or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7122  

post #106816 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr789 View Post

Johnnyrich, great post!

Was seriously considering dropping for retail on the camel pt boots. Just snapped them for less than 5 bills. Johnnyrich you are the man.
post #106817 of 122416


Tax return done, plotting the next Aldens with scotch and cigar.  Something like, 1) go to Tiffany's, 2) chauffeur kids on a weekend, 3) Aldens show up!

post #106818 of 122416

Anyone have experience with Pelle Line? I ordered a pair of Aldens on the 19th, and when I check my order status it's cancelled...but I haven't received a notification about it. I sent an email, just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen.

post #106819 of 122416
Anyone know shipping charge from Fransboone to US? Anyone get hit with import taxes upon delivery? Aldens are US made so I don't believe there should be any import tax...I got my eye on the snuff suede Dover PTB with brass eyelets on double waterlock 😊
post #106820 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post

Anyone know shipping charge from Fransboone to US? Anyone get hit with import taxes upon delivery? Aldens are US made so I don't believe there should be any import tax...I got my eye on the snuff suede Dover PTB with brass eyelets on double waterlock 😊

Their shipping policy is here: http://www.fransboonestore.com/pages/shipping

Looks like they have free shipping outside the EU for 500 euro or more (ex. VAT).

Although Frans does a good job of labeling as made in the USA, consensus here seems to be that if it is shipped via UPS you'll get hit with some kind of customs "clearing" charge anyway. Sounds like baloney. They say on their website that they can ship via Post.nl if you request - I would highly suggest using Post NL and also having marked made in the USA - you should probably email them after you order to make sure this happens. I doubt Post NL (USPS shipping once it gets here) will levy you with customs charges.
post #106821 of 122416

Another beautiful spring day, this time with Ravello wingtip boot...

 

 


Edited by ReppTiePrepster - 3/23/15 at 5:31pm
post #106822 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagsun View Post

One of my favorite things about this thread and community are the WWSFD (What Would Styleforum Do) posts. So here's mine:

I live in the SF Bay Area, work in the tech industry and dress mostly business casual (chinos, OCBD, occasional sport coat - I might wear a suit once a year for a wedding or funeral). The majority of the time I work from home and might go to the office/meetings a couple times a month. This means I might be in shorts a lot of the time during warmer months and my shoes don't get a lot of wear with some pairs not seeing the light of day for months at a time. I also found after buying and selling many pairs over the years that my tastes now run more towards the casual side of boots and shoes. I also have less desire to own/buy shell cordovan (I sold my Cigar Indy's last year) and lately have been drawn more to suede. So here is my collection with comments on how I wear:

Aldens
  • Need Supply Tobacco Chamois Ranger Moc resoled on Dainite by B. Nelson - Van 8.5D - beater, around town shoe that I just leave at the door
  • TSM Seconds Leffot Tobacco Chamois Tanker Boot on Commando - use as a bad weather, backyard beater boot
  • #8 975 LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - doesn't get a lot of wear but a must keep
  • Leffot Snuff Suede LWB on flex sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S and gets regular wear (for me)
  • Leffot Ravello LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S, one vamp is slightly darker, and gets little wear
  • Alden DC 4060HC #8 Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 8.5D - these were just resoled by Alden free of charge after the welt stitching started showing
  • Alden DC Cigar Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 9D - one of my first purchases off B&S before dialing in my size. Wear with insoles. Love the color and look but seldom wear

Non-Aldens
  • C&J Islay Dark Brown Scotch Grain Wingtip Boot on Dainite - 365 Last UK7 - Bought in Paris last year and really like the style and fit
  • Herring Gosforth II Cigar Suede Chukka on Dainite (Loake Kempton) - 026 Last UK7.5 - With the strong dollar, bought these from Herring Shoes this Winter with free shipping for around $240. Comfortable and wear regularly

My current thinking is offloading either the Cigar captoe boot and/or Ravello LWB but haven't made any decisions. I''m also thinking of adding a brown, snuff (or roughout) suede captoe or wingtip boot down the line.

So given my background and usage WWSFD? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The cigar and ravello will get you the highest return.  I think that selling the cigar is a no-brainer given that its not a great fit for you.  I personally would see myself regretting selling the ravello LWB.  It seems like everything else is varied enough that there's not much duplication in the collection.  The only other comment is that maybe the #8 captoe on commando may not be that useful given your state usage profile???  Good luck with your decision!

post #106823 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Another beautiful spring day, this time with Ravello wingtip boot...

 

 

Wonderful boot and great pics!

post #106824 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by postal007 View Post

Their shipping policy is here: http://www.fransboonestore.com/pages/shipping

Looks like they have free shipping outside the EU for 500 euro or more (ex. VAT).

Although Frans does a good job of labeling as made in the USA, consensus here seems to be that if it is shipped via UPS you'll get hit with some kind of customs "clearing" charge anyway. Sounds like baloney. They say on their website that they can ship via Post.nl if you request - I would highly suggest using Post NL and also having marked made in the USA - you should probably email them after you order to make sure this happens. I doubt Post NL (USPS shipping once it gets here) will levy you with customs charges.
Much appreciated!
post #106825 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker View Post

Sir - these are awesome.  Is there a rule with bucks as to when they should be worn?  Was thinking of breaking mine out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Solid spring/summer showing DV.  I can't wait for more warm weather!

thanks for the kind words.

ny, as others have mentioned, there are rules regarding white shoes. i feel comfortable wearing them today because it's warm here and i'm on vacation.

rtp, my wife does not like black and navy together. black and jeans is fine for her, but i'm pretty much forbidden from black and navy. 

and, sweet ravello boots my friend.

post #106826 of 122416
[IMG]Hi all,

I have these pictures boots in an 8.5 (I think E - see picture). I believe they are Barrie last but unsure. I bought them from this store in London. http://www.contentstorelondon.com/collections/alden-shoe-company/products/aw14-a2001?variant=1040632608

I'd like to get myself a pair of 403 indys which I guess will come on the trubalence last. Should I size down to an 8D or stick with 8.5?

Thanks all
post #106827 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr789 View Post
 

Wonderful boot and great pics!

Much thanks my friend!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

thanks for the kind words.

ny, as others have mentioned, there are rules regarding white shoes. i feel comfortable wearing them today because it's warm here and i'm on vacation.

rtp, my wife does not like black and navy together. black and jeans is fine for her, but i'm pretty much forbidden from black and navy. 

and, sweet ravello boots my friend.

I just got into this exact same issue this morning with my wife.  I also do not care for a black and navy combination.  I would rather wear color 8 or some sort of brown with navy.  Black shell and jeans are ok together, but I still avoid it regularly.  Thanks for the nice words my friend!

post #106828 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post

Anyone know shipping charge from Fransboone to US? Anyone get hit with import taxes upon delivery? Aldens are US made so I don't believe there should be any import tax...I got my eye on the snuff suede Dover PTB with brass eyelets on double waterlock 😊
I got hit with $91 Broker's fees on Parajumpers........and that was UPS by the way.
post #106829 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr789 View Post

The cigar and ravello will get you the highest return.  I think that selling the cigar is a no-brainer given that its not a great fit for you.  I personally would see myself regretting selling the ravello LWB.  It seems like everything else is varied enough that there's not much duplication in the collection.  The only other comment is that maybe the #8 captoe on commando may not be that useful given your state usage profile???  Good luck with your decision!

This is in line with current thinking as I'll probably wear the Ravello LWB more than the Cigar captoe boot. The #8 captoe boot is also a consideration.
post #106830 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Another beautiful spring day, this time with Ravello wingtip boot...

 

 

Fantastic



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.