or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7428  

post #111406 of 122416

For occasional treating of shell Cordovan what's better- Saphir Renovateur or Saphir neutral Cordovan cream? I'm asking because I heard that the Cordovan cream is specifically formulated for shell Cordovan without turpentine, whereas Renovateur is sort of an all-purpose leather conditioner and not specifcally formulated for shell cordovan.

post #111407 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8D7CE21E-480C-431C-BCF2-9550B45F7BB6.jpg
AoC Cigar LWB

That's a nice batch of cigar.
post #111408 of 122416
Maiden voyage of my 975s. Really loving these!


post #111409 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

 

Thank you for your response Sir.

 

How is the fit in your estimation?

 

Thanks.

 

You're welcome.  As far as fit, I think @JSO1 did a great job of summarizing the fit of the 379X last compared to Barrie. It's one of my best fitting lasts across all brands.  Although technically it doesn't really fit like a workboot (the Barrie fits more like a workboot than the 379X), it does look a little blobby.  More so than the Barrie, I think.  At least my pair (the only one I own in the 379X) does.

post #111410 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post


Not at all like the Grant last. Grant runs TTS, 379X runs a little bit large. Some people say 379X is TTS but I disagree. Grant is also much more tapered/chiseled than 379X, which is extremely rounded.

Again though, I would very very surprised if these whiskey wingtip boots are on 379X. 379X is an anatomic, military last that I've only ever seen on Japanese market Aldens.
Here's where I think 379X and Barrie differ in the same size (8D in both):
  • Toebox: Barrie tapers more, 379X is more rounded, giving you more room laterally, but is not as tall as the Barrie toebox
  • Ball of foot / instep: 379X has a higher cone/instep, giving you more room in the instep
  • Waist: 379X is dramatically narrower in the waist, making it very snug through the middle (bad for flat feet, great for high arches)
  • Heel: 379X is much narrower in the heel, making it more snug on the heel

To be perfectly honest, I think 379X is the most comfortable last I've ever tried. It's sublime. It's also a bit blobby. Some people think it's too small to go 1/2 down in 379X, but for me it works. For reference, my 8D Barrie has a little bit of heel slip but is comfortable everywhere else. I also take 8.5D in the Alden Plaza, 8.5D in the AE 5 last, 7.5 UK in Carmina Rain and Inca, 8 UK in Carmina Simpson, and 8.5D generally on the TTS/Brannock lasts (most of AE).

Here are some photos comparing 379X to Barrie. The massive heel size difference is due to two things: (1) the 379X boots are 270 degree welted while the Barrie boots are 360 degree welted, and (2) 379X is narrower in the heel than Barrie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

I absolutely love the fit of my 379X boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post


No problem.

I suspect that even if the 14oz Whiskey boot is indeed on 379X rather than Barrie, based on what you've just said about the heel, that the 379X will fit you just fine as long as you don't have really flat feet.

Again, I doubt it's on 379X though. Based on the single photo that 14oz posted on Instagram, it does look like Barrie (the toe shape seems to be a little bit less round than 379X would be). Keep us posted once they arrive! And congrats smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Yes, I took the same size in the 379X as Barrie.

Looks like Frans Boone has a snuff suede plain toe boot on the 379X

http://www.fransboonestore.com/collections/alden/products/alden-snuff-suede-round-toe-boots-on-crepe
post #111411 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by breck81 View Post

Looks like Frans Boone has a snuff suede plain toe boot on the 379X

http://www.fransboonestore.com/collections/alden/products/alden-snuff-suede-round-toe-boots-on-crepe


Very interesting. That's the first non-Japanese market 379X boot/shoe I've seen.

 

I guess there is a chance that 14oz's whiskey WT boots are 379X... we'll have to wait and see once someone gets a pair and posts pictures on SF.

post #111412 of 122416

I am a 10EE TTS.

 

One of the only shoes/boots I can wear in a 10E anymore is a Barrie.

 

10E Grant is tight...really need a 10EE

 

My Aberdeen boots are 10EE and fit like a glove.

 

AE 65 last in 10EE are a bit tight but fit well.

 

Should I have them send me 10.5E or 10E???

 

Help Guys...

post #111413 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post


Very interesting. That's the first non-Japanese market 379X boot/shoe I've seen.

I guess there is a chance that 14oz's whiskey WT boots are 379X... we'll have to wait and see once someone gets a pair and posts pictures on SF.

