or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a watch, suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a watch, suggestions? - Page 3

post #31 of 49
Quote:
I've been considering a new (for me) watch.  Given the prices of some of the used watches on ebay, it seems like one gets way more watch for the money with a used watch.  For example, there is a surprisingly large discrepancy between the price of used Omegas and new Omegas.  Used Rolex watches, for example, cost a significant percentage of the price of a new Rolex.  Is there a good reason for this?  Are there any big gotchas with older "vintage" watches?  Better yet, is there a good source of information such as a used watch buyer's guide that I could find?  I've browsed through timezone.com, but it was not particularly helpful as their focus is quite different than mine. dan
I imagine the discrepancy is caused by the fact that those in the used buying market -- generally those that cannot afford the price of a new good -- are not as well-informed about the quality of watches; therefore, they tend to focus on known names, of which Rolex is easily the most known.
post #32 of 49
Ok. 1. Rolex do make their OWN in house movements. 2. Would ebay be a good place to buy a watch? Yes/No. If it is Rolex, i would say watch out for fake ones. There are too many fake ones (pretty good ones) on Ebay. Real Rolex is very good watch (mech. movement) and it will last generations given proper care and maintainance. BTW, Breitling makes VERY fine watches ..hhhmmmm ... I think it is DA REAL MEN's watch
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Ok. 1. Rolex do make their OWN in house movements. 2. Would ebay be a good place to buy a watch? Yes/No. If it is Rolex, i would say watch out for fake ones. There are too many fake ones (pretty good ones) on Ebay. Real Rolex is very good watch (mech. movement) and it will last generations given proper care and maintainance. BTW, Breitling makes VERY fine watches ..hhhmmmm ... I think it is DA REAL MEN's watch
Seeing as I don't know what a fake man's watch is... But, yes Breitling's are very good sporting watches. Plus the nice thing about them is that few people know what they are (compared to Rolex or TAG Heuer). But, there are many other brands that are worth considering (this coming from a person who owns 4 Breitling's), it all depends how much money you want to spend. I have never purchased a watch over ebay, so I can't help you there.... Jon.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
I would suggest a Citizen Eco Drive Modena perpetual calendar chronograph. It never needs a battery, and never needs winding. It has dual time zone functions for traveling, a stopwatch/chronograph feature, is water-resistant to 200 meters, and the perpetual calendar means you never have to adjust the date.
That definitely looks like a nice watch to have without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to add this Glashütte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar to my collection.
Quote:
Well I'm definentally going to have to think about it, now that I've broken my supposed $350 budget.
This forum has that effect on people.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Quote:
I would suggest a Citizen Eco Drive Modena perpetual calendar chronograph. It never needs a battery, and never needs winding. It has dual time zone functions for traveling, a stopwatch/chronograph feature, is water-resistant to 200 meters, and the perpetual calendar means you never have to adjust the date.
That definitely looks like a nice watch to have without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to add this Glashütte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar to my collection.
Quote:
Well I'm definentally going to have to think about it, now that I've broken my supposed $350 budget.
This forum has that effect on people.
Very nice GO. That is a great buy. Is that the 18kt WG or SS version? Jon.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Very nice GO. That is a great buy. Is that the 18kt WG or SS version? Jon.
Thanks for the thumbs-up. I was considering the SS model. I believe it only comes in SS, YG, and Platinum (limited to 50 units).
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice GO. That is a great buy. Is that the 18kt WG or SS version? Jon.
Thanks for the thumbs-up. I was considering the SS model. I believe it only comes in SS, YG, and Platinum (limited to 50 units).
How much is the retail of the SS? Jon.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Quote:
Quote Very nice GO. That is a great buy. Is that the 18kt WG or SS version? Jon.
Thanks for the thumbs-up. I was considering the SS model. I believe it only comes in SS, YG, and Platinum (limited to 50 units).
How much is the retail of the SS? Jon.[/quote] I believe it's in the USD12K range, though I haven't actually visited a retailer yet.
post #39 of 49
Gentlemen, This has been one of the most informative threads I have read on this forum. The posts are excellent and the debates are even better. I am too in search for a new watch so this topic is perfect timing. I am currently wearing a GP Gyromatic from the 70's given to me by my dad. Where would I in the NYC find good prices for watches? I have been to the popular places but maybe someone here might know some other great places to stop by. I ain't looking for this year's models as I don't think paying the premium is worth it. What would be a good buy for something around $1k?? Thanks in Advance
post #40 of 49
Hitman - Get Breitlng. Real man's watch ..
post #41 of 49
Quote:
I am in the market for a new watch right now, I'm still in my teens and going to school so my price range is between 0-$350 or so. I have been looking around at various websites but I don't know which brands are quality for the dollar or not. I don't have much experience with brand names, I only know a few like Cartier, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega, and so on. I just need to diversify outside of this same crappy Eddie Bauer watch I've had since I was 13. Any help is appreciated.
Get a Glasshutte - style, class and can be vintage also.
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Get a Glasshutte - style, class and can be vintage also.
Glashutte's can't be found for $350. Even if vintage.
post #43 of 49
I'm going to resurrect an old thread because now I'm looking for watches also. Actually, I'm looking for a good mechanical movement. I could care less about brand names and the associated price premiums. As long as it keeps good time, it's fine. I could go quartz, but given my affinity for mechanics, I think I'd have more appreciation for a mechanical movement. Edit: Based upon an earlier recommendation in this thread, I'm eyeing a Tissot. Any other recommendations? I'm scrolling through eBay and checking all of the Omegas and Longines watches I can find.
post #44 of 49
Where could one find one of those Rolex Cellini's online? I really really like the looks of that watch.
post #45 of 49
Quote:
I'm going to resurrect an old thread because now I'm looking for watches also. Actually, I'm looking for a good mechanical movement. I could care less about brand names and the associated price premiums. As long as it keeps good time, it's fine. I could go quartz, but given my affinity for mechanics, I think I'd have more appreciation for a mechanical movement. Edit: Based upon an earlier recommendation in this thread, I'm eyeing a Tissot. Any other recommendations? I'm scrolling through eBay and checking all of the Omegas and Longines watches I can find.
IMHO, both vintage and new second-hand Omegas offer great values in mechanical watches.  The old Omega movements are superb workhorses, and the newer ones are slightly spiffed up versions of tried and true ETA movements. I like Omegas, they're a bit understated, and despite the fact that they are not exactly haute horology, they can stand in the company of anyone. You may also wish to consider a used, "late model" watch by IWC, a company which although not as sexy as Patek, etc., makes truly first rate watches both inside and out. Vintage Rolex Oysters, both bubble-back and semi-bubble back can still be had at good prices, although these appear to be getting more and more expensive by the day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a watch, suggestions?