or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a watch, suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a watch, suggestions? - Page 2

post #16 of 49
Quote:
Ok.  We talk a lot about suits construction, canavas vs fused.. In watch, its the same.  There is machanical movement watch and Quartz(battery powered) movement watch. Either way, 90%+ swiss movements (both machanical and Quartz movement are made from company named ETA).  Rolex is one of the rare watch makers that uses their own in-house designed movements.   If having a good quality swiss movement watch is important to you with affordable price then get Fossil.  Fossil is a branch company of OMEGA and uses movements made by ETA. You do not need to buy watches from fashion designer labels for higher price since the inside of watch are the same as FOSSIL.  But the casing design on some of the fashion watches are worth a money.
I had no idea that Fossil was owned by Omega and used swiss movements.
post #17 of 49
How about ESQ (Esquire)? It's owned by the same group that makes the Movado watches. To give you an idea of the price range, visit this Web site. (Disclaimer: never shopped there, so I can't vouch for it).
post #18 of 49
I would suggest a Citizen Eco Drive Modena perpetual calendar chronograph.  It never needs a battery, and never needs winding.  It has dual time zone functions for traveling, a stopwatch/chronograph feature, is water-resistant to 200 meters, and the perpetual calendar means you never have to adjust the date.   They come in stainless steel and titanium versions.   I own one, and like it a lot.   Keep an eye out on ebay.  I got my titanium model for less than $200.     http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....43&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....22&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....89&rd=1
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Ok. We talk a lot about suits construction, canavas vs fused.. In watch, its the same. There is machanical movement watch and Quartz(battery powered) movement watch. Either way, 90%+ swiss movements (both machanical and Quartz movement are made from company named ETA). Rolex is one of the rare watch makers that uses their own in-house designed movements. If having a good quality swiss movement watch is important to you with affordable price then get Fossil. Fossil is a branch company of OMEGA and uses movements made by ETA. You do not need to buy watches from fashion designer labels for higher price since the inside of watch are the same as FOSSIL. But the casing design on some of the fashion watches are worth a money.
Ok, for clarification: Rolex is not a "rare" watchmaker, regardless of the definition or usage of the word. Their watches are not rare, their overall production is over a million watches per year. Until' recently Rolex was purchasing their chronograph movement (for use in the Daytona) from Zenith. And even now that they have their own chronograph movement, they still purchase outside movements for the Tudor line of watches, i.e. the Tudor Chronograph uses a Valjoux 7750 (yes, I know: ETA). Rolex is also not rare in that the following companies, as well make some (or all) in-house movements: Jaeger LeCoultre Patek Philippe Zenith IWC A. Lange & Söhne Chopard Audemars Piguet Girard Perregaux Glashutte Original Members of the AHCI Blancpain (proprietary F. Piguet movements through Swatch, their parent company) Omega (proprietary ETA-based movements through Swatch, their parent company) Minerva Union Glashutte Daniel Roth & Gerald Genta (owned by the same company, share movements) (I'm sure there are some I missed, but I think the list pretty much gives you a good idea) Omega does not own Fossil, Fossil is an independent company. Swatch, however owns Omega (and Breguet, GO, Blancpain, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, etc...). As well, Swatch owns ETA (Valjoux), F. Piguet, Lemania (now Manufacture Breguet). Almost (like 99.9999%) all of the industry still buys the two most important (mechanical) watch parts from the Swatch group: main springs and balance springs. These are extremely difficult to manufacture in mass quantities whilst keeping a certain level of quality. Rolex has the capability to manufacture their own springs, but they purchase them from Swatch. So, in conclusion all hail Swatch. I mean... Yeah, that's what I mean... Jon. P.S. Although swatch might make the base ETA automatic movements, many watch companies use a Kelek manufactured module to convert the automatic movements into chronograph movements (since it is cheaper than an integral chronograph movement). Kelek is owned by Breitling.
post #20 of 49
when I said rare .. it did not mean that the rolex watches are rare. I ment Rolex company is one of the rare company who uses their own movement. Also .. yeah .. Fossil is no relation with omega at all .. My bad. It is TISSOT. I am always confused with these two. (I have confirm with this when I was buying my watch..)
