• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

Interface

Reaction score
Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,
Interface.

Doc4

Reaction score
Check your neck size. If your collars are a tad too small, your ties will feel uncomfortable.

Other than that, yes, you will get used to wearing a tie & it should be less and less noticeable.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone wants to be Barney Stinson from CBS's "How I Met Your Mother." Don't do it. You're not Barney. Indeed, Barney is not even real. It's just a TV show.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure your shirts fit in the collar.

Interface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Someone wants to be Barney Stinson from CBS's "How I Met Your Mother." Don't do it. You're not Barney. Indeed, Barney is not even real. It's just a TV show.
I hadn't even heard of that guy until now.

crpz32

Reaction score
http://www.esquire.com/style/donald-trump-0908

Interview with Donald Trump

Do you dress to impress?

I always wear a suit--looking one's best is good for confidence. High self-esteem is important for effective performance. Dressing well is also a sign of respect, for yourself and for others.

Do you think about what you wear every day?

Not too much, as I know what I'll wear every day, which is a suit. It saves time, and I know I'll look appropriate. I have too much to think about to devote a lot of time to it.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started doing this a about a year and a half ago (voluntarily, not out of office need), without that tie addition and including odd jackets. Make sure you have enough suits/jackets (seven seemed to work for me) and that your collars fit. Eventually jeans returned on weekends and my collars were often open and tieless. I no longer ironed every day. That's about where I am now, except that I nearly never iron (it's part of the charm, babe) and jeans are as valid an option as a suit.

How old are you? What do you do? Where do you work, where do you study? If you already know you won't be comfortable in certain aspects, don't do it. If you want to form a self-conscious, contrived personality, I'd suggest for the sake of people you know not to do it. You seem like you're going to become an asshole.

Anyway, I'm a little dizzy and have a headache. Let the moral of this post be: it's much easier with money.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Make sure your shirts fit in the collar.

+1 I noticed in an Obama interview his collar was slightly big on him. This could be for varying reasons or it could be by choice.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
You seem like you're going to become an asshole.

+1

The intention seems very superficial to me.

I would also suggest that if you're going to make such a 'drastic' change, I would do it gradually to prevent this effect. If you go from super casual one day to a full on suit the next, it comes across as very pretentious and fake.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a colleague who daily wears a tie and suit or odd jacket, even on weekends and evenings. I don't know anyone who has seen him dressed otherwise. However, he's a true elder statesman who looks very comfortable in his clothing and with himself.

gefinzi

Reaction score
I wear a suit or sportscoat with tie six days a week, not on Sunday unless working. (I usually stop by the office on Saturday). I am sort of known as "the guy who wears a suit". However I'm in my mid-30s, have a full time white collar job, and when I go out its usually to a nice restaurant or high end bar rather than a club where a suit might seen very out of place. For a younger person (? college student), perhaps a frequent sportcoat without tie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads