• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fencers here?

Patrician

Reaction score
Do we have any fencers here @ SF?

fight[1].gif

I fence epee and I'm really good
laugh.gif

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, don't think there are any.
devil.gif

Patrician

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that you fence?
sly.gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough I was talking with a friend about starting fencing again last night.

I fenced mostly foil for a year about 6 years ago, then did a 6 week beginners course for a refresher about a year ago but let it slide again. Its about the only sport I've really enjoyed so I really should make the effort. I think I need a bit more time on foil, but see epee as the way to go.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Why do I get the feeling that you fence?
sly.gif

Beats me.

Yet, there is absolutely no proof that I started fencing a bit in high school, picked it up again at the age of 20 and have been fencing ever since. Nor that I have, in that period, had 3-4 years where I trained properly and was pretty good (while sadly that allegedly no longer is the case). And who could imagine a slimmer of proof for the claim that I started with foil and switched to epee around the age of 26?

Patrician

Reaction score
What the **** are you talking about etienne?!

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** are you talking about etienne?!
I'm answering your question in what is meant as an amusing and ironical way drawing heavily on the use of preterition.

Patrician

Reaction score
And in English that means exactly what?

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
FAIL

English is not my native language.
eh.gif

Or is that just the American, sorry French, way of speaking.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Do we have any fencers here @ SF?

fight[1].gif

I fence epee and I'm really good
laugh.gif

I fenced for 5 years; left it behind about 5 years ago. I got my coach certification - the lowest level. I lost all my partners - wife, when she lost interest and then the teenaged children when they went away to school. I lift weights now; it's not as fun as foil.
blush.gif

DSCF0252.jpg

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And in English that means exactly what?
What exactly is it you don't understand? Preterition means (look it up) that I explained in what way I am a fencer (how long I have fenced, etc.) while appearing to deny being one. It's a joke. It's a figure of speech found in all Western languages, including English and French, and you don't have to know its name to use it.

kakemono

Reaction score
I took fencing in college for a 1 hour course. It was a dumb course, but I liked fencing.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fenced for a while, foil was my preferred event (although I did epee and sabre as well). I got a gold medal at a regional competition and got my first ranking (E 03 I believe). I stopped because I didn't have time or money to continue. Sadly that was about 3 years ago, I'd love to go back but I need to lose weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads