or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Snowboarding Gear Dilemma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowboarding Gear Dilemma - Page 2

post #16 of 46
What is the mm rating? I looking to buy some gear this year as well. Thanks.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano View Post
Also, why is your 'go to' brand FourSquare if your handle is Special Blend?

they are the same company... maybe he thinks special blend sounds better?
post #18 of 46
I like the first one better.
post #19 of 46
I'm still in shock that you buy new gear every year. I mean, even if I were to assume that you are referring to new clothing only, that can still easily cost $1000.
post #20 of 46
Thread Starter 
About $2500 actually for new board, boots, pants and jacket, etc. I ride twice a week so i make good use of it. I'm really leaning towards the Holden gear
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianmidnight View Post
they are the same company... maybe he thinks special blend sounds better?

I guess. But they still have different lines and labels. I've always found that kinda odd that they are one in the same but are two separate lines. I've also found FourSquare stuff to be slightly more technical...
post #22 of 46
I'd go for the Holden stuff. It will set you apart from the rest of the "kids". I've been boarding for awhile too and like the loud stuff too, but holden is pretty awesome.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreknip View Post
I'm still in shock that you buy new gear every year. I mean, even if I were to assume that you are referring to new clothing only, that can still easily cost $1000.

if he uses and abuses his outerwear, one seasons worth of use is more than enough to significantly lower the water proofing ability.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano View Post
I guess. But they still have different lines and labels. I've always found that kinda odd that they are one in the same but are two separate lines. I've also found FourSquare stuff to be slightly more technical...
It is odd, they have like the exact same items only in different colored stripes or patterns, all the way down the sweaters and beanies.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aging in rhythm View Post
Is the Holden Jacket as waterproof/breathable as the Four Square? Although, if you're throwing corked 540's, no one will care what you're wearing.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS. What you are wearing is crucial to maxing out your steeze. Okay I'm being a little sarcastic. But this is not the place to be asking for advice on what to wear on the hill, it's a completely different arena and well out of the range of expertise of this forum. I will say that generally Holden's quality vastly exceeds most foursquare stuff. The majority of mainstream snowboard brands are really pretty low-rent in that respect. But since you live in Vancouver, I'd head down to 4th and Burrard to Pacific Boarder and Comor, and ask Marin what he thinks you should wear.
Quote:
I'm still in shock that you buy new gear every year. I mean, even if I were to assume that you are referring to new clothing only, that can still easily cost $1000.
I do likewise. It costs nowhere near that much, thanks to "teh mad industry hookups", but retail value is way more than that. Think about it, though, some people are riding upwards of 100 days per season, and a pair of skis or board isn't going to typically last more than 60 days on hill before the core is fucked. Outerwear, waterproofing wears off, shit gets torn by edges. Boots, soles get worn down through walking, and they get bashed up on things. Gloves should be replaced every year even if you ride half that much, they just don't last (aside from Marmot Randonees / Ultimates and the like, which you might get 2 out of). Goggs get scratched and the foam gets wrecked. You get the picture. The only thing that will really last for a while is bindings. If this seems expensive, consider the pros (some go through 8-10 pairs of skis per season) and consider those who have BC/Pow, touring and park specific setups. I know people with 2 sets of the exact same skis mounted at different points for different purposes. Try replacing all that on a regular basis. This shit's expensive... but we may console ourselves with the fact that at least it's still cheaper than mountain biking.
Quote:
IMO 5,000 mm is fine for jacket, but pants should be 20,000mm or goretex.
I disagree. Your ideal waterproof rating varies depending on where you live. On the east coast, a 10k waterproof rating is more than enough, so long as you can layer to deal with varying temperatures. In Utah, 10k is fine, 20k is excellent. In Quebec and Onterrible, it doesn't even really matter what your waterproofing is, you just need something to deal with the -30 celsius temps at Avila. In the PNW, if you don't have a 20k+ (preferably 3-ply goretex) suit and you ride frequently you're not properly equipped. That being said, the main reason for needing 20k is wet snow or rain, and that stuff falls from the sky last time I checked, so the jacket's rating is actually more important than the pants (you have boots up to your mid calf, so if the bottom gets a little soggy you're still dry). The shoulder seams of the jacket are the point through which most moisture enters.
post #26 of 46
I think this could be a cool snowboarding jacket:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=569
post #27 of 46
style, steez whatever you want to call it seems to be important but before i buy anything for skiing (in my case) the piece needs to be functional.

does the jacket have enough pockets, are there vents in the right places, does the jacket/pants allow you to move freely for snowboarding/skiing, do the wrist gaitors actually help or detract?

Those are the questions i ask before i get the steezy piece of clothing.

I always liked burton (overpriced) and sessions gear, quality stuff.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhouriC View Post

....and sessions gear, quality stuff.

+1. Good stuff for the price and a lot of different price points/technical fabrics to choose from. Plenty of steeze in the fit of their stuff without getting ridiculous.

Orage and Holden are both solid in the looks department as well.
post #29 of 46
Any Burton AK 3 Layer gortex pro jackets is all you need. There are some pants and jackets on sale for more then 30% off at backcountryoutlet.com. I picked up a 3 Layer hover jacket and hover pants and its kept me warm (layer with a softshell) and dry through the worst and hasn't failed me yet. I love the styling of Burtons AK line also because they are very functional jackets, come in so many colors and styles. A bit pricy though but anyone who really snowboards, knows how expensive the sport is.
post #30 of 46
OH and aside from Burton, ive had good experiecnes with the brand 686. I love their smarty line which is jackets and pants that come with a removable liner. Its great because they are pretty warm and if its too warm outside because of spring riding, you can remove the liner and just use the shell. Also every year, they collaborate with another company, this year its Levis and they created a Denimish snowboard pants that actually looks pretty cool. I wasn't thrilled on how the jacket looked however. I also beleive the smarty line is 15k/10k which is fine for most places excluding B.C...however B.C is heaven.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Snowboarding Gear Dilemma