or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata - Page 499

post #7471 of 8384
Looking for a round stool. Sometimes, the classics--no matter how ubiquitous or cliched--just can't be beat.



973257_1_l.jpg
post #7472 of 8384
Mater
post #7473 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Looking for a round stool. Sometimes, the classics--no matter how ubiquitous or cliched--just can't be beat.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


973257_1_l.jpg

I think it's too limiting to keep yourself from getting something you like just because it might be seen as ubiquitous or cliched. Especially if that burn out comes from seeing the item on-line or in magazines (easy solution for that). It's of course different if you encounter the item in question in your daily life (job/social circle) so much that you're already tired of it.

As for the stools, I like the look of both of them, but I would still kinda like to get this one, that you may remember I posted about 3 years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

First time I've wanted the Aalto stool

52238_11.jpg

Silkscreen print w/ 80 rings to celebrate the chair's 80 year anniversary. By Nao Tamura.

Also, speaking of potentially ubiquitous or cliched, when you asked about floor lamps, my mind went to this one, which is definitely ubiquitous in some circles over here, but that won't keep me from getting one when the need arises:

post #7474 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

I think it's too limiting to keep yourself from getting something you like just because it might be seen as ubiquitous or cliched. Especially if that burn out comes from seeing the item on-line or in magazines (easy solution for that). It's of course different if you encounter the item in question in your daily life (job/social circle) so much that you're already tired of it.

As for the stools, I like the look of both of them, but I would still kinda like to get this one, that you may remember I posted about 3 years ago:
Also, speaking of potentially ubiquitous or cliched, when you asked about floor lamps, my mind went to this one, which is definitely ubiquitous in some circles over here, but that won't keep me from getting one when the need arises:


Oh yeah, I have no issue with ubiquity. In fact, I think it can very much be an asset. I just know it is an issue for many.

That floor lamp is very nice, and a classic of course, but we needed something less directional.
post #7475 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Mater

The one with the top that curves into the legs? Not the biggest fan.
post #7476 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

That Barcalounger is sweet. Wish I had seen those first!

Don't sweat it bro. You did better with your dorky Piochair. I'd still have spent the extra cash for the Big Repo if you could have afforded it.
post #7477 of 8384
i vaguely recall sitting in a grand repos at DWR... need to try it again to see if it is as good as stressless. certainly willing to pay a couple thousand more for its superior looks if the comfort is equivalent.
post #7478 of 8384
Early 19th century Chinese;



These stools look quite simple but are actually fairly complicated.
post #7479 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppllzz View Post

i vaguely recall sitting in a grand repos at DWR... need to try it again to see if it is as good as stressless. certainly willing to pay a couple thousand more for its superior looks if the comfort is equivalent.

nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Don't sweat it bro. You did better with your dorky Piochair. I'd still have spent the extra cash for the Big Repo if you could have afforded it.

It's not always a question of "afforded it." Same reason I drive a Mercedes GL450 vs. GL550.
post #7480 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


nod[1].gif
It's not always a question of "afforded it." Same reason I drive a Mercedes GL450 vs. GL550.

 

You hate street cred on interwebs forums?

post #7481 of 8384
Form follows Function seems to have applied to many lasting historical designs down to the most excruciating detail, especially when considering available materials and man hours. It applies very well to common everyday type work which needed to balance durability and economy.

For instance when you have rice glue or hide glue to work with table leg or chair leg joinery looks a whole lot different than it does with modern glues.

Take an example such as the 18th century shaker trestle table, and it is nearly an ideal divergance of economy of time and material and the quality and durability of the end product.

These historical items also tend to fit in nicely with modernist works, in many instances.
post #7482 of 8384
What about a thonet 808? Seems piob friendly (the upholstery is also not fully taught, but also not entirely relaxed, that seemed to be an important criticism of his chair).


post #7483 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It's not always a question of "afforded it." Same reason I drive a Mercedes GL450 vs. GL550.

Would you have paid that much for your car if it didn't have that fancy brand name on it? Or if it wasn't associated with a certain degree of luxury/cachet/whatever? I could buy a better Lexus for less! It might be more comfortable too.

Not trying to be an egregious dick here, but the arguments you deploy(ed) earlier can just as easily be redirected against XYZ aspect of your or anyone's life.

Most of us here are of limited means, and we allocate these limited resources on luxuries depending on our proclivities and how much quality/BS ratio we can stomach.

The same way you laugh at capital F and D Furniture Design and say it is pretentious/overpriced, I could imagine say Fuuma (IDK, just using an example) laughing at you and saying your choice in cars implies pretension/douchebaggery too.

Thing is though - this isn't the Cool Cars and Desiderata thread. crazy.gif
post #7484 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Would you have paid that much for your car if it didn't have that fancy brand name on it? Or if it wasn't associated with a certain degree of luxury/cachet/whatever? I could buy a better Lexus for less! It might be more comfortable too.

Not trying to be an egregious dick here, but the arguments you deploy(ed) earlier can just as easily be redirected against XYZ aspect of your or anyone's life.

Most of us here are of limited means, and we allocate these limited resources on luxuries depending on our proclivities and how much quality/BS ratio we can stomach.

The same way you laugh at capital F and D Furniture Design and say it is pretentious/overpriced, I could imagine say Fuuma (IDK, just using an example) laughing at you and saying your choice in cars implies pretension/douchebaggery too.

Thing is though - this isn't the Cool Cars and Desiderata thread. crazy.gif

The luxury SUV segment as a whole is indictable.
post #7485 of 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Would you have paid that much for your car if it didn't have that fancy brand name on it? Or if it wasn't associated with a certain degree of luxury/cachet/whatever? I could buy a better Lexus for less! It might be more comfortable too.

Thing is I crossed shopped all the way down to a Ford Explorer, and if I could have gotten the Explorer at the price I wanted, I might well have ended up with it but the delta was too small to make it worth driving vs. the one I picked (in my estimation.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Not trying to be an egregious dick here, but the arguments you deploy(ed) earlier can just as easily be redirected against XYZ aspect of your or anyone's life.

Most of us here are of limited means, and we allocate these limited resources on luxuries depending on our proclivities and how much quality/BS ratio we can stomach.

The same way you laugh at capital F and D Furniture Design and say it is pretentious/overpriced, I could imagine say Fuuma (IDK, just using an example) laughing at you and saying your choice in cars implies pretension/douchebaggery too.

Thing is though - this isn't the Cool Cars and Desiderata thread. crazy.gif

Again, I'm being misrepresented. I've never laughed at the furniture; you must be confusing me with someone else. I also never claimed or implied anything about pretention either. I merely said I believe there is a premium to have a known name attached to a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The luxury SUV segment as a whole is indictable.

This, of course, is the proper answer.

Everyone keeps bemoaning this conversation is ongoing yet everyone keeps posting to me. Is it my part to let everyone take their final stab at me and not reply to anyone? confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata