• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appeal of Panerai?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What i sthe appeal of Panerai watches? This i not a knock on them, as I understand people like things for different reasons. I personally don't understand why they are interesting or attractive or otherwise worthwhile. But there must be something to it. Or is it just that you either get it or you don't, and I don't?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might want to try that question in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=82211

smile.gif

braised

Reaction score
Dopey, Panerai is a classic military watch with more design appeal than many German, Swiss or US watches of similar antecedent. The watch designs go right back to the second world war, perhaps earlier, I'm not a student of watches. The design is simple - uncluttered field, large numbers, luminous indicators - which makes them ideal for field use in low light.

Personally, I find the watches too large, but they are exemplars of good industrial design IMO. they are the horologic equilavent to the red stripe down the leg of the carbinari - bold.

Braised

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the playful straightforwardness of the dial layout and case design. While the watches are bold due to size, the execution of the details is very fine and almost painfully simple. The curves of the Radiomir case are particularly pretty.

Of course, I hate almost all of the non-basic models.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
What history explains the scale of the watch?

Am I correct in recalling it had something to do with being worn around outerwear?

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What history explains the scale of the watch?

Am I correct in recalling it had something to do with being worn around outerwear?

- B

It had to be worn over a diving suit, but that would only have required a longer strap. The real cause for the size was that it had to be large enough to be clearly read underwater and withstand a lot of water pressure.

braised

Reaction score
This history of military watches is that of utility. Solid casings house and secure mechanisms, even providing some magnetic shielding - remember panerais are mechanical watches. Large, uncluttered dials are easy to read; an asset in low light. The curves in all directions manage the profile of the watch so that it does not catch or snag. Call them what you will, the design aspects are all utilitarian.

The genius of the italians is to make the whole dynamic and harmonious, not bland like scandinavian design or compromised like french (think deux chevaux).

Seriously, they are great pieces of design and the indivual elements very are very finely wrought.

Taken as a whole, they just come out too large for me every time I try one. Kind of bums me out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Interesting. Does the movement fill the large case?

Not in all cases. In the basic, time-only models, a pocket watch movement is used (an ETA ebauche)--this definitely fits. But in some of the upper-middle models that have complications (power reserve, chronograph, etc.), regular sized movements are used, leaving lots of space.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... how do you explain the appeal of a design? Hard task. It's appealing to me because I like the designs of the historic Marina and Radiomir watches.

As Stevie said, isn't she lovely?

DSC_0211.jpg

braised

Reaction score
TJ, thats too simple, at worst they might be clumsy. they are serious piece of kit, perhaps too much for you to accept.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex movement, Panerai case and dial design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads