or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's Panerai?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor man's Panerai?

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
I really like the Panerai Radiomir but can't afford one at the moment.

Could any of you guys recommend a well made watch with similar aesthetics to the Radiomir?

Say somewhere under $1500?
post #2 of 77
look up "marina militare watch" on ebay. You'll get a couple hundred for under 150 bucks and 90+% under 70 bucks. Here's a nice example http://cgi.ebay.com/44mm-Marina-Militare-Swan-Neck-CALIFORNIA-Watch-6497_W0QQitemZ310091277075QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310091277075&_trkparms=72:1326|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
post #3 of 77
^ IWI Marine Diver, which can be had around $300-400, is of much better quality.


There's also a Hong Kong guy who does "MTO" Panerai homage at similar costs. Do a search on WatchUSeek.


That being said, I'd recommend against any of these options. If you like bigger watches, there are lots of attractive and more legit alternatives, in all price ranges.
post #4 of 77
go to www.watchuseek.com

i'm in the same boat. And i don't like replicas/fakes....but homage is different. Its generally made with better parts than the stuff on ebay and it doesn't try/pretend to be the real thing (no labels/markings..etc). I did some searching on that forum and many recommended a fellow member JOA who makes Panerai styled watches. I got in touch with him and ordered one.

They aren't cheap, but cheaper than the real thing. Mine came out to $500 give or take...
post #5 of 77
A really lovely watch. I have also been coveting it ever since my dad purchased one. Honestly the best route, though of questionable ethics, is to get a replica. You can get a genuine mechanical movement, that will fool even experts upon cursory examination in the neighborhood of 4-500 dollars.
post #6 of 77
There's tons... RXW does a series of slightly controversial (or at least as contorversial as a watch can be) models that definantly at least draw some design elements from Panerai, for instance. Great watches by all accounts, with a much lower price tag, although maybe harder to find now. The MM20 is probably the most like the classic Luminor Marina, and its been out of production for a few years now, I think. They also have a new one thats a dead ringer for the Radiomir's, but I can't for the life of me rememebr the name. Maybe check TZ and the Big Watch forum though, since they go through fairly regularly there. There are a few mainstream companies that offer similiar peices to Panerai, specifically Bell & Ross, Anonimo, and Enzo; the problem there is that the former two are nearing the same price point as Panerai, while the latter is a fundamentally less attractive peice of work. There are also RWC and IWI (again, hoping I have the names right) "homage" pieces of many Panerai models, and countless panerai fakes out and about from China. Really, the only peice thats easier to find a low rent version of would be the classic Submariner... which is funny, sicne of the course Panerai themselves are derived from a Rolex model from the 50's...
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Honestly the best route, though of questionable ethics, is to get a replica. You can get a genuine mechanical movement, that will fool even experts upon cursory examination in the neighborhood of 4-500 dollars.

post #8 of 77
IWI is the way to go, I had one for awhile. Spot on, great qaulity.
post #9 of 77
post #10 of 77
Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?


Relatively speaking, that's like saying, "why get a BMW when you can save up and get a Ferrari?" A $3500 difference in the price of a watch is huge IMO.
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDave View Post
Relatively speaking, that's like saying, "why get a BMW when you can save up and get a Ferrari?" A $3500 difference in the price of a watch is huge IMO.
Understood and agreed.

I just hate going half-assed. A BMW is great in its own right. If the OP wants a Panerai, he should get a Panerai. Or he could get something that's ALMOST a Panerai and never be fully happy with it. In my experience, every time I've wanted X and compromised with Y, I've always wished that I'd just waited a bit longer and gotten what I wanted in the first place.
post #13 of 77
It's fine to get an affordable watch, but I think it's a little cheesy to get one that is so obviously modeled upon the object of your desire (To me, IWI MD looks totally like a PAM knockoff. ) There are plenty of original, nice watches of similar size and style in your price range.
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboyr6 View Post
go to www.watchuseek.com

i'm in the same boat. And i don't like replicas/fakes....but homage is different. Its generally made with better parts than the stuff on ebay and it doesn't try/pretend to be the real thing (no labels/markings..etc). I did some searching on that forum and many recommended a fellow member JOA who makes Panerai styled watches. I got in touch with him and ordered one.

They aren't cheap, but cheaper than the real thing. Mine came out to $500 give or take...

For a cheaper price visit :

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/home.html

pics:
http://internationalwatchman.com/200...PVDUnitas.html
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?

I agree with this, kind of. I've seen near mint Panerai's go for $3000 on the sales corner of Timezone sold by members who need to free up some cash asap. Panerai's are always on the sales corner so save up and check the forum often.

You will never be happy with an homage model and you are bound to take a hit on the resale.

dl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Poor man's Panerai?