If you like black saddles, Need Supply has their "Freeman" calfskin version that are a great value right now.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 12:27 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6969post #104521 of 1224163/1/15 at 8:23ampost #104522 of 1224163/1/15 at 8:49ampost #104523 of 1224163/1/15 at 8:51ampost #104524 of 1224163/1/15 at 9:18ampost #104525 of 1224163/1/15 at 9:21amQuote:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Originally Posted by sazon
looking damn good.Quote:Originally Posted by MrDV
started watching house of cards season 3 last night, allowed for some brushing.
gave my cigars a bit of tlc + new laces. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
If you sell those #8PCT and you regret it, you can replace them relatively easily with something very similar.
On the other hand, how often do cigar Indys come around???
thank you sir.post #104526 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:08ampost #104527 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:10amQuote:Originally Posted by DuckOB
Great pics over the past few days, the ravello shoes look great and that shined up cigar indy is awesome.
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of cigar captoes on grant, on commando.
a first for grant and commando for me.
Here's a couple of pictures when I got them today.
I wiped them down with a wet rag, then applied lexol, wiped and brushed for about 10-15 minutes each and then wiped down again
looking better now
last, was to apply some saphir dark brown for cordovan ( Neats foot oil based), wiped off, brushed and buffed again.....more to go but pretty happy with the results
hopefully you all don't mind all the pics
have a good weekend guys,
Looks like some great results. I really like all the pictures and hope you keep that up!post #104528 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:13amQuote:Originally Posted by MrDV
started watching house of cards season 3 last night, allowed for some brushing.
gave my cigars a bit of tlc + new laces.
outstanding collection sir.
Excellent, sir! Any particular reason that you needed new laces?post #104529 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:13am
okay.. so i just ordered a pair of jcrew alden PCTs and i have a question as these are my first pair of shells.. yay!!!
i know about the mac method of breaking them in, but do i need to get a deer bone to smooth out rolls?post #104530 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:15amQuote:
Am no expert, but I use a spoon (and I think others have described that as well).post #104531 of 1224163/1/15 at 11:31ampost #104532 of 1224163/1/15 at 12:18pmpost #104533 of 1224163/1/15 at 12:28pmpost #104534 of 1224163/1/15 at 1:00pm
Guys, here's another installment of caring for your Cordovan...
Since my last post on this topic, I've had a few members PM me asking about how I use Dubbin, and why.
I started using Spahir Dubbing as a conditioner for my CXL boots that I use as my winter pair (Perf Cap Toes, Brown). Winter in New England is snow, muck and salt - and at the end of each week, I'd give my boots some love - I tried and used both Greasy Leather cream and Dubbin, and just liked the way Dubbin went on, and that is could be buffed to a nice luster on CXL.
Like many of you, I'm a leather fan in general - wallet, belt, jacket, baseball glove....
I bought two Natural Shell Fat Herbies last winter and started using one them with a pair of Raw Samuari jeans - this lead to transfer of indigo to wallet, which led to a lot of experimentation on cleaning and nourishing shell.
In any case, this is how I learned that you can do a lot, and that Saphir dubbin does a great job (imo) in nourishing shell. I have even rubbed down my entire Context x Schott Horween Natural FQHH jacket with this stuff.
So to the point....
So here are my Cigar Cap toes without anything applied to the crease points on the vamp - I just pulled them out. These are regulars in my rotation and one of my more heavily worn shell boots.
In this photo, I have had applied a thin layer to the crease points on both shoes - and to the entire toe
Because Cigar doesn't show absorption like the lighter colors of shell, I pulled out my Ravello SW boots and did the same. This first pic is intentionally half done to shoe how the shell darkens when Dubbin is applied.
Flex point fully covered with a thin coat
On the lighter colored shell, the darkening is visible upon application (this is good) and then goes back to normal after a number of hours.
I let this sit on the shoes for a 2-3 hours, and then simply buff. There is a light film left behind by Dubbin that comes off with buffing - on both shell and CXL. I really like this stuff and if a regular part of the care of the flex points of all my shell cordovan footwear.
Anyway, this is my routine - ymmv, and as always, use at your own risk...
BNpost #104535 of 1224163/1/15 at 1:05pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 4 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 12 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 12 minutes ago
- › My Balmoral Boots 14 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...