or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata - Page 73

post #1081 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post

I don't agree with the Rolex argument, since there are many watches that copy the design of a Rolex, with the exception of the name on the face, that would not be considered fakes or knock-offs. And whether you buy an authentic or knock-off Eames chair, someone will be profiting off of someone else's creative efforts, since both Charles and Ray have passed.

Also, you don't usually buy a rolex knockoff because the knockoff comes in a metal/color that rolex itself doesn't make or because the knockoff is higher quality. Rolex knockoffs are almost allways made to a significantly lower standard with cheaper materials.

Some of those knockoff chairs/sofas are better made than the originals and/or come in finishes that you can't get in the authentic model. Sure there are plenty of people who buy a shitty knockoff Barcelona chair so they can look like a baller...but I don't have any really qualms about buying quality reproductions of furniture designed by long dead designers. I'd probably be buying it all used anyways so its not like the original estate is getting anything out of the sale either way (and if I find it in a thrift store, I *really* don't care as long as it looks good and is still in solid physical condition).
post #1082 of 4068
Except that in the case of both the Eames lounge and the Barcelona chairs the pieces are still made by the manufacturer that was originally chosen to manufacture the pieces to begin with. If nothing else an authentic peice will be worth much more in the future than a knock-off.

I love the wonderful rationalisations for ripping off people's work, I'm certain you guys would feel differently if someone was selling your work for cheap.
post #1083 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Except that in the case of both the Eames lounge and the Barcelona chairs the pieces are still made by the manufacturer that was originally chosen to manufacture the pieces to begin with. If nothing else an authentic peice will be worth much more in the future than a knock-off.
I love the wonderful rationalisations for ripping off people's work, I'm certain you guys would feel differently if someone was selling your work for cheap.

I'm not rationalizing anything, and for some people it is more about having something nice to look at and live with that brightens their life that they otherwise couldn't afford, than having a piece as an investment. I can say as a designer (architect) that after I'm dead, I'd rather someone enjoy something I designed in a more affordable form than not at all.
post #1084 of 4068
I have no real argument here because I basically agree with SkinnyGoomba, despite being the purchaser of an Eames reproduction. Right now, I wanted the Eames chair for our living room but I'm not entirely sure how it will look or if it will be a piece of furniture I intend to keep for a long length of time. If the chair becomes part of our permanent furniture collection then you can bet that I will be looking to replace it with an original, possibly vintage version when the funds allow.

I'd also like to say that there is a difference between companies passing off fakes as the real thing (and consumers doing the same) compared to a company acknowledging that it is a reproduction and building the piece sort of as an homage to the real thing (which many well respected watch makers do with Rolexes).
post #1085 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

I have no real argument here because I basically agree with SkinnyGoomba, despite being the purchaser of an Eames reproduction. Right now, I wanted the Eames chair for our living room but I'm not entirely sure how it will look or if it will be a piece of furniture I intend to keep for a long length of time. If the chair becomes part of our permanent furniture collection then you can bet that I will be looking to replace it with an original, possibly vintage version when the funds allow.
I'd also like to say that there is a difference between companies passing off fakes as the real thing (and consumers doing the same) compared to a company acknowledging that it is a reproduction and building the piece sort of as an homage to the real thing (which many well respected watch makers do with Rolexes).

So how does the reproduction compare to the real thing?
post #1086 of 4068
I went to go look at an old HM one, and I looked at some Chinese-made fakes recently (not really shopping for one, just observing) - it's kind of sad, but the HM one was junky looking, I will say that... and the Chinese fakes? They are actually somewhat impressive, considering.

The Herman Miller was in great condition for being vintage, the wood was fine, the steel bases were clean - but that leather was god awful. It was clearly about the lowest quality leather out there. It was old and dry - but that wasn't really the issue, it was really just not quality leather to begin with.
The Chinese made fakes? The wood was nice, not absolutely perfect on the edges or anything, but more than passable. The leather was clearly of a higher grade. Much, much nicer leather than the Herman Miller. Still not great leather in my eyes, but I am pretty picky about leather, to say the least...


How is the leather on Cassina LC2's? I have sat on some before and been wowed by this really soft aniline leather, but I'm not sure if they're all like that? I got a fake one recently and the leather is actually quite nice on it. It's not gonna pass for the $20K that the Cassinas cost here, but it's 'nice' in its own right.
post #1087 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by racknac View Post

So how does the reproduction compare to the real thing?
I have not received it yet, I'm hoping to have it in 2-3 weeks and I will post an update then.
post #1088 of 4068
mvdr barcelona coffee and side tables..

boring?

79

157
post #1089 of 4068
Are you guys into anything outside of modern? I've been really into Louis XV Peices these days, I'm tempted to buy and restore a peice to use a desk for my home office. I have a study with a desk I built for my GF, but in this case I'm thinking of a separate office. Thinking of pairing with modern Peices such as an Eames management chair and I'd probably build a credenza.
post #1090 of 4068

Screen Shot 2011-11-29 at 11.00.49 AM.png

post #1091 of 4068
I don't know the name for the yellow chair, come to think of it, but I've sat in it before and found it to be one of the rare famous designs that actually provides some comfort. I found it to be a lot more comfortable than say, an Eames lounge set. I just wish it didn't look like that. lol8[1].gif
post #1092 of 4068
I find the egg chair to be extremely uncomfortable for me and I love the lounge chair. I wish more modern chairs were comfortable. Even the LCW is super comfortable.
post #1093 of 4068
how tall are you? and do you consider yourself to have long legs or a long torso?
post #1094 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

how tall are you? and do you consider yourself to have long legs or a long torso?

this forum is sooooo gay
post #1095 of 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I don't know the name for the yellow chair, come to think of it, but I've sat in it before and found it to be one of the rare famous designs that actually provides some comfort. I found it to be a lot more comfortable than say, an Eames lounge set. I just wish it didn't look like that. lol8[1].gif

Egg by Arne Jacobsen and it's produced by Fritz Hansen, the smaller ones are Swans also by Arne Jacobsen.



Personally I would take a Wegner Ox chair over it any day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata