or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata - Page 116

post #1726 of 3754

Just looking at the Inch chair makes me tip over. Where are you supposed to sit?

 

lefty

post #1727 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'd probably say that MCM doesn't have a monopoly on natural wood and fabrics, and there is some influence, but it isn't inappropriate.

Matt's comment is accurate. Compare the bedford with Jean Prouve:



The first chair Finn posted compared to the Eames organic and wegner shell.





Compare the hudson sofa to the Goetz.



Which is honestly just a mid century tuxedo sofa.
post #1728 of 3754
I'll give on some of them, but the Desiron has very different angles, but shares the arm styling as derivative. I suppose if you want to say that all suits are the same because they all have notch lapels, then they are completely derivative, but fundamentally an arm chair is going to have only so many forms.
post #1729 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Just looking at the Inch chair makes me tip over. Where are you supposed to sit?

lefty

Haven't tried it, but my guess would be in the middle and on your ass.



http://www.versus.as/products/basset.html

(it was called snoopy before, but it was changed for some reason. rolleyes.gif )



post #1730 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'll give on some of them, but the Desiron has very different angles, but shares the arm styling as derivative. I suppose if you want to say that all suits are the same because they all have notch lapels, then they are completely derivative, but fundamentally an arm chair is going to have only so many forms.

Not really attempting to start an argument, but yes, they are derivative of these the same way that current suits are derivative of previous suits. They play on styling of the era in much of the same way.
post #1731 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Not really attempting to start an argument, but yes, they are derivative of these the same way that current suits are derivative of previous suits. They play on styling of the era in much of the same way.

This is, I think, a perfect reimagining of the Eames chair.




The link and inspiration is not hidden at all, but the materials and construction are not only completely updated, their updates reflect an updating on the newest technology the Eames used. The visual weight and customization are also changed to give a totally different aspect to a now classic design.

It is also not very comfortable, which is kind of problematic.
post #1732 of 3754
Nice find, those are strikingly similar to a lot of the prototypes that lead up to the Eames Lounge.

Eames-Prototype.jpg
post #1733 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Nice find, those are strikingly similar to a lot of the prototypes that lead up to the Eames Lounge.

Eames-Prototype.jpg

Exactly, but technology did not allow them to be truly simple or organic, or to mass produce in a serious way, all of which were goals of mid-century design, and the compromises to each goal are what define the actual products of that era. The Bouroullec chair is interesting because it revisits those goals in a familiar form using a totally different palate, as opposed to using the same palate and maybe a square where there was a round etc. It is the sort of derivation that the Eames would welcome.

Not that akatsuki wants an Eames derivative, but the ones above were just sad modifications in my eyes.
post #1734 of 3754
Certainly, continuing the process in the same way that the eames were. In fact if I am not mistaken that was the reason why the eames organic chair was not mass produced for so many years after the form was created.
post #1735 of 3754
So if we are laying out what a truly modern design is, a prerequisite would be that the material would have to be something truly innovative like carbon fiber?





post #1736 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I know I started another thread on this, but this is probably the better place to ask. I want to get something besides the ubiquitous Eames lounge chair (and/or Womb or whatever). Something under $7K, designed in the last 10 years, and statement but not flashy. Any recs along those lines?

And who makes the sling chairs in this Roman and Williams pic (that has been posted in this thread at least 3 times already)?

What about Simon Pengellys OC chair?
post #1737 of 3754
Modern in the context of furniture usually refers to an era, so in your search if you are asking about modern designs you may be confused when someone shows you Bauhaus or mid century when you are looking for contemporary.

If I may barrow Stephen's concept of honesty in design, the 'bridge' chair strikes me as being a bit of a gimmick, instead of an honest use of new material to solve an old problem. Using the new material in a way that it provides a benefit over the old material would be a good start. In terms of the lounge that Matt posted, the new material is providing a form that was not possible out of the upholstery and molded plywood of the time when eames was creating prototypes that eventually became the eames lounge.

They began solving the problem of more complicated shapes with fiberglass and then finally plastics once they were up to par.
post #1738 of 3754
One comment. You seem to enjoy MCM and some things that are attempting to look like MCM, so why are you letting trend prevent you from what you enjoy? We all risk being dated or no longer stylish at some point. If arts and crafts became the popular choice would you trash all of your MCM furniture and start buying Stickley?
post #1739 of 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

One comment. You seem to enjoy MCM and some things that are attempting to look like MCM, so why are you letting trend prevent you from what you enjoy? We all risk being dated or no longer stylish at some point. If arts and crafts became the popular choice would you trash all of your MCM furniture and start buying Stickley?

It isn't so much that I am fully enamored with MCM that I am less knowledgeable about the other options, hence the question...

I'll agree that the Bridge chair was a gimmick in that it could have been made out of any other material - it isn't an "honest" purpose to using CF. Some of the other modern CF chairs couldn't be because of their structural problems.
post #1740 of 3754
Let me add that I don't think that innovative use of new material is 'required' for something to be new and interesting but it is one worthwhile approach. I would certainly like to see you avoid something gimmicky and there is nothing interesting to me about a piece of contemporary furniture that looks like an almost exact copy of a Krefeld sofa.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata