or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6919  

post #103771 of 122416
Worn my RTC Indy Shoes pretty hard over the years....have only brushed them a few times. Never added oils etc.
post #103772 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Owners of reverse tobacco chamois boots: what do you use for care? Is there a conditioner that needs to be applied?

I couldn't find any info so I emailed Horween recently about caring for reverse chamios. They just replied to brushed them and apply neatsfoot oil to condition. Seems like a very low maintenance leather.
post #103773 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Owners of reverse tobacco chamois boots: what do you use for care? Is there a conditioner that needs to be applied?
Virtually no care required -- can be oiled from time to time (like every year or so) - or not - and brushed out w stiff bristled suede brush. Otherwise the leather is very heavily oiled and needs no real maintenance. This from Winn Perry.
post #103774 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

Friends,
I seek your help in figuring out my size for my next purchase. I wish to buy the Alden LHS in color 8 ( the lined version). I'm a 11D in Barrie and 11.5D on the Hampton last.
I'm not sure if I should go with a size 11D or 11E on the van last.
I seek your help.
Thanks to all you wonderful people.

P.S. my foot type is normal ie. No high instep etc.

I would be obliged if gentleman on the forum would care to extend their help.

Thanks very much.

post #103775 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

I would be obliged if gentleman on the forum would care to extend their help.
Thanks very much.

I would suggest the 11D. I like going TTS on the Van but that is unconventional as I struggle to get them on if I go down a half size because of the loafer shape.
post #103776 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

I would be obliged if gentleman on the forum would care to extend their help.
Thanks very much.

I wear a pretty snug 7.5D Barrie and went with a 7.5D in the Van last as well. I sized that way as I like to wear loafers with a thin no show sock. The Van last actually has some nice toe room, quite snug across the strap which I like in a loafer. I still have some breaking in to do on them.
post #103777 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I wear a pretty snug 7.5D Barrie and went with a 7.5D in the Van last as well. I sized that way as I like to wear loafers with a thin no show sock. The Van last actually has some nice toe room, quite snug across the strap which I like in a loafer. I still have some breaking in to do on them.

I agree with Burzan. I too go with the same size in both Barrie and Van. The Van may be a little snug across the strap, but that's ok for a loafer.
post #103778 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

I would be obliged if gentleman on the forum would care to extend their help.
Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I would suggest the 11D. I like going TTS on the Van but that is unconventional as I struggle to get them on if I go down a half size because of the loafer shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I wear a pretty snug 7.5D Barrie and went with a 7.5D in the Van last as well. I sized that way as I like to wear loafers with a thin no show sock. The Van last actually has some nice toe room, quite snug across the strap which I like in a loafer. I still have some breaking in to do on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryIII View Post

I agree with Burzan. I too go with the same size in both Barrie and Van. The Van may be a little snug across the strap, but that's ok for a loafer.

I sized Barrie and Van the same way as well. The have trouble with the loafer style in the standard B/D width as the forefoot is not wide enough for me while the heel is too big.
post #103779 of 122416

I took my loafer as the same size as barrie (with a thin heel pad on my slightly smaller foot)

post #103780 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post

PSA:
Seems like ShoeMart has gotten a Whiskey LWB shipment. Most common sizes available when I write this.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_long_wing_blucher_shell_cordovan_color_8/pv-ald-975_ald_m_long_wing_blucher_shell_cordovan.html


I failed to get a size 7.   :brick:

I've seen other rare shells on their site and always received the same error message when I try to add it into my cart.

It seems like they added these rare shells onto their site a while ago but never removed them from the online inventory.

post #103781 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

I would suggest the 11D. I like going TTS on the Van but that is unconventional as I struggle to get them on if I go down a half size because of the loafer shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I wear a pretty snug 7.5D Barrie and went with a 7.5D in the Van last as well. I sized that way as I like to wear loafers with a thin no show sock. The Van last actually has some nice toe room, quite snug across the strap which I like in a loafer. I still have some breaking in to do on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryIII View Post

I agree with Burzan. I too go with the same size in both Barrie and Van. The Van may be a little snug across the strap, but that's ok for a loafer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmallo15 View Post




I sized Barrie and Van the same way as well. The have trouble with the loafer style in the standard B/D width as the forefoot is not wide enough for me while the heel is too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

I took my loafer as the same size as barrie (with a thin heel pad on my slightly smaller foot)

I believe the usual strategy is to size Van and Barrie the same, with that said, Van is a pretty hard fit to nail due to the strap.

If your Barrie shoes are tight then there is a possibility of the strap becoming uncomfortable, though this is typically a problem with high arch. If your Barrie shoes are roomy already, then you may run the risk of heel slippage, this can be easily fix with a tongue pad. I find the Van last have the same, if not more, toe room than Barrie, so going wider is usually not needed. I would go 1/2 size up if the strap becomes a problem, and tough pad if there is some over correction.

Hope that helps, it's a beautiful shoe, one of the best models from Alden IMHO.

