or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Two button navy blazer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two button navy blazer

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I just saw former President George HW Bush at the Super Bowl opening ceremonies, wearing a navy blue blazer with his trademark repp ties. What struck me however was that he buttoned both buttons of his blazer. I thought you were supposed to just button the top one. Comments?
post #2 of 19
Quote:
I thought you were supposed to just button the top one.
You are.  He's an old man.  Or maybe it's a Skull and Bones thing.   In any case, don't button the bottom button.  Ever.
post #3 of 19
Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican. Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Quote:
(tdial @ Feb. 06 2005,20:23) Perhaps GHWB is setting a trend to be followed by thousands of young Republican prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers...
Time was, prep schoolers and Ivy Leaguers knew better, whether Democrat or Republican.  Where are the Trad dudes when you need 'em?
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away, Manton.
post #6 of 19
Too bad. A nation turns its lonely eyes to them.
post #7 of 19
Let's compare and contrast shall we? Bush: Shirt sleeves are not visible, both buttons are buttoned, and suit is improperly cut as seen by all the wrinkles in the side of his suit above the flap pocket, lapels seem rather flat. Clinton: Visible shirt sleeves, suit has a minimal wait curvature, but is cut perfectly for the "˜Washington' look, only the top button is buttoned, lapels curve nicely and seem to have some body. I guess Clinton won this sartorial round. Jon.
post #8 of 19
When he is not wearing Donna Karan, Clinton would win most sartorial rounds. (I heard that he and Donna had a falling out. If true, it's the best thing that ever happened to his style.)
post #9 of 19
Quote:
When he is not wearing Donna Karan, Clinton would win most sartorial rounds.  (I heard that he and Donna had a falling out.  If true, it's the best thing that ever happened to his style.)
Anyone whose weight fluctuates a lot has to think carefully about his clothes. Don't ask me how I know.
post #10 of 19
Bush and Clinton's suits in that picture is like night and day. Bush's look like it came straight out of Men's Wearhouse.
post #11 of 19
I get the impression that neither guy showed up in Jacksonville with those jackets. What are the chances that both Clinton and Bush own the exact same jacket? At any rate, neither guy looked particularly good in those jackets. Why exactly was Clinton taking part in a tribute to WWII soldiers?
post #12 of 19
I figure Clinton was taking part in a WWII tribute because he used to the President of the United States. Love him or hate him, thats what he used to be. Last I checked you didnt have to fight in WWII to be a part of a tribute. Thats kind of the idea of a "tribute" no?
post #13 of 19
The only guy who looked good in his suit all night was Michael Douglas, although McCartney tried hard to get the rock star look down.   Clinton looked and sounded very uncomfortable during the entire tribute, even turning the attention away from soldiers in warzones now after a nice alley-oop from Bush.  [non-sequitor follows] Anyone else think those guys must be getting to be buddies now, between the tsunami relief, and the Superbowl and all? Tom
post #14 of 19
Quote:
The only guy who looked good in his suit all night was Michael Douglas, although McCartney tried hard to get the rock star look down.   Clinton looked and sounded very uncomfortable during the entire tribute, even turning the attention away from soldiers in warzones now after a nice alley-oop from Bush.  [non-sequitor follows] Anyone else think those guys must be getting to be buddies now, between the tsunami relief, and the Superbowl and all? Tom
I can't even enjoy a simple half-time show anymore thanks to this forum and Ask Andy. While I agree with you about Douglas's suit looking nice, he left the top button unbuttoned on his three button suit that was designed to have the top button buttoned. He had no lapel roll, which made the suit look unbalanced without the top button buttoned. Sigh.
post #15 of 19
Here Pres. Bill demonstrates proper sleeve length.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Two button navy blazer