• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Panerai Radiomir but can't afford one at the moment.

Could any of you guys recommend a well made watch with similar aesthetics to the Radiomir?

Say somewhere under $1500?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ IWI Marine Diver, which can be had around $300-400, is of much better quality.

There's also a Hong Kong guy who does "MTO" Panerai homage at similar costs. Do a search on WatchUSeek.

That being said, I'd recommend against any of these options. If you like bigger watches, there are lots of attractive and more legit alternatives, in all price ranges.

doughboyr6

Reaction score
go to www.watchuseek.com

i'm in the same boat. And i don't like replicas/fakes....but homage is different. Its generally made with better parts than the stuff on ebay and it doesn't try/pretend to be the real thing (no labels/markings..etc). I did some searching on that forum and many recommended a fellow member JOA who makes Panerai styled watches. I got in touch with him and ordered one.

They aren't cheap, but cheaper than the real thing. Mine came out to $500 give or take...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A really lovely watch. I have also been coveting it ever since my dad purchased one. Honestly the best route, though of questionable ethics, is to get a replica. You can get a genuine mechanical movement, that will fool even experts upon cursory examination in the neighborhood of 4-500 dollars.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
There's tons... RXW does a series of slightly controversial (or at least as contorversial as a watch can be) models that definantly at least draw some design elements from Panerai, for instance. Great watches by all accounts, with a much lower price tag, although maybe harder to find now. The MM20 is probably the most like the classic Luminor Marina, and its been out of production for a few years now, I think. They also have a new one thats a dead ringer for the Radiomir's, but I can't for the life of me rememebr the name. Maybe check TZ and the Big Watch forum though, since they go through fairly regularly there. There are a few mainstream companies that offer similiar peices to Panerai, specifically Bell & Ross, Anonimo, and Enzo; the problem there is that the former two are nearing the same price point as Panerai, while the latter is a fundamentally less attractive peice of work. There are also RWC and IWI (again, hoping I have the names right) "homage" pieces of many Panerai models, and countless panerai fakes out and about from China. Really, the only peice thats easier to find a low rent version of would be the classic Submariner... which is funny, sicne of the course Panerai themselves are derived from a Rolex model from the 50's...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Honestly the best route, though of questionable ethics, is to get a replica. You can get a genuine mechanical movement, that will fool even experts upon cursory examination in the neighborhood of 4-500 dollars.

rolleyes.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWI is the way to go, I had one for awhile. Spot on, great qaulity.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?

Relatively speaking, that's like saying, "why get a BMW when you can save up and get a Ferrari?" A $3500 difference in the price of a watch is huge IMO.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
Relatively speaking, that's like saying, "why get a BMW when you can save up and get a Ferrari?" A $3500 difference in the price of a watch is huge IMO.
Understood and agreed.

I just hate going half-assed. A BMW is great in its own right. If the OP wants a Panerai, he should get a Panerai. Or he could get something that's ALMOST a Panerai and never be fully happy with it. In my experience, every time I've wanted X and compromised with Y, I've always wished that I'd just waited a bit longer and gotten what I wanted in the first place.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine to get an affordable watch, but I think it's a little cheesy to get one that is so obviously modeled upon the object of your desire (To me, IWI MD looks totally like a PAM knockoff. ) There are plenty of original, nice watches of similar size and style in your price range.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doughboyr6
go to www.watchuseek.com

i'm in the same boat. And i don't like replicas/fakes....but homage is different. Its generally made with better parts than the stuff on ebay and it doesn't try/pretend to be the real thing (no labels/markings..etc). I did some searching on that forum and many recommended a fellow member JOA who makes Panerai styled watches. I got in touch with him and ordered one.

They aren't cheap, but cheaper than the real thing. Mine came out to $500 give or take...

For a cheaper price visit :

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/home.html

pics:
http://internationalwatchman.com/200...PVDUnitas.html

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

I agree with this, kind of. I've seen near mint Panerai's go for $3000 on the sales corner of Timezone sold by members who need to free up some cash asap. Panerai's are always on the sales corner so save up and check the forum often.

You will never be happy with an homage model and you are bound to take a hit on the resale.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics