or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best looking sofa ever (Polder Sofa)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best looking sofa ever (Polder Sofa) - Page 2

post #16 of 75
I was kidding. But seriously, when it comes to sofas, I find that the modern aesthetic does not lend well to comfort. This is odd because you can find many chairs that are perfectly reasonable when it comes to cushioning, ergonomics, etc. Strangely, however, most couches (excluding things like the Tutfy Time, etc.) do not. I was surprised by how uncomfortable that Living Divani couch was for instance. I don't want people getting comfortable at my house either but then again, I want to be comfortable when I sit on what I buy. Which then begs the question, where do you spend the most time when you're at home (and not in bed)?
post #17 of 75
In the kitchen, dining room or one of the two sort of lounge rooms we have (don't know what to call them). We don't use the living room all that much. It is big and on the other side of the house.
post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post

There's still a place in my heart for B&B Italia.

We have a huge vintage modular sofa from B&B Italia in the living room. I feel fortunate to have found it, because we could never afford anything comparable from the line today. It was purchased from the original owners, who still had the late '70s sales receipt; converted into current dollars, the price was well over $30,000! Needless to say, we didn't pay anything even close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
Strangely, however, most couches (excluding things like the Tuffy Time, etc.) do not.

Funny, I was about to mention that our B&B is actually quite comfortable when I saw your comment above. Tufty Time was actually based largely on the design of the 1972 sofa that we have, which is Camaleonda by Mario Bellini. If I were to buy a contemporary sofa, Tufty Time would definitely be a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
No TV so that won't work. I don't like this either. Any other Paulin sofa designs that you like?

Actually, I agree with Andre that Paulin's single-seater chairs are generally better than his sofa designs. If we're talking Artifort, then I feel that Harcourt's "Cleopatra" is nicer than any of the Paulin sofas, although it doesn't seem very practical, either:

post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by spertia View Post
We have a huge vintage modular sofa from B&B Italia in the living room. I feel fortunate to have found it, because we could never afford anything comparable from the line today. It was purchased from the original owners, who still had the late '70s sales receipt; converted into current dollars, the price was well over $30,000! Needless to say, we didn't pay anything even close to that.



Funny, I was about to mention that our B&B is actually quite comfortable when I saw your comment above. Tufty Time was actually based largely on the design of the 1972 sofa that we have, which is Camaleonda by Mario Bellini. If I were to buy a contemporary sofa, Tufty Time would definitely be a contender.



Actually, I agree with Andre that Paulin's single-seater chairs are generally better than his sofa designs. If we're talking Artifort, then I feel that Harcourt's "Cleopatra" is nicer than any of the Paulin sofas, although it doesn't seem very practical, either:


I like that. They may be more practical than they look. I would certainly take look.
post #20 of 75
I've always thought a weathered chesterfield sofa would look awesome in a modern apartment. I saw a guy do it once in Arch. Digest and the modern/vintage blend was pretty striking.

post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuacc View Post
Wish I had $10k to blow. Saw a green one on ebay about six months ago for $3k. Man I should have got the damn thing


http://hivemodern.com/products/?view...oduct&sid=1361

Ugly.
post #22 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
This time she is asking, so I have gotten somewhere.

I do like the Knoll design, but she does not - too cold. My guess is that she would have the same reaction to th eone iammatt posted, though I think it is great looking.

One thing to consider, and my viewpoint is pretty conservative on this, is that a sofa is a pretty big piece of furniture, so dialing down its design and colors is much safer than going overboard on them. Which is why I like things like the sofa Matt posted, or the Knoll, or any of the other minimalist-looking couches. I have a Cassina Nest, which is both good-looking and comfortable.

--Andre
post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew View Post
One thing to consider, and my viewpoint is pretty conservative on this, is that a sofa is a pretty big piece of furniture, so dialing down its design and colors is much safer than going overboard on them. Which is why I like things like the sofa Matt posted, or the Knoll, or any of the other minimalist-looking couches. I have a Cassina Nest, which is both good-looking and comfortable. --Andre
We tend to have empty rooms and rely on the few pieces of furniture to give some pop, rather than having an overall look. Our living room contains three paintings on the wall, a fireplace/mantle (with a painting sitting on it, it will eventually be hung)/ The Panton Amoeba chair and an art deco club chair in purple velvet. Add an unobtrusive floor lamp and chandelier and you have the entire inventory. While the room isn't huge, it has 12 foot ceilings, so anything meek will disappear. BTW, the Cassina nest would be perfect, though I think it would need to be a strong color.
post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
But seriously, when it comes to sofas, I find that the modern aesthetic does not lend well to comfort.

I dunno; our Florence Knoll sofa is extremely comfortable to us. It's tight proportions make it so that you don't have to lie back or be 300+ lbs. to sit and have back support.
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate10184 View Post
I've always thought a weathered chesterfield sofa would look awesome in a modern apartment. I saw a guy do it once in Arch. Digest and the modern/vintage blend was pretty striking.


I have a very similar pair of chairs and a sofa that were in the St. Francis Hotel in SF for decades. Best furniture purchase I ever made. Goes very well with my other more modern pieces.
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian View Post
I have a very similar pair of chairs and a sofa that were in the St. Francis Hotel in SF for decades. Best furniture purchase I ever made. Goes very well with my other more modern pieces.

Cool do you have pics?
post #27 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
It is actually terribly uncomfortable, but it looks good, and I don't want to encourage people to stay too long.

Haha. The funny thing is, I actually believe you when you say that.
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate10184 View Post
I've always thought a weathered chesterfield sofa would look awesome in a modern apartment. I saw a guy do it once in Arch. Digest and the modern/vintage blend was pretty striking.

I have always been tempted by the idea of either a Knoll or a Mies Barcelona in oxblood, to look like a "modern" Chesterfield. That said, I'd probably never do it...
post #29 of 75
A couple of 30s sofas, the top one converts to a bed: And mine, also 30s:
post #30 of 75
Like like Le Corbusier's. Togo is pretty fucking up there. B&B Italia Charles is a very nice design. I still like traditional Japanese decor. however
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best looking sofa ever (Polder Sofa)