or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke suit, one or two pants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke suit, one or two pants?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
What do you folks advice, one or two? Would I regret it if I made one pants?
post #2 of 21
Thread Starter 
BTW, I am referring to Super 120s-130s fabric like EZ Trofeo, VBC Revenge or the like.
post #3 of 21
This seems to be the fifth post on this same subject in the last two days. Whasup? Someone having a sale on 2 with 1? Always get two. Tailors will hate you for it ... and me for saying it. Same goes for shirt collars & cuffs. Get extra ones. Now I can hate myself, too.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Getting 2 pants for a suit is understandable. But this is the first time I am hearing two collars/cuffs for shirts. How does that work, Alex?
post #5 of 21
2
post #6 of 21
You just order an extra set. Keep it in your shirt room until the first set wears out and then have them changed. Otherwise you stand a good chance of the matching fabric or matching dye lot no longer being available when refurbishing is needed. Does not, of course, apply to white. P.S.: If you don't have a shirt room, you can keep them in a drawer. But ... if you don't have a shirt room, why am I talking with you?
post #7 of 21
But surely the colours of the "old" shirt will have faded a bit through various launderings? Or does one do the same as one would with a suit and clean the extra set with the shirt? I would also recommend that when owning a second pair of trousers that you alternate your use of each pair. A purist would do so after each wearing, but b/c I'm lazy and keep my braces in my trousers, I alternate them on the first of each month.
post #8 of 21
Ego speaking: Old sh*t may fade. Old shirt won't.
post #9 of 21
Don't save the second trousers for when the first one wears out. You'll have a new, mint trouser with a coat that has some age or wear. It will not look good. The preferred practice is to keep the trousers together with the coat and to alternate the trousers. Arguments against buying a second trouser: 1) Unnecessary for very heavy cloths, such as the tweed thorn-proofs and above 16 oz. 2) Unnecessary if you have a large wardrobe of suits, let's say 15 for each season. You will not be wearing the suit often enough to wear-out the trousers. 3) Unnecessary if you want a change every few years. Cheers.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
You just order an extra set. Keep it in your shirt room until the first set wears out and then have them changed. Otherwise you stand a good chance of the matching fabric or matching dye lot no longer being available when refurbishing is needed. Does not, of course, apply to white. P.S.: If you don't have a shirt room, you can keep them in a drawer. But ... if you don't have a shirt room, why am I talking with you?
Hey, Alex did you see the Italian job, at the end when the guy is Spain looking at his shoe room? Is that what you are imagining? Jon.
post #11 of 21
I have never ordered a second pair of trousers, and in 13 years of buying bespoke clothes, I am still waiting for my first pair of trousers to give out on me.  I have a flannel suit that's getting close to 8 years old, and the trousers are beginning to get a little threadbare. But they are still wearable.  Flannel is supposed to be the most delicate of the traditional cloths.  I deliberately avoid the supers and crazy-soft-expensive fabrics, though.
post #12 of 21
Further arguments and evidence: Two clothing people that I respect referred me to their bespoke tailor. One has the two pairs of pants approach, and the other doesn't. The one who doesn't has never had a problem, and many of his clothes are 10+ years old. The two trouser guy intends on wearing his clothes to the grave, and hasn't bought anything in years. His stuff is 10-15+ years old. My own personal experience: I occasionally order the second pair. I haven't on heavy cloths, such as 16 oz. I haven't worn-out a pair of pants in about 20 years. When I did wear-out pants, I had a much smaller wardrobe, and I the quality was lesser. An extra pair of bespoke pants can run $1,000, therefore it isn't a trivial expense. As a general rule I would recommend it for the cloths weighing less than 12 oz. Cheers.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
I have never ordered a second pair of trousers, and in 13 years of buying bespoke clothes, I am still waiting for my first pair of trousers to give out on me.  I have a flannel suit that's getting close to 8 years old, and the trousers are beginning to get a little threadbare. But they are still wearable.  Flannel is supposed to be the most delicate of the traditional cloths.  I deliberately avoid the supers and crazy-soft-expensive fabrics, though.
Manton, you cought me. thinking of it, I actually have never had a bespoke pair of pants wear out, either. I have always ordered suits with 2 pair of pants, and rotated them, but thinking about it I do it because that is what I was told to do (more accuratly, my mother suggested that I look for suits that came with 2 pairs of pants in order to keep the suit longer, maybe 20 years ago).
post #14 of 21
Well, I may regret it when and if my flannel trousers give out. Or I can just keep wearing them anyway, like I wear shirts with frayed cuffs without giving a damn. Just like a real member of the English aristocracy.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Well, I may regret it when and if my flannel trousers give out.  Or I can just keep wearing them anyway, like I wear shirts with frayed cuffs without giving a damn.  Just like a real member of the English aristocracy.
I am waiting to redo the cuffs on my shirts, altough it may be years from now. I can't imagine how the body of my shirt will wear out, and I figure that my present shirts can get me to the grave if I recollar and cuff them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke suit, one or two pants?