trying to keep them free of wet marks.
Getting the light welt to match the dark welt is probably an easy fix, but going the other way is beyond anything I would be comfortable with. The shell looks great. I'd send them back to Alden and let them take care of it.
Good to know so you spray on the shoe then wipe them brush & you good to go. So it protect the shoe from rain then ha? Good to know.
post #112796 of 122416

Happy 4th of July. Interesting Vass discussion here today.

 

Alden x Tassels Navy Chamois Indy Boot. RRL Selvedge Denim with a red and white selvedge ID, thus making it Red, White, and Blue. :-)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

-Mike

post #112797 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

Gentlemen,

This issue of elegance and style here on the Fora seems to surface with regularity.  Typically, you have 2 camps on 2 opposite sides of the spectrum.  One side says that the sleek Euro lasts, with their symmetrical and clean lines are more aesthetically pleasing.  And, they say this well, for very often this camp is correct.  Then, diametrically opposed to them is the camp who says that their clunky and chunky, hearty Americano lasts are utilitarian and rugged and good for them.  These chaps herald proper fitting shoes and boots as their motto.  And, they rejoice in their position and rightly so.

If patina trumps pristine, then fit is paramount.

We must keep in mind the relative quality of elegance.

The definition of elegance is as follows:

"The quality of being graceful and stylish in appearance or manner; style..."

My assertion is this:  What is elegant for one gentleman may not necessarily be elegant for another.  Genuine Elegance is determined by some key principles.  And, I think you men will agree.

1.  Fit.  An ill fitting shoe or boot is the epitome of inelegance.  Nothing screams taboo more than a man in an ill fitting set of footwear.  If a man is wearing the right fitting shoes, then he is FREE to be as gentlemanly as his inherent nature allows him to be.  Put him in a bad fitting pair and not only is he self conscious about the fit, but he is not free to be himself.

2.  Proportion.  If certain patterns for shirts and suits help a man to enter into genuine elegance; then what makes us think footwear is not the same?  It is the same in my mind.  Men should wear shoes and boots that help them to maintain a certain level of aesthetic appeal.  A short and chubby man should probably steer away from long pointy lasted shoes.  Etc.

I think that we here make a tragic mistake when hue out a certain sartorial dogma and then essentially demand that everyone line up with our concepts.

Beware of sartorial legalism...

The best thing to do is meet men where they are...and then help them mature into what they ought to be...sartorially speaking...

Thanks.

Bravo Watchman. Well said.
post #112798 of 122416

happy 4th of july folks

2 holiday projects

sanded and oiled the yard table

gave a few aldens some much needed tlc

 

post #112799 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Is this an easy fix? The welts are different colors.

i would send them back to alden, have them fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Happy 4th of July. Interesting Vass discussion here today.

Alden x Tassels Navy Chamois Indy Boot. RRL Selvedge Denim with a red and white selvedge ID, thus making it Red, White, and Blue. :-)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

-Mike

sweet suede boots dubs. nice jeans as well.

post #112800 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Good to know so you spray on the shoe then wipe them brush & you good to go. So it protect the shoe from rain then ha? Good to know.

Just a minor point of clarification. Spray it on a cloth and wipe it on the shoe. You'll be good to go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.