or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7121  

post #106801 of 122416
One of my favorite things about this thread and community are the WWSFD (What Would Styleforum Do) posts. So here's mine:

I live in the SF Bay Area, work in the tech industry and dress mostly business casual (chinos, OCBD, occasional sport coat - I might wear a suit once a year for a wedding or funeral). The majority of the time I work from home and might go to the office/meetings a couple times a month. This means I might be in shorts a lot of the time during warmer months and my shoes don't get a lot of wear with some pairs not seeing the light of day for months at a time. I also found after buying and selling many pairs over the years that my tastes now run more towards the casual side of boots and shoes. I also have less desire to own/buy shell cordovan (I sold my Cigar Indy's last year) and lately have been drawn more to suede. So here is my collection with comments on how I wear:

Aldens
  • Need Supply Tobacco Chamois Ranger Moc resoled on Dainite by B. Nelson - Van 8.5D - beater, around town shoe that I just leave at the door
  • TSM Seconds Leffot Tobacco Chamois Tanker Boot on Commando - use as a bad weather, backyard beater boot
  • #8 975 LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - doesn't get a lot of wear but a must keep
  • Leffot Snuff Suede LWB on flex sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S and gets regular wear (for me)
  • Leffot Ravello LWB on double leather sole - Barrie 8D - purchased off B&S, one vamp is slightly darker, and gets little wear
  • Alden DC 4060HC #8 Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 8.5D - these were just resoled by Alden free of charge after the welt stitching started showing
  • Alden DC Cigar Captoe Boot on Commando - Grant 9D - one of my first purchases off B&S before dialing in my size. Wear with insoles. Love the color and look but seldom wear

Non-Aldens
  • C&J Islay Dark Brown Scotch Grain Wingtip Boot on Dainite - 365 Last UK7 - Bought in Paris last year and really like the style and fit
  • Herring Gosforth II Cigar Suede Chukka on Dainite (Loake Kempton) - 026 Last UK7.5 - With the strong dollar, bought these from Herring Shoes this Winter with free shipping for around $240. Comfortable and wear regularly

My current thinking is offloading either the Cigar captoe boot and/or Ravello LWB but haven't made any decisions. I''m also thinking of adding a brown, snuff (or roughout) suede captoe or wingtip boot down the line.

So given my background and usage WWSFD? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #106802 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

white suede saddles + white ankles

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sir - these are awesome.  Is there a rule with bucks as to when they should be worn?  Was thinking of breaking mine out as well.

post #106803 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post


I can respect that. I guess I consider it "hand" grade because they actually trace the clicking shapes to hides before they to any press work. Granted I can see your point also. Obviously you can't "click" leather without a press, but yes they could cut it all by hand. I see no benefit to being hand cut over clicking. Clicking is more uniform and saves them a lot of time = money = savings for us (maybe?). Aside from the novelty of being "hand cut" I'm cool with the clicking!

You nailed it, at the end of the day we are all here to discuss and share! None of us would be here if we didn't have some crazy standards over our clothing and shoes.

"Clicking" is the term for hand cutting the patterns, FYI. The term came from the sound the knife makes as the person does the cutting. Now the term seems to be  generally used for all cutting out of patterns by any means. 

 

I think some companies use a laser guided water-jet type machine for cutting patterns. I think that is what the other poster meant by "machine cut".

post #106804 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker View Post

Sir - these are awesome.  Is there a rule with bucks as to when they should be worn?  Was thinking of breaking mine out as well.

It is mostly a Southern thing, but white shoes, pants, or even your straw boater should only be worn after Easter, and before Labor Day. I doubt anyone will throw down the gauntlet and demand satisfaction of their honor if you step out on a warm day before then in white, so feel free to act the Yankee wink.gif
post #106805 of 122416

^ I think the general convention is from Memorial Day through Labor Day.  But if you live in California, I expect the rules are quite a bit different.  

post #106806 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit View Post


It is mostly a Southern thing, but white shoes, pants, or even your straw boater should only be worn after Easter, and before Labor Day. I doubt anyone will throw down the gauntlet and demand satisfaction of their honor if you step out on a warm day before then in white, so feel free to act the Yankee wink.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
 

^ I think the general convention is from Memorial Day through Labor Day.  But if you live in California, I expect the rules are quite a bit different.  

Thanks guys!  I thought it was Memorial Day to Labor Day myself. Definitely agree dress norms will be different in California, the south, and up North.

post #106807 of 122416

Acting a Yankee would likely entail abiding the old rules, that is waiting until Memorial Day to don white shoes and stopping at Labor Day. Unless you are spending time in tropical climates/ locations, in which case wear them all the time. Cheers. 

 

Edit: I am sure many rules regarding dress do not apply when one lives in California, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

post #106808 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

"Clicking" is the term for hand cutting the patterns, FYI. The term came from the sound the knife makes as the person does the cutting. Now the term seems to be  generally used for all cutting out of patterns by any means. 

I think some companies use a laser guided water-jet type machine for cutting patterns. I think that is what the other poster meant by "machine cut".

That's strange, I've worked professionally in the leather goods industry for close to five years, and the pneumatic or hand operated press that provides the force behind the dies that determine the shape of the cut, is called a "clicker press". I think the entire industry defines "clicking" as using a precut die to effectively stamp shapes out of leather. You very well might be right. The vast majority of leather workers would be using the term incorrectly, though!! Haha.
I know it's just wiki, but here's a tiny article http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_cutting_%28web%29
post #106809 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post


That's strange, I've worked professionally in the leather goods industry for close to five years, and the pneumatic or hand operated press that provides the force behind the dies that determine the shape of the cut, is called a "clicker press". I think the entire industry defines "clicking" as using a precut die to effectively stamp shapes out of leather. You very well might be right. The vast majority of leather workers would be using the term incorrectly, though!! Haha.
I know it's just wiki, but here's a tiny article http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_cutting_%28web%29

I'm not saying that the industry is wrong. What I'm saying is the term came from a time when it was cut by hand. Now the term means to cut out patterns by any method. 

Just a couple I could quickly find:

Clicking:

http://www.loake.co.uk/craftsmanship/

 

Clicking:

http://www.wildsmith.com/making


Edited by tifosi - 3/23/15 at 1:53pm
post #106810 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
 

^ I think the general convention is from Memorial Day through Labor Day.  But if you live in California, I expect the rules are quite a bit different.  


as it relates to white pants my wife is extremely opinionated on this subject...

post #106811 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

i'm assuming a few of you copped the latest Alden offerings from Roden Gray? I like



Damn, those Byrnes are nice. Just k0pped a pair, thanks!
post #106812 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 


as it relates to white pants my wife is extremely opinionated on this subject...

Lol.  So am I.

post #106813 of 122416
Hey guys - has this ever happened on your plantation crepe soled shoes? I've had these Context Roy Boots for a little bit (about a year or so) and the sole is splitting. It may be because I wear these pair exclusively for wet weather - but is it normal for this to happen?




EDIT: And no, I'm not trolling on Alden QC/quality, just figuring out if anyone has this happen before. I may need to seek a cobbler.
post #106814 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

white suede saddles + white ankles


Solid spring/summer showing DV.  I can't wait for more warm weather!

post #106815 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker View Post
 

Sir - these are awesome.  Is there a rule with bucks as to when they should be worn?  Was thinking of breaking mine out as well.

I usually wear my white (saddle) bucks with seersucker and other light colored summery pants/suits.  I think the general rule of thumb is no seersucker or white pants before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, but who cares...  it's summer in SD all year round.

 

[Edit: Sorry for the redundancy.  Didn't read ahead.]


Edited by ReppTiePrepster - 3/23/15 at 5:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.