or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7286  

post #109276 of 122416
Looks good Zippy. Surprised the Blue Suede Indy isn't done more regularly. Looks good with white or tan stitching around the Apron.
post #109277 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

DV, looking great!

-Mike

thank you sir.

post #109278 of 122416
Good evening,
Since lot the folks on this forum have several pairs of Alden thru the years between the shell color 8 and cigar which one is the more versatile and which one ages better given that both shoes are made with antique edge.

If you have any side by side pictures even better. ..
Edited by J One - 5/4/15 at 6:10pm
post #109279 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by J One View Post

Good evening,
Since lot the folks on this forum have several pairs of Alden thru the years between the shell color 8 and cigar which one is the more versatile and which one ages better given that both shoes are made with antique edge.
Personally like the cigar. The olive hues that start appearing in sunlight make it stand out.

Regarding hooks vs all eyelets: having all eyelets is a pain while taking off or putting your boots on. But it looks good. Not worth the hassle imo.
post #109280 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by J One View Post

Good evening,
Since lot the folks on this forum have several pairs of Alden thru the years between the shell color 8 and cigar which one is the more versatile and which one ages better given that both shoes are made with antique edge.

If you have any side by side pictures even better. ..

Color 8 is the most versatile IMO. Cigar ages nicely though. You definitely need both smile.gif
post #109281 of 122416

 

post #109282 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


Well done! Good to have some science behind the talking!
post #109283 of 122416
nice job. there's the definitive proof.
post #109284 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by circleslife View Post

Personally like the cigar. The olive hues that start appearing in sunlight make it stand out.

Regarding hooks vs all eyelets: having all eyelets is a pain while taking off or putting your boots on. But it looks good. Not worth the hassle imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoetree View Post

Color 8 is the most versatile IMO. Cigar ages nicely though. You definitely need both smile.gif

Frankly, all shell patinas nicely and will have a nice depth of color. Whether someone prefers a particular shade new or patinad will depend on the individual as well as how the particular shoe patinas. I think you will find that Color 8 will get a slight edge over Cigar in popularity, especially patinad. There is a reason Color 8 and Cordovan are used interchangeably to describe the burgundy color.

I am sure there are a number of awesome examples of patina here. I can post my Perf Tip Balmorals when I get back home as they have formed a nice color.

-Mike
post #109285 of 122416
So my only shoe right now is the 975 Color 8 longwings, which will primarily be worn on nice days....because leather soles.

However, I need a boot/shoe for the cold, wet, frozen weather of Sapporo; I'm looking at the AF117 Brown CXL wingtip boot from Alden of Carmel, or the classic AF53 color 8 PTB. Or even Color 8 Chukkas on the commando sole. Any opinions/suggestions on which I should choose?
Edited by AnOxymoron - 5/4/15 at 11:12pm
post #109286 of 122416

Randy the cobbler is putting all bras eyelets in both tankers and my cigar captoes. No more speed hooks. I definitely think it's faster with out hooks
post #109287 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post


 


Sorry, this is by no means a fair comparison. There is a much faster way to do speed hooks, that's the slow granny way. Also, the person in the video did not take the additional time to lace the top tier of eyelets.

Real world, assuming you use all the eyelets, speed hooks should be faster than that, and 9 eyelets should be slower than that.
post #109288 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Depends on the boot for me. My shell 4060 come off with just the top eyelet undone and the rest of the laces loosened. My rev. chamois boots need at least 4 eyelets undone. I think the extra friction of the reverse chamois on the laces don't allow the laces to loosen as easily as on my shell boots. At least that's my thinking.

I have observed the same thing with my reverse chamois 9 eye boots. Takes forever.
post #109289 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post


Sorry, this is by no means a fair comparison. There is a much faster way to do speed hooks, that's the slow granny way. Also, the person in the video did not take the additional time to lace the top tier of eyelets.

Real world, assuming you use all the eyelets, speed hooks should be faster than that, and 9 eyelets should be slower than that.

There is a quicker way to do speedhooks than that? Care to share?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post


I have observed the same thing with my reverse chamois 9 eye boots. Takes forever.

So you're saying I'm not crazy??? haha  That's a relief. 

post #109290 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

There is a quicker way to do speedhooks than that? Care to share?

Yes, it seems that a surprising number of people on here don't know the real reason they are called speed hooks. I'm still home with a fever today, so I will attempt to make a short video to help everyone save some time each morning when they are booting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

So you're saying I'm not crazy??? haha  That's a relief. 

I didn't say that! wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.