Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7452post #111766 of 1224166/13/15 at 8:53amI think someone has the right to sell something they obviously have not worn if the market happens to reward the seller so be it. To me that's different than say buying something from someone (sf member) with the sole intention of flipping it.post #111767 of 1224166/13/15 at 8:54ampost #111768 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:00amFirst Aldens in years... decided to finally take them out of the box and inspect them (moving) and the tongue is a bit off kilter on each shoe.
I'm not sure why I actually expected them to be 100%. (They were a shell pre-order FWIW).post #111769 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:01amQuote:
Its interesting to debate this.
My two cents is this:
I see both of these scenarios as ok.
Said person buys them and wear them, then sell them after a while because they are no longer getting use.
Said person buys them with the intention of wearing them but they sit in the box for two years at which point they sell them.
Both of these points the buyer has the intention of using them for themselves.
I see this as incorrect.
Said person buys rare shell or other from a vendor, sometimes in multipe sizes with the direct intention of listing them for a profit.post #111770 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:04amI don't blame the seller, I blame the people who are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for "rare" shoes which are ready-made in leathers that can be obtained more cheaply from better makers. The sellers are just taking advantage of irrational buyers.post #111771 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:09amMy apologies to those who were watching the auction prior to my post. I didn't think about the repercussions and I also hope one of our valued posters didn't get outbid by a "New Jack".
On the other hand however, I view this as place to discuss the crazy world of Alden's and to me, that includes the "second hand" market demand.post #111772 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:11ampost #111773 of 1224166/13/15 at 9:58ampost #111774 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Alden of Carmel
Since the third word of the Official Alden Thread is "AF43", here is a brief history of style AF43.
The idea for AF43 came from this magazine clipping which we have kept since 2000 or before:
The boot on the left was the inspiration for AF43, a black shell cordovan high boot, Trubalance last, with the commando sole.
Here is a picture of AF43 taken in August of 2001:
The commando sole is currently in its third iteration, and the commando sole used for the AF43 shown is the second version. You can read more about the commando sole at Alden of San Diego: http://aldenofsandiego.com/going-commando-the-history-of-aldens-commando-sole/
AF43 is Alden of Carmel's longest-running high boot (2001-2015), and possibly the longest running, continuously made (make-up, non-catalog style) high boot made by Alden. Here it is today with the third version of the commando sole:
^^^This is exactly the kind of thing we need in this thread. On SF in general. Excellent information Sir. Priceless really.post #111775 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:11ampost #111776 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:15ampost #111777 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:17am^^^Thanks for the pics Sir.
The progression, or digression of the Cigar shade may not entirely be Aldens fault.
I have in my possession several cordovan swatches from other shoemakers around the world.
Both using Horween. And both swatches have Cigar. And the darkest shade on both of these swatches besides black is indeed Cigar.
What I am saying is that this Neo-Cigar shade is due to Horween and not Alden.
Thanks.post #111778 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:21ampost #111779 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:33ampost #111780 of 1224166/13/15 at 10:35am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › New to nice suits: athletic build fit and fabric advice please! 14 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 27 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 43 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 44 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 45 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 51 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 55 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...