or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shrink a cashmere jumper ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shrink a cashmere jumper ?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have 3 cashmere jumpers which are too large for my taste. I thought about puting them in hot water for a few minutes. Do you think it could make them shrink without making any damage to the threads? Could it be a good way to make them more tight ?
post #2 of 12
NO... I tried this once with a merino wool, and it shrinks in an odd way. Trust me on this -- it cannot be done.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
NO...  I tried this once with a merino wool, and it shrinks in an odd way.  Trust me on this -- it cannot be done.
Did you put it in a washing machine? Odd in which way?
post #4 of 12
Wait, perhaps I misunderstood you -- are you going to then DRY the thing in a dryer? If so, it shrinks mainly up (gets shorter) and the arms become tiny. If you are just talking about soaking it and letting it air dry, I think you run a better risk of stretching it than shrinking it. Maybe I'm wrong though.
post #5 of 12
Measure how big you want the sweater to be, then dip in tepid water. Squeeze out extra water and place sweater on a flat surface with a towel covering. Start pulling sweater to desired measurements. Do this periodicaly as the sweater dries. This technique is called blocking.
post #6 of 12
Blocking largely holds the same size, with some effect on length. The proper way to do this is to take the garments to a tailor or dressmaker, who can alter all three to fit properly in multiple dimensions, probably for $25 or $30 each.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Interesting issue as we have got 3 differents opinions... I just wanted to wet it and let it dry lying.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Blocking largely holds the same size, with some effect on length. The proper way to do this is to take the garments to a tailor or dressmaker, who can alter all three to fit properly in multiple dimensions, probably for $25 or $30 each.
Oh geez, why haven't I thought of that earlier? Brilliant.
post #9 of 12
Yeah, Mr. Dryer the Tailor is very unpredictable. I would not recommend experimenting unless you don't mind losing the ability to wear the item. Alas, one should just try to purchase items that fit oneself (a lesson that I painfully learned). Jon.
post #10 of 12
Alter yes, boil NO NO NO Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Alter yes, boil NO NO NO Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly
mais non. le cheezburger, eet ees for redneck
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Quote:
(Carlo @ Feb. 14 2005,07:32) Alter yes, boil NO NO NO Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly
mais non. le cheezburger, eet ees for redneck
@#$&@ @&$^# )(*# @#&$# .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shrink a cashmere jumper ?