-D
post #103782 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

No matter how much I try I can't stay away. Thinking of selling my 4060HC in color 8 shell and picking up one of these. I wore the 4060's once since I moved to Texas 9 months ago so I see no point in hanging on to them. 

Which one to go with? They both have the brass eyelets and the Alden commando sole which I prefer.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

Looks like it's unanimous. Alt Wiens have been ordered.

I've always liked the versatility of the Alden commando sole but with the new job there are days when I'm on my feet quite a bit. I've realized that the extra bit of cushioning from a commando or dainite sole helps a lot during those days.

I would vote Alt Wien as well and am glad to see you went that way, but I love hole punches as my wife would put it. :-)

Bummer about the 4060s, great boot, but your logic in offloading them is valid.

-Mike
post #103783 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zennypoo View Post





I believe the usual strategy is to size Van and Barrie the same, with that said, Van is a pretty hard fit to nail due to the strap.

If your Barrie shoes are tight then there is a possibility of the strap becoming uncomfortable, though this is typically a problem with high arch. If your Barrie shoes are roomy already, then you may run the risk of heel slippage, this can be easily fix with a tongue pad. I find the Van last have the same, if not more, toe room than Barrie, so going wider is usually not needed. I would go 1/2 size up if the strap becomes a problem, and tough pad if there is some over correction.

Hope that helps, it's a beautiful shoe, one of the best models from Alden IMHO.

-D

Ha! I see my influence in the way your wrote your post D! Good stuff... :-)

I concur with your assessment, but thought I would add a few more thoughts from my experience with the Van.

Most size same as Barrie, but it is a three dimensional problem and it depends upon how high your instep is. I wear 10.5B on the Barrie, but have to wear 10C on the Van in order to have a little more material width wise to go over my instep. I wear 10D on Unlined versions of the Van such as the Suede LHSes or the BB LHSes.

As always, I suggest that you take all our advice as ancillary input and try them on for yourself. If you can't go into a store, then be cautious when trying on and walk gently/carefully on carpet first. It should be obvious if it is murdering your instep or if you are going to walk out of them even befoee you take a step.

-Mike
post #103784 of 122416
i want price ,size and availability of burgundy model
post #103785 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post


I would suggest the 11D. I like going TTS on the Van but that is unconventional as I struggle to get them on if I go down a half size because of the loafer shape.

Thanks V much TO Tie Guy, Yes that does sound unconventional but I'm sure you have a very comfortable shoe with TTS.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post


I wear a pretty snug 7.5D Barrie and went with a 7.5D in the Van last as well. I sized that way as I like to wear loafers with a thin no show sock. The Van last actually has some nice toe room, quite snug across the strap which I like in a loafer. I still have some breaking in to do on them.

Thanks v much Burzan! So just like TO Tie Guy, its been TTS for you too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryIII View Post


I agree with Burzan. I too go with the same size in both Barrie and Van. The Van may be a little snug across the strap, but that's ok for a loafer.

Thanks so much Henry!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmallo15 View Post





I sized Barrie and Van the same way as well. The have trouble with the loafer style in the standard B/D width as the forefoot is not wide enough for me while the heel is too big.

Thanks schmallo! So you're suggesting that like a lot of others who go barrie size with increased width, that could be a problem with because of a loose heel.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post
 

I took my loafer as the same size as barrie (with a thin heel pad on my slightly smaller foot)

Kwhitelaw, much appreciate my friend.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennypoo View Post






I believe the usual strategy is to size Van and Barrie the same, with that said, Van is a pretty hard fit to nail due to the strap.

If your Barrie shoes are tight then there is a possibility of the strap becoming uncomfortable, though this is typically a problem with high arch. If your Barrie shoes are roomy already, then you may run the risk of heel slippage, this can be easily fix with a tongue pad. I find the Van last have the same, if not more, toe room than Barrie, so going wider is usually not needed. I would go 1/2 size up if the strap becomes a problem, and tough pad if there is some over correction.

Hope that helps, it's a beautiful shoe, one of the best models from Alden IMHO.

-D

Thanks zennypoo! That is very well put. Appreciate your response!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Ha! I see my influence in the way your wrote your post D! Good stuff... :-)

I concur with your assessment, but thought I would add a few more thoughts from my experience with the Van.

Most size same as Barrie, but it is a three dimensional problem and it depends upon how high your instep is. I wear 10.5B on the Barrie, but have to wear 10C on the Van in order to have a little more material width wise to go over my instep. I wear 10D on Unlined versions of the Van such as the Suede LHSes or the BB LHSes.

As always, I suggest that you take all our advice as ancillary input and try them on for yourself. If you can't go into a store, then be cautious when trying on and walk gently/carefully on carpet first. It should be obvious if it is murdering your instep or if you are going to walk out of them even befoee you take a step.

-Mike

Thanks very Mike! Appreciate your response and care to make sure I make the right sizing choice.

 

Thank you all Sirs! I'm a long way from America, but I guess there is no substitute to a store visit for the perfect fit.

Now what does one do to the Alden urge :puzzled:  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.