End Clothing did one too: http://www.endclothing.com/alden-blucher-boot.html. I had a pair briefly. Like the points made above, I did not find the fit to be particularly Barrie-like.
post #111414 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by breck81 View Post




Looks like Frans Boone has a snuff suede plain toe boot on the 379X

http://www.fransboonestore.com/collections/alden/products/alden-snuff-suede-round-toe-boots-on-crepe

Weren't those PT Brooks Brothers suede boots also on the 379X? I know there was some debate as to whether it was 379X (like a BB associate had said) or Trubalance...

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Suede-Boots/MH00451,default,pd.html?cmp=AFC_CJ_ShopStyle.com_Brooks+Brothers+Product+Catalog&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=2178999&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.2178999
post #111415 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

I am a 10EE TTS.

 

One of the only shoes/boots I can wear in a 10E anymore is a Barrie.

 

10E Grant is tight...really need a 10EE

 

My Aberdeen boots are 10EE and fit like a glove.

 

AE 65 last in 10EE are a bit tight but fit well.

 

Should I have them send me 10.5E or 10E???

 

Help Guys...

 

Hm. That is a bit of a dilemma. Did you confirm that these boots are 379X?

 

You mentioned earlier that you have heel slip in Barrie in 10E, so it sounds to me like you do not need the extra width in the heel. Thus, I think 10E 379X will be good for you in the heel.

 

You also mentioned you need width at the widest part of your foot. Fortunately, the 379X does flare out quite quickly from the waist into the ball of the foot. As you can see from my photos, the 379X is just as wide as Barrie throughout the forefoot.

 

The only way I would say that you will have trouble with the 379X in 10E is if you have very flat feet.

 

I, personally, would go with 379X in 10E.

 

If you are really concerned and don't want to chance it, get 10.5E and resign yourself to the possibility of wearing boot socks.

 

EDIT - also, since you are 10EE TTS that would mean that 10.5E in the 379X would be WAY too long for you.

post #111416 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handcuffed View Post


Weren't those PT Brooks Brothers suede boots also on the 379X? I know there was some debate as to whether it was 379X (like a BB associate had said) or Trubalance...

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Suede-Boots/MH00451,default,pd.html?cmp=AFC_CJ_ShopStyle.com_Brooks+Brothers+Product+Catalog&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=2178999&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.2178999


These are not 379X. Look at the sole profile at the waist. It's WAY too wide relative to the forefoot area. Definitely a Trubalance sole profile.

 

I would like to see someone with both a Modified last boot and a 379X boot compare them (in the same size), because so far as I can tell the Modified and 379X are very very similar.

post #111417 of 122416

@JSO1

 

@BootSpell

 

Can you confirm that the 379x will be bigger than Grant in the same size?

 

I hate to be redundant...but this is a big purchase...

 

I thought I had this in the bag with it looking so much like Barrie...:brick:

post #111418 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post



Again though, I would very very surprised if these whiskey wingtip boots are on 379X. 379X is an anatomic, military last that I've only ever seen on Japanese market Aldens.
Here's where I think 379X and Barrie differ in the same size (8D in both):
  • Toebox: Barrie tapers more, 379X is more rounded, giving you more room laterally, but is not as tall as the Barrie toebox
  • Ball of foot / instep: 379X has a higher cone/instep, giving you more room in the instep
  • Waist: 379X is dramatically narrower in the waist, making it very snug through the middle (bad for flat feet, great for high arches)
  • Heel: 379X is much narrower in the heel, making it more snug on the heel

To be perfectly honest, I think 379X is the most comfortable last I've ever tried. It's sublime. It's also a bit blobby. Some people think it's too small to go 1/2 down in 379X, but for me it works. For reference, my 8D Barrie has a little bit of heel slip but is comfortable everywhere else. I also take 8.5D in the Alden Plaza, 8.5D in the AE 5 last, 7.5 UK in Carmina Rain and Inca, 8 UK in Carmina Simpson, and 8.5D generally on the TTS/Brannock lasts (most of AE).

Great info - thanks very much.teacha.gif
post #111419 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

@JSO1


@BootSpell


Can you confirm that the 379x will be bigger than Grant in the same size?

I hate to be redundant...but this is a big purchase...

I thought I had this in the bag with it looking so much like Barrie...baldy%5B1%5D.gif

If it is on the 379X last, then you should be fine with a 10E. If it's on Barrie, you're also okay. The 379X is definitely roomier than the Grant last. In fact, it has a rounder toe than even the Barrie.
post #111420 of 122416
^^^Thanks again gentlemen.

This really is one of the best threads on SF.

If they don't fit...then I just proxied a pair of rare shells for one of my comrades here...

It's all gravy in the navy...

I am at peace.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.