• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you tuck in your shirt into your underwear?

Patrician

Reaction score
We all have our ways of keeping the shirt from getting all baggy and loose, some use the so called military tuck, some use slimfit shirts and some might even staple the shirt to their legs (wtf?!) but then there are those who tuck their shirts into their underwear. Are you one of those?
musicboohoo[1].gif

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not "one of those".
smile.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but I tuck my undershirt into my underwear. That usually works like a charm in keeping my shirt from getting baggy on me during the course of the day.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tuck my pants into my underwear.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laugh if you must, but the undershirt in the underwear trick works like magic to prevent or at least suppress the tendency of the shirt to work its way out of a neat tuck over the course of the day. I was skeptical too until I tried it.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Laugh if you must, but the undershirt in the underwear trick works like magic to prevent or at least suppress the tendency of the shirt to work its way out of a neat tuck over the course of the day. I was skeptical too until I tried it.

+1

I am wearing t-shirts (tucked in the underwear). Only once or twice a year I try without. The result is, that the shirt is getting loose.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hideki11
No... It's too disgusting, just a normal tuck on my pants and not in the underwear. I can't imagine myself doing that....
I too had that opinion until recently when I thought about it, what is it thats disgusting about it? I mean, its not like your that dirty "down stairs"? Sure sweat, but you sweat from your armpits too, which touches your shirt aswell. And its not like your buttocks are dirty?...unless your shirt goes all the way to down and under your crotch? And do keep in mind that you laundy the shirt after you've used it.

Please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts...

I myself dont do it for the simple reason that my underwear sometimes shows when wearing pants, even though I use a belt.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
+1

I am wearing t-shirts (tucked in the underwear). Only once or twice a year I try without. The result is, that the shirt is getting loose.

I was tired of my dress shirts working their way out of the back side. So I was told about the "undershirt into underwear" trick. Works like a charm. I think having more than 1 loose item tucked into your pants just makes it easier for each one to work their way out.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
No, but I tuck my undershirt into my underwear. That usually works like a charm in keeping my shirt from getting baggy on me during the course of the day.

Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
+1

Originally Posted by Patrician
I too had that opinion until recently when I thought about it, what is it thats disgusting about it? I mean, its not like your that dirty "down stairs"? Sure sweat, but you sweat from your armpits too, which touches your shirt aswell. And its not like your buttocks are dirty?...unless your shirt goes all the way to down and under your crotch? And do keep in mind that you laundy the shirt after you've used it.

Please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts...

I myself dont do it for the simple reason that my underwear sometimes shows when wearing pants, even though I use a belt.

In all seriousness, why don't you simply buy longer undershirts? Tall sizes, perhaps. Or, I've found a GAP stretch-T makes a great undershirt because it's form-fitting and stays snug to the body (however they don't breathe as much as 100% cotton, so I don't suggest them on a hot day.)

I'm very tall (6'8") and have always hated when undershirts became un-tucked under a dress shirt, but with longer undershirts, I don't have the problem. But in all honesty, until this thread, it has never occured to me to tuck anything into my boxers.

Just my thoughts...take 'em or leave 'em

jag

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
If your shirt is riding up throughout the day, you need to get a new shirt maker... I have had that problem once, and it was due to fabric quality...

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
In all seriousness, why don't you simply buy longer undershirts? Tall sizes, perhaps. Or, I've found a GAP stretch-T makes a great undershirt because it's form-fitting and stays snug to the body (however they don't breathe as much as 100% cotton, so I don't suggest them on a hot day.)

What size Gap stretch tees are you buying? I also like them a lot as undershirts, but do think that they could serve to be an inch or two longer when serving that purpose with another shirt tucked in over top of them (though it does depend on the waist of the pants).

On a slightly related note, when I was in college I spent a year studying in Spain. The woman who I rented me my room also did laundry. She was just in love with my Gap stretch t-shirts. She would go on about how she knew clothes and they were good quality clothes. She basically wouldn't believe me when I told her how much they cost. I think that Gap did drop their quality and thickness for a time in the last few years, but it seems to me the last batch I bought were pretty good, so I hope they stay that way.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
I always tuck my undershirt in my underwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads