Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 7099post #106471 of 1224163/20/15 at 6:05ampost #106472 of 1224163/20/15 at 6:10ampost #106473 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:00ampost #106474 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:08ampost #106475 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:10amQuote:Originally Posted by Alpina
An ebay auction for a pair of virtually new Halleck boots (black edge, commando) ended this evening. Opening bid was $549 and I'm amazed they went untouched. I am dying for a pair of halleck/brixtons and would have been all over them, except they were a half size small at 8.5D.
But, the temptation to try to fit them led me to learn a few things, and that follows on the recent conversation about foot length and arch length. I have always known I was a tweener--between a 9 and 9.5, but I have never measured my own feet carefully on a brannock device. Turns out my left foot is a 9+ and my right foot is an 8.5. But get this--my heel-to-ball is a 10 for both feet. This makes sense, as I consider myself, for whatever reason (what shoes they feel best in) a true 9.5. Brannock will say that it's the larger of the two measurements (heel-to-toe vs heel-to-ball) but a 10 for me would have too much extra room to work.
So, even though I felt I had enough toe room in my 9D barrie shell boots to fit into an 8.5, it really wouldn't have been appropriate for my relatively long arch length. Walking in them would have been very uncomfortable.
very similar to me at 9/9.5post #106476 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:41ampost #106477 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:43ampost #106478 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:50ampost #106479 of 1224163/20/15 at 7:52ampost #106480 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:01ampost #106481 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Your instep is going to really impact your van sizing. Most go down a half size on the van (same as Barrie) but I take the same length as the Hampton, but size down two widths. That gets the strap lower on my foot and keeps the loafer nice and tight. Unless you have a very standard foot, or aren't particularly picky about fit, buying based on online feedback isn't great - especially when you already have a bunch of shoes that don't fit properly.
Dear Joe, I thank you very much for your feedback.
I decided to go 8.5D last minute. That same size as Barrie, since they are unlined and suede.
It is a limited risk since 9D is still available as well at he online retailer where I got the shoes.
I will gladly present them here once they arrive, let´s keep fingers crossed.post #106482 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:20ampost #106483 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:27amPSA - Bureau has restocked their #8 LWB. Antique edge, double leather sole. (Same as Leffot, I beleve)
https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/3673/color-8-cordovan-long-wing-blucherpost #106484 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:33ampost #106485 of 1224163/20/15 at 8:33amQuote:
For me, I will sometimes step up on a curb or a raised sidewalk groove. Sometimes I will knock off the black taps, which always protrude. Not so with the flush ones.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 26 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 56 seconds ago
- › Khaki's of Carmel - Official Affiliate Thread - Carmel-by-the-Sea,... 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 4 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 14 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 17 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...