• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowboarding Gear Dilemma

specialblend

Reaction score
Hi guys so I need some opinions.

Snowboarding season is a little less than a month away now and I always get new gear every season. This season I was thinking of doing something a little bit different and getting into a newer line called Holden, but I always like my go to brand called FourSquare.

I've got two outfits in mind and I need a quick opinion.

IMG_0050.jpg

Holden; Now this outfit is trim and tailored, not what i usually get into for snowboarding. The jacket isn't Nylon like they usually are. Instead its waterproofed canvas and has minimal details.

IMG_0052.jpg

Foursquare. Loud, thats all there is to say. THis is the trend on the hills.

phildo

Reaction score
Is this going to be exclusively for snowboarding or are you planning on wearing the jacket around during the winter?

specialblend

Reaction score
I might get a bit of streetwear out of it, yeah. It wouldn't be my primary streetwear jacket though.

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
Is the Holden Jacket as waterproof/breathable as the Four Square?

Although, if you're throwing corked 540's, no one will care what you're wearing.

phildo

Reaction score
The second one is really bright and trendy which is gonna get you a lot of attention on the hill. And you're going to need some skills if you want to wear an outfit like that otherwise you'll look like a poser who just spent $500 on a snowboarding outfit. Foursquare makes nice and warm jackets which I'm sure you know so that's another plus. The downside of this one is you're going to look goofy wearing it on the street. But in a city like Vancouver I'm thinking it doesn't get cold enough to wear it very much.

I don't know anything about Holden and I'm not really a fan of it for streetwear or the hill.

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarbonatedTsoda
I don't know much about snowboard fashion....but the second jacket, no offense, makes you look like a clown.

The current snowboard fashion is to look like a clown, seriously. Kind of like hip-hop fashion.

specialblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aging in rhythm
Is the Holden Jacket as waterproof/breathable as the Four Square?

Although, if you're throwing corked 540's, no one will care what you're wearing.

The Holden one is rated to 10,000mm and the Foursquare one is only 5,000mm

So yeah even though its not nylon its more waterproof and actually more breathable.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
They are both fine. Half the riders on the hill are wearing pink, blue and yellow two sizes too big so it isn't like the second one is anything outrageous. Holden is good stuff. Good luck and let it snow...

specialblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phildo
The second one is really bright and trendy which is gonna get you a lot of attention on the hill. And you're going to need some skills if you want to wear an outfit like that otherwise you'll look like a poser who just spent $500 on a snowboarding outfit. Foursquare makes nice and warm jackets which I'm sure you know so that's another plus. The downside of this one is you're going to look goofy wearing it on the street. But in a city like Vancouver I'm thinking it doesn't get cold enough to wear it very much.

I don't know anything about Holden and I'm not really a fan of it for streetwear or the hill.

Its actually just a shell, anything else is too warm. I'm not worried about looking like a poseur because i can throw down with the best of em. Its more of a 'should i change my style question'? The gangster thing is prety much over, trends are more going towards 80s punk rock, everything is slowly getting slimmer and riders like Joe Sexton and Simon Chamberlain are changing the face of style on the hill.

bdr3

Reaction score
I snowboard quite a bit and I do see a lot of kids dressed like your second look. I stress "kids". I like first look better, but for me it wouldn't matter as there is zero crossover between what I wear on and off the slopes.

YMMV

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holden is the king of steez on the mountain, by a mile. (Unless it becomes overly popular, I can't see myself buying anything but...)

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like someone said, you better have some significant skill to pull off the candy cane jacket. I roll around Bear and Snow Summit with my fake snow and the only people who sport the weird stuff are either crazy good or douche bag posers.

IMO 5,000 mm is fine for jacket, but pants should be 20,000mm or goretex.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, why is your 'go to' brand FourSquare if your handle is Special Blend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads