or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › TMJ - anyone else have experience with it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TMJ - anyone else have experience with it?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
So... i feel like I have a sprained face. It sucks.

Should I even bother going to see someone? I hear that chances are, they are just going to give me a mouthpiece to wear at night, which I can get myself.

I don't know how I feel about Botox... but I hear thats the new "thing" thats supposed to help.

Anyone else have a TMJ problem? Experience?
I'm pretty sure we have some Dentists here.
post #2 of 25
Thread Starter 
Nobody huh...

I will probably pick up a mouthpiece tonight and maybe some more tylenol.
post #3 of 25
Provide a bit more of a history and I'll do my best to help. Truthfully, if I were you I'd make a trip over to the local dental college - unless you happen to have great insurance or a big bank account. You'll receive much more thorough care at the nearest faculty and may even be lucky enough to get attention from some specialists at no cost (i.e. as a "teaching case"). I wish we had more TMD cases in the hands of our students... Oh, and that raises a good point. Please don't tell the dentist you have "TMJ" - we know you have a temporomandibular joint. Use "TMD" and then we'll know you're dealing with a disorder.
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreknip View Post

Oh, and that raises a good point. Please don't tell the dentist you have "TMJ" - we know you have a temporomandibular joint. Use "TMD" and then we'll know you're dealing with a disorder.

Sorry... I was reading about it online, at tmj.org and etc. I didn't know it was an "expresso v espresso" type of deal

I will refer to it from now on as a TMJD...
post #5 of 25
Heh, not that it offended me personally or anything; my intent is simply to correct a common mistake. That said, treatment of TMD is probably one of the most difficult and most disputed aspects in all of medicine/dentistry. Again, I'll do my best to answer any questions you have, but in the meantime, be prepared for a fair amount of frustration over the course of your treatment (if you decide to attempt treatment).
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreknip View Post
Heh, not that it offended me personally or anything; my intent is simply to correct a common mistake. That said, treatment of TMD is probably one of the most difficult and most disputed aspects in all of medicine/dentistry. Again, I'll do my best to answer any questions you have, but in the meantime, be prepared for a fair amount of frustration over the course of your treatment (if you decide to attempt treatment).
So... basically... there's nothing that will make me like... better by monday? I was going to go pick up a mouthguard tonight. Its really much worse in the mornings. Yes, I've been stressed out lately - and I've always been sort of a jaw clencher anyways. I wonder if I'll just bite down harder on the mouth guard?
post #7 of 25
I've never had a dentist want to treat it. They always look in my mouth and proclaim "you must grind your teeth!" and I say "yep, in my sleep". That is usually the extent of it. Sometimes they say "stop doing that" or "try to reduce stress in your life".
post #8 of 25
I sort of have it on my left side. However, for me it comes and goes, and really only bothers me maybe twice a year for a couple weeks at most. My dentist recommended trying moist heat, so you could try that. I usually just tough it out.

What Milhouse said, my dentist has also said to me. I think he also said surgery is a possible treatment, but only if it's a very extreme case.
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
I dunno how severe it is, I've never heard of it before yesterday.

Basically, when I try to open my mouth, or if I move my head too fast, or if I accidentally clench my jaw - I get a shooting pain like someone is stabbing me in the face with a red hot poker.

Although it does feel better this morning. When I do something like yawn - the pain is excruciating..
post #10 of 25
To elaborate, I rarely have much pain from it. On occasion I will have a sore face (maybe once a year or so). More frequently, my teeth hurt when I wake up. My jaw does make the popping noises though. I probably should have mentioned it to the OMFS when I had my wisdom teeth yoinked out. Maybe he could have used another boat payment. Oh well, I've moved away.
post #11 of 25
I'm kinda curious as to why you think you have TMJ? It sounds like you got punched in the jaw or something and are recovering? Is this an ongoing thing or is your pain from something recent?
post #12 of 25
I have a problem with grinding my teeth at night. I've been wearing a nightguard when I sleep for like 5 or 6 years now. If this were an ongoing problem I'd recommend you get fitted for one by a dentist, as I've tried the over-the-counter ones and they fit kinda uncomfortably. That said, since it's a new problem for you it might be a good idea to give it a shot. You'll be saving your enamel and it should help with the jaw, that's been my experience anyway.
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13 View Post
I'm kinda curious as to why you think you have TMJ? It sounds like you got punched in the jaw or something and are recovering? Is this an ongoing thing or is your pain from something recent?

It feels that way, but I haven't been punched in the jaw in years.
Its a recent thing, yes - and haven't had problems with it before, but I've had a really traumatic and stressful last couple of months, and basically, through my research, TMJD is the most likely scenario. The dentist basically confirmed it, through hearingmy symptoms, and describing when and where it takes place, and etc. The fact that its worst in the mornings, the type of paini feel, range of motion, and from looking and poking around my jaw area.
post #14 of 25
I dated a girl who was prone to TMJ once. It caused me to end up breaking up with her
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
It feels that way, but I haven't been punched in the jaw in years.
Its a recent thing, yes - and haven't had problems with it before, but I've had a really traumatic and stressful last couple of months, and basically, through my research, TMJD is the most likely scenario. The dentist basically confirmed it, through hearingmy symptoms, and describing when and where it takes place, and etc. The fact that its worst in the mornings, the type of paini feel, range of motion, and from looking and poking around my jaw area.

All I have to say is to do whatever you can to reduce your stress. A friend started clenching her teeth at night (work-related stress), then grinding, then she broke a molar which she said hurt worse than anything she could recall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › TMJ - anyone else have experience with it?