or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6691  

post #100351 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Quick poll for those interested in dress shoes for suits.  I have a wide variety of bluchers and wear suits from time to time (2-3 times per month).  I usually go with my 2145, color 8 medallion cap toe blucher, but have been wanting to snag a good pair of oxfords/bals to wear with suits, but not necessarily exclusively for suits.  Which of the following would you recommend for this role.  I do think I want to go with Black, but not necessarily shell.

9741 - Black shell (short)-wingtip balmoral (Tremont))
9071 - Black Shell cap toe bal  (Hampton)
9016 - Black Shell perforated cap toe bal (Hampton)
Alden on Madison's semibrogue Black Shell on Hampton (similar to AE's strand design - medallion cap toe bal)

I could be talked into color 8, or black calf, I suppose.  Or maybe I should just stick to bluchers and pick up something new and interesting.  confused.gif
Thanks in advance...
@sevenfoldtieguy

I own the 9016. I wear it with suits and wool pants / jackets and wool pants / sweater combos. I would not wear it with chinos or denim. But for suits and "dress pants," its great.
post #100352 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post


They both do. Yeah, J. Crew just ripped off TSM's makeup. What more could we expect?

I don't think that's really an accurate or fair assessment.  

post #100353 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Quick poll for those interested in dress shoes for suits.  I have a wide variety of bluchers and wear suits from time to time (2-3 times per month).  I usually go with my 2145, color 8 medallion cap toe blucher, but have been wanting to snag a good pair of oxfords/bals to wear with suits, but not necessarily exclusively for suits.  Which of the following would you recommend for this role.  I do think I want to go with Black, but not necessarily shell.

 

9741 - Black shell (short)-wingtip balmoral (Tremont))

9071 - Black Shell cap toe bal  (Hampton)

9016 - Black Shell perforated cap toe bal (Hampton)

Alden on Madison's semibrogue Black Shell on Hampton (similar to AE's strand design - medallion cap toe bal)

 

I could be talked into color 8, or black calf, I suppose.  Or maybe I should just stick to bluchers and pick up something new and interesting.  :confused:

Thanks in advance...

@sevenfoldtieguy


why not a wingtip bal on plaza?  

post #100354 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

I don't think that's really an accurate or fair assessment.  

Yeah, I was more joking. It is; however, the same exact boot.

In the future I will use a sarcasm signal to be more clear *sarcasm* :P
post #100355 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Quick poll for those interested in dress shoes for suits. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  I have a wide variety of bluchers and wear suits from time to time (2-3 times per month).  I usually go with my 2145, color 8 medallion cap toe blucher, but have been wanting to snag a good pair of oxfords/bals to wear with suits, but not necessarily exclusively for suits.  Which of the following would you recommend for this role.  I do think I want to go with Black, but not necessarily shell.

9741 - Black shell (short)-wingtip balmoral (Tremont))
9071 - Black Shell cap toe bal  (Hampton)
9016 - Black Shell perforated cap toe bal (Hampton)
Alden on Madison's semibrogue Black Shell on Hampton (similar to AE's strand design - medallion cap toe bal)

I could be talked into color 8, or black calf, I suppose.  Or maybe I should just stick to bluchers and pick up something new and interesting.  confused.gif
Thanks in advance...
@sevenfoldtieguy
Hey RTP! I can't believe you don't have any of those already smile.gif

Last year I picked up the 9015 #8 perf ct bal and the 907 black calf ct bal from a shoe mart seconds sale. It's been great have these in the arsenal. I wore a lot of wing tip bals and LWB with suits and SCs, but the captoe bals are classier IMO. I wear them when I feel I need a bit more formality … with a blazer & odd trousers, a suit, or at night. I'd go captoe perf or straight with no medallion in #8 & black … I think you'll get good use outta both.

Black calf isn't bad and shines up nicely. One thing about about about a black straight tip is that they are harder to dress down … but are stunning when you wanna get dressed up.
post #100356 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post


Yeah, I was more joking. It is; however, the same exact boot.

In the future I will use a sarcasm signal to be more clear *sarcasm* :P

Got it.  And though it seems incredibly minor, you can fill volumes with the discussions on this thread as to the aesthetics/desirability/etc… of the 270 welt as opposed to a 360 welt.  The boots ARE different in that one aspect.  You will find people who are adamant about one being superior to the other.

 

Actually, I quite prefer the 270 welt on this boot…  :D

post #100357 of 122416
RTP - I have all three, and I never wear them w/ anything other than a suit. To the point that I'm now probably going to get rid of 1 or 2 of them. That being said, I think the captoe bal would be the most formal and least versatile for wear w/o a suit.
post #100358 of 122416
@totalair1

Don't our preorders come in around May/June? They told me 6 or so months back in November. frown.gif

The one thing I hate about Alden is the turnaround times. Ugh.
post #100359 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by movoblast View Post

Hey guys, how does alden suede wear over time? I know we all love cordovan because of the patina, but does suede age as gracefully?

Here's a pair that I got back in 2009. I don't wear them as much now as I did then, but it gives a decent idea of snuff suede with some wear. I think I nano'd them once or twice in the first year. Since then I've worn them more casually. The nap of the suede on the toes is pretty worn-- to the point that brushing doesn't really bring it back. It also shows spots, but hey, they're boots.

post #100360 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Got it.  And though it seems incredibly minor, you can fill volumes with the discussions on this thread as to the aesthetics/desirability/etc… of the 270 welt as opposed to a 360 welt.  The boots ARE different in that one aspect.  You will find people who are adamant about one being superior to the other.

Actually, I quite prefer the 270 welt on this boot…  biggrin.gif

Oh shoot! I'm under the impression that it's TSM counterpart has a 270 welt too. I'm pretty sure it does.
Here's their stock picture

Here is a real picture from my good friend .
@Carson can you confirm? 270° welt?
post #100361 of 122416
Maiden voyage! Love Commando.

post #100362 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post


Oh shoot! I'm under the impression that it's TSM counterpart has a 270 welt too. I'm pretty sure it does.
Here's their stock picture

Here is a real picture from my good friend .
@Carson can you confirm? 270° welt?

Right you are.  Well I'll be darned.  JCrew ripped those right off!  :smarmy:

post #100363 of 122416
Did you pull TSM pic from a seconds list? Because if so, I think they're one and the same. If not, I didn't know TSM offered a PCT boot.
post #100364 of 122416
post #100365 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Right you are.  Well I'll be darned.  JCrew ripped those right off!  mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Hey, atleast they put their name on it!! wink.gif
I think Alden manufactures this very same boot under the name "Jumper". I'm not solid on that, though. It comes in different leather flavores and on the Trubalance as well as Barrie. Pretty convoluted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbix View Post

Did you pull TSM pic from a seconds list? Because if so, I think they're one and the same. If not, I didn't know TSM offered a PCT boot.

Yes, it's a picture from the seconds list. I think they occasionally carry it as a stock model, though. Or they did...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.