I used to think the same when DV would post his Ravello Tankers. Pretty content with Alden now that I have them.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 1:33 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7190post #107836 of 1224164/9/15 at 10:30ampost #107837 of 1224164/9/15 at 10:31ampost #107838 of 1224164/9/15 at 10:56ampost #107839 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:00ampost #107840 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:06amQuote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I've never been more convinced that tif and ryden are actually one person with multiple personality disorder.post #107841 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:11amQuote:Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I've never been more convinced that tif and ryden are actually one person with multiple personality disorder.
you should see what happens when we are in the same room, at the same time....Its quite the lively conversation with myselfpost #107842 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:16ampost #107843 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:22ampost #107844 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:23amFrustration at LHS fit (in shell).
Been looking for a "replacement" for my AE Patriots in brown shell cordovan do to non-optimal fit. Size 10E. Shoes are a couple of years old at this point. Length and width are fine, but I find it frustrating that the toe wall tapers down towards the front the shoe, which creates a modicum of discomfort over time on the tops of my toes.
I visited the great Alden Shop in San Francisco this week and tried 10E, 10D, 9.5E and I just couldn't dial in the right fit. On larks we also tried 10.5D, and 11C.
The Van last takes care of the toe wall issue I have with my AE's thanks to a fuller profile up front. However, my right foot flops out way too easily unless we used a tongue pad. I'm tempted to try the 10D, but they felt a bit too snug for comfort, particularly around the strap area on my left foot; so it's probably not a good idea to size down to a D width.
The 974 wingtip balmorrals I purchased earlier in the week were 10.5E in Tremont and the fit was just about spot on. I also tried the full stap loafer today in 10E and thanks to the narrower last, my right heel doesn't flop out, but they look like they are much less versatile than the LHS which I could easily dress up or down.
Admittedly - this is probably a loafer issue for me ingeneral. I visted a local AE store in SF yesterday and tried several loafers in 10E and 10EEE and couldnt dial in the right fit there either. My other pair of loafers, AE Patriots in calf 10EEE, are probably my best fitting pair, but still suffer somewhat form the toe wall issue (mitigated by the wider width. However I can't do 10EEE in AE shell; I've tried, way too loose.
Also has anyone figured out why cigar shell is so rare in in the Alden world when it can easily be procured from AE? Do any retailers sell LHS in cigar shell?post #107845 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:27amQuote:
That's a tough one because most people go the same size in Barrie and Trubalance. Forgetting about the width for a second; where does the ball of your foot end up in the barrie and trubalance?post #107846 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:33amQuote:
not quite sure how to answer your question but i believe the balls of my feet are at about the same location relative to each boot. they both fit great but i have a little more toe space with the trubalance due to it being a wider last. ive had a 7.5 barrie CT boot but it squished my toes a bit so i sold them.post #107847 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:35ampost #107848 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:44amQuote:Originally Posted by JjasonL
not quite sure how to answer your question but i believe the balls of my feet are at about the same location relative to each boot. they both fit great but i have a little more toe space with the trubalance due to it being a wider last. ive had a 7.5 barrie CT boot but it squished my toes a bit so i sold them.
Sometimes Barrie boots are a bit smaller.
That being said, you should measure on a Brannock device officially to make sure.
My guess would be 8.0 Aberdeen.post #107849 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:45am
Favorite that I OWN: Whiskey Wingtip boot (Cigar Indy's a close second)
Favorite that I DONT OWN (want, but will probably never get): Color 4 Wingtip Boot
Favorite that I DONT OWN (want and may get at some point): Ravello Wingtip Boot.post #107850 of 1224164/9/15 at 11:47am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 second ago
- › NDC St. Croix Softy (loafer) fit/sizing advice? 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 6 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 10 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 11 minutes ago
- › Vass whiskey shell cordovan F last penny loafers 42.5, 3 pieces tree 11 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 15 minutes ago
- › Ten C : The Emperor's New Clothes 17 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway