You'd think BB would include the last in the description - or at least say to size down 1/2 or TTS.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7369post #110521 of 1224165/22/15 at 4:18pmpost #110522 of 1224165/22/15 at 4:20pmpost #110523 of 1224165/22/15 at 4:49pmpost #110524 of 1224165/22/15 at 5:00pmpost #110525 of 1224165/22/15 at 5:03pm
Swapped out the absurdly long laces that came with my black plain-toe 379X boots (TSM seconds), which were nearly 60" long. It's a 9-eyelet boot, but come on. They were also flat fabric laces, which felt and looked cheap.
Picked up a set of 48" AE rounded laces instead, and I think it really helped. Boots look a little classier and the laces aren't absurdly long anymore.
After:post #110526 of 1224165/22/15 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Louispph
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
was buying Navy Indy but out of my size.
picked up Navy unlined chukka in Tassels.
Welcome to the thread! Great Chukkas! Hope you had a good trip to Tassels.Quote:
Joe, you are correct in that B's are not typically stocked at retailers. The factory stores will probably do an add to run for you in a heartbeat in any size assuming the last in that size exists. I do not see why a factory store would not take a return, in fact my pair of 975s were made for a different customer in 10.5B and they didn't take them and thus Kathy had them just sitting in stock waiting for me to pick them up. With that said, don't just order a size without an intent to at least give it a good whirl. Also I have found that the factory stores have even defunct sizes on hand on most lasts even if not even available. For example I have tried on 11A Barrie, and that last does not exist any longer.Quote:Originally Posted by BenLeaman
Here is the chain my comments were following...
It is in regards to the Leffot LWB
Clarification for @mdubs so he can sleep easier tonight
Thanks Ben.Quote:Originally Posted by Watchman1
I hate to say this but AE is really good at having weird sizes available, and having an incredible return policy as well.
The downside is that they ARE NOT Alden...
I am sure could offer some assistance.
Assistance above.Quote:Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Thanks for the suggestion, but AE's size availability is no better in my size and they charge a special makeup fee that Alden does not. There's no returns, as usual, and the probably of getting a pair with a defect is way too high. My single experience with AE shell was enough to make me swear off them for good - even though I find their LWB to be more attractive in some ways. I may just get an F-last Vass LWB in one of their shell colors
See above.Quote:Originally Posted by Watchman1
You know; it is all relative isn't it?
The other day I was reading one of @mdubs
posts in the Alden MTO thread here on SF.
He made the statement that Alden uses thicker welts on their balmoral dress shoes because it is more elegant.
Then, a SF moderator made the comment that big thick welts are inelegant...
But, for you @Joenobody0
the JL were actually over-elegant, which is inelegance...
For me, Euro lasts that are sleek, but do not fit properly are inelegant...
What is inelegance to others actually is very much for us...
We conclude that, Alden's therefore, are elegant indeed.
The formality of the Welt Width is in the eye of the beholder. I have never seen formal rules associated with this topic. As long as they are within reason.Quote:
Ha, thanks Jason. Yeah, these were a well used pair of Whiskey when I bought. They have come a long way since first purchased.
-Mikepost #110527 of 1224165/22/15 at 7:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by mdubs
Joe, you are correct in that B's are not typically stocked at retailers. The factory stores will probably do an add to run for you in a heartbeat in any size assuming the last in that size exists. I do not see why a factory store would not take a return, in fact my pair of 975s were made for a different customer in 10.5B and they didn't take them and thus Kathy had them just sitting in stock waiting for me to pick them up. With that said, don't just order a size without an intent to at least give it a good whirl. Also I have found that the factory stores have even defunct sizes on hand on most lasts even if not even available. For example I have tried on 11A Barrie, and that last does not exist any longer.
I will call DC and Madison, but here's what the SF store said this morning:
"Yes, A, B and C can be made.
Production will take about 20 weeks, payment in advance will be required, and no cancellations or returns.
When you are ready to order, please let us know and we will process for you."
After many in-store purchases at the SF location, I'd be pretty disappointed to find out that their return policy was more draconian than the other stores. They will certainly not see any more business from me, if that's the case.post #110528 of 1224165/22/15 at 7:41pmpost #110529 of 1224165/22/15 at 7:51pmQuote:
It could also be that your size is on the list of sizes that can be regularly ordered. The old Alden catalogs said exactly what sizes were available.post #110530 of 1224165/22/15 at 8:14pmQuote:
joe - alden sf shows the ptb in stock in B widths on their website. might be worth ordering one of those just to check the sizepost #110531 of 1224165/22/15 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by kurckrec
Does anyone know if these boots from The Shoe Mart
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_5_eyelet_plain_toe_boot_barrie_last_snuff_suede/pvc-ald-mxs-d5805h_ald_m_5_eyelet_plain_toe_boot_barrie_last.html
are the same as these from Brooks Brothers?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm in the market for a snuff suede plain toe boot and ordered the Brooks Brother boots a few weeks ago but returned them because the color was too dark compared to the pictures and just didn't love the toe shape, too bulbous compared to some of my other Alden boots. Now looking at these from The Shoe Mart but based off the pictures they seem similar to Brooks Brothers boots so trying to get some info on the ones from Shoe Mart if anyone has seen them or handled them. Also, any other retailers have a snuff suede plain toe in stock?
I emailed Alden last week and they said the BB boot is on Trubalance.post #110532 of 1224165/22/15 at 9:32pmQuote:
Have you tried e-mailing Alden directly and asking if they have a trial shoe or something in the last+width you're looking for so you're not having to purchase a $700 pair without trying anythng similar first?post #110533 of 1224165/22/15 at 9:34pmpost #110534 of 1224165/22/15 at 11:30pmpost #110535 of 1224165/22/15 at 11:51pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 43 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE for January 27, 2017: Laurence Fellows Recreation 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Junkard Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet NY Floral Striped Jacquard Button Down (M) 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...