or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7239  

post #108571 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm722 View Post

I'm looking to grab a pair of Alden Brooks Brother's Cordovan wingtips.  I believe they are on the park last, but I've never owned Aldens so I'm unfamiliar with them.  In Allen Edmonds I'm a size 9D or E in the 5 last, and 9E in the 333 last, and 9D in the 1 last.  Would I be able to fit into the Plaza last at size 9?  I read it is about .5 size longer than brannock, which I have found the case to be with AE 5 last. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

GREAT shoes in my opinion. They are not on the Plaza last, but rather the M-75. Fit and appearance are very similar to that of the Plaza (which is true-to-size), but perhaps a sminch longer. I bought a #8 pair in 9.5D, my usual size, but gave them to my son because they were a little too long. I have been waiting for a restock for over a year. I spoke to my deep-throat source at Alden, and she said they aren't discontinued, it is just that Brooks is not ordering as much.
post #108572 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver0321 View Post


Well the shoes have a scrape on the inside of the left shoe and I haven't even put them on.  Note inside says they only give store credit or exchange.  I never would have purchased from them had I known that. It didn't say that anywhere during the buying process.  Extremely disappointed. 

denver0321-we understand what you're saying...however the vast majority can't truly support this position because there are no photos. One pictures worth a thousand words. In addition very few members of this forum have had any problems with Leffot...they are an awesome source for Alden make ups. I'm certain if you have a legit defect Leffot will do the right thing.

Keep us posted on how things go, and take a few photos to post.

Steve
post #108573 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

 

Gentlemen,

 

I certainly would not recommend dropping major coin on shoes that will cause you undue stress and pain.

 

Nor would I wish that upon you fine men.

 

The Hampton is perhaps the second best fitting last for my feet that I have ever tried.  Plaza being the first.

 

@ReppTiePrepster, have you considered getting a rubber sole guard installed on heel and forefront to give extra cushion?

 

 

I'm just trying to be helpful.

 

There are obviously other Alden lasts that fit you chaps much better, so maybe if it ain't broke don't fix it...(No pun intended considering the leg and joint issues....)

 

Thanks guys and have a blessed week.

Absolutely.  When I finally go through with the 9016, that's probably what I will do.  I can actually be fine with the single leather sole if I'm not on my feet all day.  As to the fit of the Hampton last, it fits well for me, but any last with single leather soles will be uncomfortable over prolonged periods on my feet.

 

Thanks Watchman1, you are always very helpful my friend!

post #108574 of 122416
Agree with many of the comments above on the defect. You may see a flaw as a defect, and 9 of 10 on here will disagree and say isnt worth bringing it up with the retailer. Welcome to the world of Alden, where scratches are considered character and color variation out of the box is patina.

If you follow this thread that your experience isn't unique. Alden is not a well oiled machine and production hiccups are not uncommon. You may have to buff a scratch out upon arrival or send the shoes in for a re-dye.

Leffot might have a slightly more strict return policy than others but I agree it is not bad business to have a strict return policy. I'm sure if you have a defect they will take care of you.
post #108575 of 122416
There is a wealth of knowledge on Alden's in this thread. I'm still learning, but loving the read!
post #108576 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm722 View Post

I'm looking to grab a pair of Alden Brooks Brother's Cordovan wingtips.  I believe they are on the park last, but I've never owned Aldens so I'm unfamiliar with them.  In Allen Edmonds I'm a size 9D or E in the 5 last, and 9E in the 333 last, and 9D in the 1 last.  Would I be able to fit into the Plaza last at size 9?  I read it is about .5 size longer than brannock, which I have found the case to be with AE 5 last. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

GREAT shoes in my opinion. They are not on the Plaza last, but rather the M-75. Fit and appearance are very similar to that of the Plaza (which is true-to-size), but perhaps a sminch longer. I bought a #8 pair in 9.5D, my usual size, but gave them to my son because they were a little too long. I have been waiting for a restock for over a year. I spoke to my deep-throat source at Alden, and she said they aren't discontinued, it is just that Brooks is not ordering as much.

Concur with everything 8 says for what it's worth.

-Mike
post #108577 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver0321 View Post

Anybody have any experience dealing with Leffot? I have just received an order from them and was dumbfounded that they do not accept returns.  

Denver, sorry to hear about your issues and concerns. As others have said, Leffot is a top notch shoe sales establishment. If you believe the shoes are defective, then reach out to Leffot, which it sounds you have done. I would encourage you to be polite and patient as they will then be more willing to work with you. If they don't respond with a day or two, give them a call.

Like others have said, if possible, please post a picture here and we may be able to give you further advice.

-Mike
post #108578 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I don't think it's a last issue. Everyone of the Hampton lasted shoes I know of have a single leather sole, which is incredibly tough on those of us with knee and joint problems. After three knee surgeries over the last 20 years I have made it a policy to buy only double leather dress shoes. I don't get much use out of my unlined flex soles (suede, chrmxl, etc...). I have always been tempted to snag a pair of 9016. I know @Watchman1 speaks highly of this shoe, and I trust his judgment but don't trust my knees! frown.gif

Hey, I really would love if the sole was my issue but unfortunately it is not (although it possibly is a contributing factor)

Here are some data points:

I have 3 pairs of LWB on barrie with double leather - no problems - can walk for miles - just like sneakers
Nst on barrie double leather (same size as lwb above) - not nearly as comfortable and some soreness after a normal work day
Hampton x 3 - can't walk at a normal pace- leave them at office so I don't have to walk long distances in them
Brooks m-75 wingtip x 2pairs - second most comfortable shoe (even with a single sole)
Pct boot barrie double leather - 1/2 size up- also very comfortable

I'll spend the $100 to get a pair of single leather hamptons converted to double, but my hopes aren't up.
post #108579 of 122416
Nothing like catching a red eye flight out of SLC on an already delayed day of traveling. The trusted Leffot Indy's have come this far, 6 more hours til touch down in GA.


post #108580 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by breck81 View Post

Nothing like catching a red eye flight out of SLC on an already delayed day of traveling. The trusted Leffot Indy's have come this far, 6 more hours til touch down in GA.



... And the equally trusted MKs, natch.
post #108581 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

... And the equally trusted MKs, natch.

Good eye on the MKs Alpina. They are well trusted indeed.
post #108582 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post


Gentlemen,

I certainly would not recommend dropping major coin on shoes that will cause you undue stress and pain.

Nor would I wish that upon you fine men.

The Hampton is perhaps the second best fitting last for my feet that I have ever tried.  Plaza being the first.

@ReppTiePrepster
, have you considered getting a rubber sole guard installed on heel and forefront to give extra cushion?

@RevisIsland
, have you considered an orthopedic insert?  Perhaps you could get a half size bigger in length or go up a width to add the insert?

Maybe you men could consider a combo of both of the above options?

I'm just trying to be helpful.

There are obviously other Alden lasts that fit you chaps much better, so maybe if it ain't broke don't fix it...(No pun intended considering the leg and joint issues....)

Thanks guys and have a blessed week.

Unfortunately I tried the insert idea but that didn't work. Thanks for the idea. The funny thing is, too much cushion also causes problem (ie crepe soles)- it has to be a happy medium of support and cushion.
post #108583 of 122416

Opinion needed.  I live in the northeast.  Looking for a boot that can be worn year round when it rains.  Trying to avoid boots with speed hooks as they have historically destroyed the hems on my pants.  Also looking for low maintenance item.  Average to build (not trubalance) ... realizing this is my bootmatch.com post as I type.....

post #108584 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiealden View Post

Opinion needed.  I live in the northeast.  Looking for a boot that can be worn year round when it rains.  Trying to avoid boots with speed hooks as they have historically destroyed the hems on my pants.  Also looking for low maintenance item.  Average to build (not trubalance) ... realizing this is my bootmatch.com post as I type.....

Based off your post the first thing that comes to mind is something in reverse chamois or kudu leather. The troublesome part might be finding a boot in those leathers with all eyelets. Most of the make ups I've seen from various shops have hooks.
post #108585 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiealden View Post
 

Opinion needed.  I live in the northeast.  Looking for a boot that can be worn year round when it rains.  Trying to avoid boots with speed hooks as they have historically destroyed the hems on my pants.  Also looking for low maintenance item.  Average to build (not trubalance) ... realizing this is my bootmatch.com post as I type.....

Lots of opinions and options out there.

Find something in Cxl, Chamois, or Kudu. (or shell if you're willing)

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/footwear/products/alden-for-epaulet-lexington-tanker-boot-navy-chromexcel

That is a good example.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.