• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is where we talk about J.Crew F/W 08, because there have been a number of decent pieces, haters be damned in here...

Now keep in mind pretty much everything in here will be known as overpriced, and everyone will obv kop @ sale or at some sort of discount...

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9605/99605.jsp
Heavyweight fleece funnelneck

This piece looks pretty nice as a full cardigan sort of thing, definitely could be a nice layering piece... If it fits okay, I intend on picking it up

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp
Sutherland Herringbone Topcoat

This piece, the herringbone looks real nice, I could see myself wearing this to work, or when i'm dressed up a bit such as going out to dinner or something... Once again if it fits, it could work.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...7092/97092.jsp
Waxed Canvas Duck Boots

If you are not in the mood for those LL Bean Jawns, and you want a good rip off, these could be it... I like the color a bit more on these than the LL Bean Jawns...

Also some of the redwing collab shoes look pretty good

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh, good thread.

J.Crew's sweatshirt/fleece stuff is very nice this year. I already have some of the shawl neck pullovers and they're very comfy. The shirts are very good this season too, especially the flannels.

British Millerain oilcloth field jacket http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6051/96051.jsp

It's a very good value if you don't want to pony up for a Barbour or Belstaff waxed jacket. It's very heavy and is lined in a plaid fabric just like it's British counterparts. My only complaint with it though, is that they used velcro on the cuffs for tightening them up (should be buttons imo).

Sellwood rain slicker http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8419/98419.jsp

Wait for a coupon or sale to get this if you want it. It's a very fun jacket for a rainy weekend morning out. I found it's on the slim side for me.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I managed to hit up my local J Crew during a sale and picked up a few really nice pieces. I got one of their sherpa lined hoodies (which is warm as **** for what it is, and seriously comfortable), a few heavy suede l/s tees (like $4.99... really solid). I have a $70 gift certificate to spend, and I'm thinking about picking up some sort of shawl neck/funnel neck cardigan. I'm really unhappy with their winter outerwear though. I tried on the waxed jacket and the university jacket, and both had terrible, boxy fits, and didn't really seem particularly well made. As much as I love J Crew, I think as fall as mall stores go, Rugby is killing it with a few AMAZING pieces... stuff that I actually bought at full retail because I was so impressed. This shirt in particular: crazy nice http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?...goryId=3138886

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Their F/W is very good this year. I copped the shawl merino sweater and it's awesome. I also grabbed a few XS buttondowns from there website and they look/fit very nice, have good patterns and are well made.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
How big is the shawl on the shawl merino? I don't like a ***** shawl collar - I like a gigantic, oversized crest. I got two of their merino sweaters and I love the fit (although it could be slightly slimmer, its still better than anything else you can find for $9.99 on sale).

RyanM

Reaction score
i started a thread asking about the herringbone sutherland here

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I think fleece would be too floppy as a fabric for a field jacket

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, but I would say it is too cold for it already... esp in new jersey

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool that's what I wanted to know. I just need something that'll hold up in 40 degree Texas weather.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
British Millerain oilcloth field jacket http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6051/96051.jsp

It's a very good value if you don't want to pony up for a Barbour or Belstaff waxed jacket. It's very heavy and is lined in a plaid fabric just like it's British counterparts. My only complaint with it though, is that they used velcro on the cuffs for tightening them up (should be buttons imo).

Really liked this jacket in person, but I had the same complaint about the velcro used on the cuffs. If I bought this, I'd consider having a tailor replace the velcro with a button & buttonhole.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Just got a heather gray henley from JCrew's online store on sale. It's made of Duofold cotton which I guess is some kind of fancy very warm kind of thermal weave cotton and it's particularly soft and nice and I kind of wish they had the other color (navy) in size small because this is a base layer I don't really want to take off. Someone who fits a J Crew medium should grab the last one off the site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads