or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7221  

post #108301 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOxymoron View Post

Besides a horsehair brush and shoe trees, what is a must buy for my new color 8 975?

Venetian is great stuff and used by Nick Horween - Viberg also ships it out with their boots (got it with my Brandy shells).

http://www.styleforum.net/t/274603/nick-v-interviews-nick-horween-horween-leather

"My standby is neutral Venetian Cream. C.A. Zoes is a great, old Chicago company and they make great stuff. There are so many different great products out there, though. The Saphir line is also great, and I know there are a million different products that people swear by. Everyone has a slightly different preference, so I always encourage people to use the products that give them the appearance they like."

A lot of folks swear by that stuff, but I personally am not a fan. If it reeks of chemicals I won't use it.

I did buy a big 32oz container of it, though, so if anyone wants to test it out, just pay for postage and I'll send a sample. I'm never going to go through all this. I have no idea what I would put it in, though.

Also, the stuff I got with my Vibergs was Venetian Leather Balm, not shoe creme. It smells less like chemicals and is thicker.

I also wonder how knowledgeable Nick is about post-production care. I mean, it seems suspicious that he's peddling another Chicago company product.
post #108302 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post


A lot of folks swear by that stuff, but I personally am not a fan. If it reeks of chemicals I won't use it.

I did buy a big 32oz container of it, though, so if anyone wants to test it out, just pay for postage and I'll send a sample. I'm never going to go through all this. I have no idea what I would put it in, though.

Also, the stuff I got with my Vibergs was Venetian Leather Balm, not shoe creme. It smells less like chemicals and is thicker.

I also wonder how knowledgeable Nick is about post-production care. I mean, it seems suspicious that he's peddling another Chicago company product.

 

Straight from the website it seems the cream and balm are the same, just packed in glass bottles as a premium looking option.

 

post #108303 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

A lot of folks swear by that stuff, but I personally am not a fan. If it reeks of chemicals I won't use it.


I did buy a big 32oz container of it, though, so if anyone wants to test it out, just pay for postage and I'll send a sample. I'm never going to go through all this. I have no idea what I would put it in, though.

Also, the stuff I got with my Vibergs was Venetian Leather Balm, not shoe creme. It smells less like chemicals and is thicker.


I also wonder how knowledgeable Nick is about post-production care. I mean, it seems suspicious that he's peddling another Chicago company product.

Straight from the website it seems the cream and balm are the same, just packed in glass bottles as a premium looking option.



That's interesting. Maybe the formula has changed over the years? I can say with absolute certainly that the balm with my Vibergs has a very different smell and consistency than the large tin of VSC.

Either way, I am sort of sold on the practice of avoiding toxic solvents. so I try not to use the stuff.
post #108304 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Spring is solidly here, wearing my Alden of Madison not-yet-dirty-enough bucks today. Today's stains are brought to you by rusted-chain grease/water from an old bike I needed to throw out.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Nice White Bucks, bummer about the stains, hope they come out easily. +1 on using Nano or equivalent.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

saddles x j.crew

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Looking great MrDV! :-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
 

Saddles

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Looking great DonL!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

Whiskey WTB Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Lovely the Whiskey Wingtip Boots! :-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dreadmon View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Maiden voyage. From the recent bb corporate sale. I originally ordered the snuff tassels but when they came in I decided I didn't like the colour. As luck would have it, they had these sitting in the back.

 

Great Tassels. I love the BB model.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZOtheMAN View Post
 

hello everyone! first post here.

 

i've been reading SF threads for a long time now. thought i'd share my Alden boots for you all. i'm in love with these things.

 

indy in chromexcel. i believe these are bootmaker edition. i picked them up off of ebay for a steal last week. i plan to make these my everyday casual/hiking/traveling/riding boots. they seemed like such a good price i couldnt pass them up.  i think these would be very interesting if they came in shell whiskey or tobacco with a leather soul.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

shell cordovan #8 wingtips on the barrie last. picked these up from Alden of DC. they are great people and got me sized just right. i love these so much i've been wearing these pretty much 3 days a work week and maybe once every weekend. and they've broken in so nicely. had them about a month and a half now. i was originally looking for some captoe shell boots on the barrie last with speed hooks and leather soul but they didnt have that variation and i fell in love with these as soon as i put them on.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Congrats and thanks for sharing these boots. They both look well loved.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghart View Post

Just picked these up from AOM. Really liking them a lot with the commando sole. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Those are stunning. I am sure that you will enjoy them!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dreadmon View Post
 

I've always loved Alden's burnished tan calf and hope to own a makeup in that colour some day.

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I meant to post this a few weeks ago. Some 975 TLC. Fresh sole edge dressing followed by some Saphir high gloss wax. I used the wax because the Fiebing's sole edge dressing alone left a very matte finish. Does anyone know what Alden uses in the factory? Thanks.

 

Classic. Love them!

 

-Mike

post #108305 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Nice White Bucks, bummer about the stains, hope they come out easily. +1 on using Nano or equivalent.

Think you missed just a little bit of the conversation there. smile.gif Nano/defender/anykind of protection isn't coming anywhere near these bad boys. They're actually a bit browner now, after playing in the backyard of my office with my dogs this afternoon.
post #108306 of 122416
Cigar
post #108307 of 122416
I spoke with Frans Boone and he mentioned that he does not ship by post.nl to the U.S, only UPS. Has anyone been successful in getting him to ship by post? I am afraid of customs duties since I'll need these proxied.
post #108308 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Cigar Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Excellent.
post #108309 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

That's interesting. Maybe the formula has changed over the years? I can say with absolute certainly that the balm with my Vibergs has a very different smell and consistency than the large tin of VSC.

Either way, I am sort of sold on the practice of avoiding toxic solvents. so I try not to use the stuff.

Go back a few months in my post history to see a reasonable comparison of Reno vs VSC; I was like you - but my opinion is a bit different post test.

Regards,
BN
post #108310 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Cigar

Excellent!
post #108311 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Think you missed just a little bit of the conversation there. smile.gif Nano/defender/anykind of protection isn't coming anywhere near these bad boys. They're actually a bit browner now, after playing in the backyard of my office with my dogs this afternoon.

Yeah, didn't quite catch the not yet dirty enough part... :-)
post #108312 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I spoke with Frans Boone and he mentioned that he does not ship by post.nl to the U.S, only UPS. Has anyone been successful in getting him to ship by post? I am afraid of customs duties since I'll need these proxied.

It seems that the consensus thus far has been that UPS is not consistent on their customs fees, with it leaning a little towards no fees upon delivery.
FWIW, I had him ship to me via UPS and I did not get hit with customs.
I'm sure the proxy wouldn't mind if he needs to help out a brother in need...
post #108313 of 122416
I've had no UPS bill sent to me for my Frans Boone order, delivered about a month ago now. The customs sheet Frans Boone sent was explicitly a "return of US made goods to USA" form, so I have the affidavit on their part if UPS did hit me up for it. If I was gonna get dinged, I think I would have by now.
post #108314 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I spoke with Frans Boone and he mentioned that he does not ship by post.nl to the U.S, only UPS. Has anyone been successful in getting him to ship by post? I am afraid of customs duties since I'll need these proxied.

I think as long as Mr Boone makes sure to include the returning US made goods form you should be okay.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/375/~/duty-on-u.s.-made-goods-returning-to-the-u.s.

UPS will likely charge some kind of clearance/brokerage fee. No idea how much, but for Fedex it's around $25.
UPS will usually, but not always, collect on delivery.
post #108315 of 122416
Second wearing of these new loafers and they are so damn comfortable already. Does anyone make an unlined suede LWB?


Also, does the Epaulet tan suede belt match really well? Anyone have it and can post a pic with a pair of Alden tan. I assume it's basically as close a match as I can get.


Edited by Burzan - 4/16/15 at 8:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.