or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata - Page 540

post #8086 of 8386
We were joking about the over saturation jumps from chair to chair and it runs almost simultaneously with lounge chairs. Over the last 10-15 years its been 7, Gubi, Eames shell, CH24, Aboutachair and Swan, Egg, Corona, Ox, Stingray, Teddybear, Haywire.

Oddly enough kitchens haven't changed in that period.
post #8087 of 8386
It doesn't bother me when they become somewhat 'common' but it does annoy me when the knockoffs and look-alikes are everywhere. I paid for the real thing only to have people ask me if it's some junk from XYZ store that sells copy-type designs.
post #8088 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

It doesn't bother me when they become somewhat 'common' but it does annoy me when the knockoffs and look-alikes are everywhere. I paid for the real thing only to have people ask me if it's some junk from XYZ store that sells copy-type designs.



I get why it bothers you, but at the same time, but at the same time people used to compliment me on a suit and ask if I got it at Men's Wearhouse or something like that.

post #8089 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

It doesn't bother me when they become somewhat 'common' but it does annoy me when the knockoffs and look-alikes are everywhere. I paid for the real thing only to have people ask me if it's some junk from XYZ store that sells copy-type designs.

That wasn't/isn't the issue here. The issue was the market getting flooded like New Orleans with certain designs.

In the periods x design is in vogue, you can't open a magazine or walk into a restaurant without them being there.
post #8090 of 8386
I understand, but honestly the market is hardly flooded with originals from my perspective. It's peppered with originals and flooded with junk that looks like them.
post #8091 of 8386
The US and the scandinavian markets are completely different worlds.
post #8092 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post

Looking for a sofa similar to Divani's Neowall, but more accessible (both pricepoint and US availability). Any suggestions?


We have a Fritz Hansen Alphabet by Piero Lissoni that is similar to this. It is quite nice when it comes to comfort and the selection of fabrics was great. Not sure about US pricing, but ours was not much more expensive than a Bo concept of similar size, but with much better materials and fabrics.

Sat in a Hay Mags the other day, and found it a bit disappoiting and a tad too low.

One of my fave sofas at the moment is the Muuto rest, nice selection of Kvadrat fabrics, and at a pretty good price. Not the same style as you were asking for though. But probably the one I would buy if I were to buy a sofa today.
Edited by 660 - 8/31/16 at 2:09pm
post #8093 of 8386
Looking to buy one or two lounge chairs in the near future. Not sure what to get though. No knock-off Eames lougers or La Z boys obviously.

Been lusting for a Bertoia Bird chair and a Bruno Mathsson Jetson







But I can't make my mind up and would like some suggestions for comfortable, yet stylish lougers.
post #8094 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

We were joking about the over saturation jumps from chair to chair and it runs almost simultaneously with lounge chairs. Over the last 10-15 years its been 7, Gubi, Eames shell, CH24, Aboutachair and Swan, Egg, Corona, Ox, Stingray, Teddybear, Haywire.

Oddly enough kitchens haven't changed in that period.

Soon to be the Piobchaire.
post #8095 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Soon to be the Piobchaire.

I take two in genuine leatherette , with double cupholders.
post #8096 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660 View Post

Been lusting for a Bertoia Bird chair and a Bruno Mathsson Jetson

Just realized my grandparents have this chair, though significantly more worn down (they must have had it for atleast 20 years, probably longer)

Since it's been there for as long as I can remember, I don't think I've even registered until this moment what a beauty it is :wow:

 

How hard/costly would it be to have something like this "restored"? I'm thinking a new layer of leather and polishing the metal all shiny and pretty again

 

Tried googling Bruno Mathsson and realized that the other two chairs in their living room also are Bruno Mathsson, the Karin model :teach:

 

post #8097 of 8386
Call a local saddle maker, it really depends on how worn down it is now and the quality you want it to be in. It can be anything from $1000 to $5000.
post #8098 of 8386
Dux that manufactures the jetson 69 model sells replacements kits for the leather parts. The cost for a complete set is close to what you pay for a new chair though.
post #8099 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660 View Post

We have a Fritz Hansen Alphabet by Piero Lissoni that is similar to this. It is quite nice when it comes to comfort and the selection of fabrics was great. Not sure about US pricing, but ours was not much more expensive than a Bo concept of similar size, but with much better materials and fabrics.

Sat in a Hay Mags the other day, and found it a bit disappoiting and a tad too low.

One of my fave sofas at the moment is the Muuto rest, nice selection of Kvadrat fabrics, and at a pretty good price. Not the same style as you were asking for though. But probably the one I would buy if I were to buy a sofa today.

I like the Alphabet (and most things Hansen/Lissoni). They appear to be a bit more than I have in mind. I like the Muuto Rest you mentioned. Not a fan of the legs but I like the overstuffed/unstructured cushion design.

Looking at the Hay Mags more online I don't like the stitching, but have yet to see it in person. What did you find disappointing about it (I'm guessing materials, comfort)?
post #8100 of 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post

I like the Alphabet (and most things Hansen/Lissoni). They appear to be a bit more than I have in mind. I like the Muuto Rest you mentioned. Not a fan of the legs but I like the overstuffed/unstructured cushion design.

Looking at the Hay Mags more online I don't like the stitching, but have yet to see it in person. What did you find disappointing about it (I'm guessing materials, comfort)?

Found it a bit too soft for such a low sofa, was expecting a bit firmer construction. Not sure, maybe it is just me getting a bit old for such a low sofa.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata