or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7514  

post #112696 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Ravello PTB. Leydon last from LS.
Anniversary ravello!?!?
So nice sir. Sign me up for a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Speaking of dark color 8 and eBay transactions, I picked these up in another flawless transaction (as most of mine are).
This is one of the 3 style that Alden of Madison carries that I really like, and surprisingly have never seen posted on SF. They also have an NST/loafer on Aberdeen and a Fullstrap loafer on Grant. I've been thinking about the monk strap for a while but didn't know how I would feel about the brass on shoes after having them for a while. When I saw them on the bay at a great price I almost couldn't believe it. Fortunately they were buy-it-now with an offer option so I didn't have to get in a bidding war. There is virtually no wear on the soles and other than some wrinkling, these shoes are immaculate. Very pleased.
I've been looking for a pair of these at a good price. Glad you found some.
What do you wear them with? Combo picture please.
post #112697 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by breck81 View Post

Alden of DC is the best. Once again timing and a little luck prevail in the Alden rare shell game. Great pick up!

Great pick up and I also like how you've paired them. I would have never thought to pair charcoal and brown but yours looks really slick.
post #112698 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

Isn't the Alden of Madison split toe loafer on the Grant last? As far as I know, only AoC has made a split toe loafer on the Aberdeen last, and that was long ago. By the way, those wingtip monk straps are fantastic

I'm pretty sure it's Aberdeen. I've been stalking them for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I've been looking for a pair of these at a good price. Glad you found some.
What do you wear them with? Combo picture please.

I'll pair these similar to how I do any color 8 blucher. Mostly navy and khaki slacks with cuffs. I will be sure to post a pic when I take them for a spin. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Madison did a good job on those. Only thing I would do is change the buckle to silver myself. But any cobbler can do that.
-Mike

That's a pretty good idea and I would have never thought of it. Definitely would attract less attention to the buckle. It's a strange dilemma for me as I love the monk strap style but not necessarily the attention that the buckle brings. Silver would be much better than brass in that regard. Thanks for the input.
post #112699 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

You are right & yea I am returning them.

I would not pay full price for a stock model in this condition either, but if it were me, I would call jcrew again and try to make my case with another SA. Of all the Alden retailers I've dealt with, none have been better or more accommodating the JC. Offer to send a pic and ask for 20%. This worked for me and I really didn't have to try very hard.
post #112700 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

I think the flaws are fairly typical for Alden.

Other retailers (Alden shops) would smooth the creasing out with heat from a hair dryer, then sell them. You can do this yourself at home; it works like a charm on shell, as will rubbing with a cloth and/or deer bone. The blucher will crease sooner or later with wear.

Consider trying to smooth them out before returning them. Virtually every pair of Alden's has something small over which to nitpick. The most important thing is to get your sizing right and to get a pair with pristine shell and finishing. Soles get replaced, facings can be restitched, but crappy shell cannot be refinished easily.


Wow, I wasn't aware that you could smooth out cordovan creases like this. I'm really not a big fan of the cordovan crease thing. Does anybody here tend to use the hair dryer as part of their regular maintenance on their shoes or boots to keep them looking nice just as one would do with polish and such? 

post #112701 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Wow, I wasn't aware that you could smooth out cordovan creases like this. I'm really not a big fan of the cordovan crease thing. Does anybody here tend to use the hair dryer as part of their regular maintenance on their shoes or boots to keep them looking nice just as one would do with polish and such? 
Dddress I actually tried it and it worked icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #112702 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

I would not pay full price for a stock model in this condition either, but if it were me, I would call jcrew again and try to make my case with another SA. Of all the Alden retailers I've dealt with, none have been better or more accommodating the JC. Offer to send a pic and ask for 20%. This worked for me and I really didn't have to try very hard.
Hey bud thank you for your input I ended up keeping the shoe. But you were absolutely right they gave me 20% off. So I am not complaining. Thank you once again for your help.
post #112703 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Dddress I actually tried it and it worked icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Oh, if @smoothie1 said it would I really didn't doubt that it would. In fact it makes some sense to me in regards to why it would. I just wondered if anyone made this a part of their maintenance with their shell boots or shoes.

Sorry to hear about your boots. However since the hait dryer thing worked seems as more minor annoyances now in the long run however. Glad to hear it worked for you.
post #112704 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Oh, if @smoothie1 said it would I really didn't doubt that it would. In fact it makes some sense to me in regards to why it would. I just wondered if anyone made this a part of their maintenance with their shell boots or shoes.

Sorry to hear about your boots. However since the hait dryer thing worked seems as more minor annoyances now in the long run however. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Thank you man but I am done with them lol no more just sticking with EG, EB, Carmina etc
post #112705 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Thank you man but I am done with them lol no more just sticking with EG, EB, Carmina etc

Understand, I've never experienced any issues with Alden personally however I have heard there are or can be quality issues fairly often. This however in my option is more of a J Crew thing at least with the creases. One could argue however that other retailers can be extremely difficult to work with because they won't allow or rarely let you return cordovan shoes or boots for this very reason. However quality issues has and will turn me away from a product even if they are willing to address them. I expect people to be human, I just don't expect to have to deal with them time and time again.

Anyway my choice not to purchase Alden isn't because I have yet to experience any issues it has more to do with aesthetics. They build a fine shoe or boot it's just that I like a sleeker. Last and other things that a more expensive shoe or boot will give you.

I should say I have 4 pairs of Alden's both shoes and boots and I'm rather happy with them, I just find that I when considering future purchases I find other items more appealing to me.
Edited by dddrees - 7/3/15 at 6:40am
post #112706 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

On some level, I understand why people get worked up when they buy shell Aldens with try-on creases. They are damn expensive shoes now, and you want 'em to be perfect. On the other hand, they are shoes and will be creased as soon as you wear them anyway.

I think my strategy, if it happened to me (and it never has-- 40 pairs into it), would be to ask for a break on the price. But if the store said no, I would just keep them.
Creases are idiosyncratic to your foot. If you buy a pair already creased to someone else's foot, it can result in a mess.
post #112707 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeka View Post

Congrats! I got mine the same batch too 😄
0E4D1B7C-0A27-45B4-9494-89EB2DF7DFA3_zpslxvff5zb.jpg

646CB218-87B8-49A8-B29C-667D4665E549_zpssdcwbbw7.jpg

Very nice. Wouldn't you agree the true color is much richer than the camera is revealing?
post #112708 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinopcollector View Post

Very nice. Wouldn't you agree the true color is much richer than the camera is revealing?
Yup..especially under the sunlight.
post #112709 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Hey bud thank you for your input I ended up keeping the shoe. But you were absolutely right they gave me 20% off. So I am not complaining. Thank you once again for your help.

JC is as good as it gets. Glad it worked out for you.
post #112710 of 122416
Start the long weekend off with some Ravello. Happy July 4th to you all! Doesn't get much more American than Alden:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.