or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ironing Board
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ironing Board - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltboy75 View Post
I am having the same problem with the grill showing up under the pad. I have changed the pad frequently. Problem is it left a grill mark on a brand new mtm shirt!!!

Any suggestions???


Maybe you can convert this to a grill and use for grilling steak and barbecue. Should have a nice grill mark on your ribeye steak too.
post #17 of 31
I have a "nicer" ironing board. It seems to be a bit taller than the cheap boards and is much wider and more stable as well. It has a nice little shelf that folds out under the board when you deploy it where I stick my "to be ironed pile". It also has an elevated cord keeper which looks a bit like an antenna and keeps the cord from getting in your way. It also has its own outlet and power cord so you plug the iron into the board as opposed to the wall. This is nice as you can put the board just about anywhere and not have to deal with extension cords while ironing.

I think I paid about 70 euros for it at Auchan, which is a french mega mart. I will try to dig up a photo if I can as I have been very happy with it.

Oh, it also has little wheels on it so you can wheel the board around when it is folded but it isn't nearly heavy enough to really merit them.
post #18 of 31
Are most ironing boards these days made out of expanded metal that gives that grill look when the pad is wore down? I am looking for something like my sleeve board, that is a wood base. I tried ironing an entire shirt on the sleeve board. It looked great but took twice the time.
post #19 of 31
You might be able to use a big sheet of cardboard (like a bicycle or appliance box) or some thin plywood and make a support to go under the pad to block the grill shape. The other option could be, instead of discarding an old pad, just put the new one over top of it. It may be less prone to countouring to the metal table that way. I used to have the same problem, but found a board with a solid table when dumpster diving one day.
post #20 of 31
I picked up an old-skool wooden ironing board at the Goodwill for about five bucks. (I still see them occasionally.)

It's a little lower than the standard, but it seems a lot more solid than the krap that you get from the usual stores these days.

It has a solid top (wood, of course), so no gridwork telegraphing through the pad for me.

I like it.

cheers

joe
post #21 of 31
I realize this is an old thread, but I recently got to see a consumer (or prosumer, maybe) vacuum ironing board in action, and it was a blast. It looks like a regular, well-built ironing board, except it's got: 1) a big beating element that runs under the surface that's always on; and 2) a powerful fan that sucks air through the surface that's activated by a foot pedal. The idea is to mitigate the problems with using steam when ironing. The heating element keeps the surface dry and it helps to dry out the steam. The vacuum is used after ironing one section; it actually cools the surface and pulls the steam out of the shirt. The idea is to keep everything dry when using steam and it works, exceptionally well. IIRC they go for about $400 or so, not a terrible investment considering how much high-end dress shirts cost. Something like this: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...ironing-board/
post #22 of 31
Vintage wooden board for me.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I recently got to see a consumer (or prosumer, maybe) vacuum ironing board in action, and it was a blast.

It looks like a regular, well-built ironing board, except it's got:

1) a big beating element that runs under the surface that's always on; and

2) a powerful fan that sucks air through the surface that's activated by a foot pedal.

The idea is to mitigate the problems with using steam when ironing. The heating element keeps the surface dry and it helps to dry out the steam. The vacuum is used after ironing one section; it actually cools the surface and pulls the steam out of the shirt.

The idea is to keep everything dry when using steam and it works, exceptionally well.

IIRC they go for about $400 or so, not a terrible investment considering how much high-end dress shirts cost.

Something like this: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...ironing-board/

Interesting, Its my understanding that this type of setup is what professionals use, correct?

It would make pressing flannel a lot quicker.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless_bum View Post
You might be able to use a big sheet of cardboard (like a bicycle or appliance box) or some thin plywood and make a support to go under the pad to block the grill shape. The other option could be, instead of discarding an old pad, just put the new one over top of it. It may be less prone to countouring to the metal table that way.

I used to have the same problem, but found a board with a solid table when dumpster diving one day.

Thanks for the advice, it is working like a charm. Of course I had to buy a 37" LCD TV for the bedroom to get the right size piece of cardboard.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
Vintage wooden board for me.

I just replaced mine with a cheap as chips wooden board from K-Mart. Works a treat an no fear of dreaded cross hatchings on my shirts
post #26 of 31
Any thoughts on this design? Too gimicky, or a great idea?



Revolution 360â„¢ Ironing Board


This revolutionary ironing board not only looks great with its contemporary design, it will provide you with fast, professional results from the comfort of your own home. The Revolution 360â„¢ ironing board features a rotating body board for faster, professional results, two-sided full rotating ironing surface, and an ergonomic design that models the human torso with one flat and one contoured side helping to keep shirts taut during ironing. Its special features will help you create exact creases in slacks and collars, cuffs and pockets with precision. Self-standing. Measures 45" W x 36" L. Limited lifetime warranty. Model # 4730001.

The not to be missed promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOqwZxESOI
post #27 of 31
Brabantia:

http://www.kitchensource.com/ironing.../baironing.htm

We used to live in Holland, and this was the go-to brand, they are expensive, but excellent quality.
post #28 of 31
Does anybody know where to find an ironing board with a sleeve board? Or where to find a sleeve board other than on Amazon?
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
Does anybody know where to find an ironing board with a sleeve board? Or where to find a sleeve board other than on Amazon?

I bought one at a large fabric & notions store. I think I could have purchased it for less off of Amazon, but then I wouldn't have been supporting a local business.
post #30 of 31
I use a reliable i500 for my iron, you can buy it + an vaccum ironing board for about 1.2k$ doesn't have a sleeve board but makes ironing very simple and my shirts come out perfectly.

before i bought a board i used a wooden coffee table and put a thick towel draped over it...worked perfectly fine. lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ironing Board