post #21 of 49
I've been considering a new (for me) watch.  Given the prices of some of the used watches on ebay, it seems like one gets way more watch for the money with a used watch.  For example, there is a surprisingly large discrepancy between the price of used Omegas and new Omegas.  Used Rolex watches, for example, cost a significant percentage of the price of a new Rolex.  Is there a good reason for this?  Are there any big gotchas with older "vintage" watches?  Better yet, is there a good source of information such as a used watch buyer's guide that I could find?  I've browsed through timezone.com, but it was not particularly helpful as their focus is quite different than mine. dan
post #22 of 49
Quote:
I've been considering a new (for me) watch.  Given the prices of some of the used watches on ebay, it seems like one gets way more watch for the money with a used watch.  For example, there is a surprisingly large discrepancy between the price of used Omegas and new Omegas.  Used Rolex watches, for example, cost a significant percentage of the price of a new Rolex.  Is there a good reason for this?  Are there any big gotchas with older "vintage" watches?  Better yet, is there a good source of information such as a used watch buyer's guide that I could find?  I've browsed through timezone.com, but it was not particularly helpful as their focus is quite different than mine. dan
Rolexes hold their value due to the name. I believe Patek also does well in the long run, as does Lange. Ebay is definitely the place for watches. You can get especially good deals on used mid-range watches. For the price of a new Cyma or Tissot, you can get a used Omega, LeCoultre, Zenith, or Baume et Mercier. For the price of a new Yurman, you can find a used (nice) JLC, or GP.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
when I said rare .. it did not mean that the rolex watches are rare.  I ment Rolex company is one of the rare company who uses their own movement.
Rolex do not make their movements. They use ETA movements that they then modify. Which is the case for most watch manufactuers. They all utilize a standard ebauche. Phillip Dufour is one of the rarified few who creates everything by hand. Including the tang buckles. But then a single Simplicity which is just a regular watch with seconds with an alligator strap costs $40,000+, and there is also a waiting list. Similar in concept to Hermes Birkins.
post #24 of 49
Thread Starter 
Wow a lot of replies already. Thanks for your help guys, so far I'm thinking I'm interested in a Kenneth Cole or Swiss Army, after looking through their products. I do like that Omega on ebay, though I have never worn a watch with a leather strap (yes I know it's odd) and if I was to get one I'd probably want a black strap. But I'll keep an eye on Ebay for a while. Oh, I also saw some watches on Overstock.com for very low prices, any experience there?
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Rolex do not make their movements. They use ETA movements that they then modify
ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Rolex has been manufacturing its own movement since the early 20's. The only exception was the chronograph mvt, first bought some Valjoux 22, then El Primero. But Since 2000 even the Chronograph is in house. The production of Chronograph has always been a problem for many manufactures in the industry starting with Patek. Rolex has been manufacturing every component of its movement except the Nivarox hairspring. The tudor line has been using often ETA ebauches.
Quote:
Phillip Dufour....Similar in concept to Hermes Birkins.
Knowing Philippe for many years, I really cannot see the connection between a watch which has its bridges chamfered manually to a bag created for some franco-British singer which is popular due to some marketing gimmick. William Massena
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Wow a lot of replies already. Thanks for your help guys, so far I'm thinking I'm interested in a Kenneth Cole or Swiss Army, after looking through their products. I do like that Omega on ebay, though I have never worn a watch with a leather strap (yes I know it's odd) and if I was to get one I'd probably want a black strap. But I'll keep an eye on Ebay for a while. Oh, I also saw some watches on Overstock.com for very low prices, any experience there?
They do have some good prices on Overstock. However, a while back, they knowingly sold fake Tiffanys pendands. I don't know if I would buy from them after that.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Rolex has been manufacturing its own movement since the early 20's. The only exception was the chronograph mvt, first bought some Valjoux 22, then El Primero. But Since 2000 even the Chronograph is in house. The production of Chronograph has always been a problem for many manufactures in the industry starting with Patek. Rolex has been manufacturing every component of its movement except the Nivarox hairspring. The tudor line has been using often ETA ebauches.
I suppose I have been mistaken a bit. But still most of the modern makers all utilize a standard ebauche that is then modified.
Quote:
Knowing Philippe for many years, I really cannot see the connection between a watch which has its bridges chamfered manually to a bag created for some franco-British singer which is popular due to some marketing gimmick.
I wouldn't say that. The Hermes Birkin takes some 18+ hours to assemble. Which is the equivalent of a BMW.
post #28 of 49
What about the Omega Bond watch, paid over 2-3 months? An investment piece, perhaps-- but a good one, that might be an option for you, they are reasonably priced online. http://store.yahoo.com/buyjewels-dir...amprof251.html
post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
Foxx I like that watch a lot, it is a bit expensive. There are actually many watches on that website that I like, there is one ( http://store.yahoo.com/buyjewels-direct/2322.html ) that is on sale that I like (but there are many more). I like how there isn't much color just the clean look of the stainless steel. Well I'm definentally going to have to think about it, now that I've broken my supposed $350 budget.
post #30 of 49
I thought this is a pretty casual nice watch to have: I have a watch from Alfred Dunhill that looks very similar in shape, but it has a dark brown crocodile strap instead. I find leather strap watches quite versatile--they are suitable when you're dressed up and when you're in jeans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a watch, suggestions?