• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan boots

Phil

Reaction score
I think its important to give proper credit to certain goods when we are particularly pleased with them. I own 3 pair of Alden cordovan leather boots now. I really cant tell you how great they have held up over the years. My oldest pair is 4 years old now (color 8, chukka), and my newest are a week old (black, high lace cap toe boot), and they have never let me down. I wear them with everything from heavy tweed and flannel suits to old levis. They are so comfortable, and I wouldnt trade them for anything. They shine up like mirrors, but they look equally as good all scuffed up.

No other reason for the post, i just love my Alden cordovan leather boots.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too have a pair of the lace-up Alden cordovan boots. Mine are in a wingtip design and lace up with hooks an inch or two above the ankle. They are positively bulletproof and, not surprisingly, are quite heavy. They are dressy enough that they are perfect to wear to the office (they are black) during the colder months, usually with a pair of gray flannel slacks (never with a suit though). A great addition to the shoe collection IMO.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do either of you, or anyone for that matter, have pictures of the Alden Chukka Boot in Mahogany or Cigar Shell Cordovan?

Phil

Reaction score
I dont, but go to the Alden of Carmel website, www.alden-of-carmel.com, and go to Alden Fan shoes. There are many photos of what you are looking for.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brilliant. For those interested: Cigar Shell Cordovan
ds5319vy.jpg
Handsewn Whiskey and Mahogany Shell Cordovan (can anyone tell me which is Whiskey and which is Mahogany?)
af113dv.jpg

Phil

Reaction score
There is just something so simple about those boots. I love the thick stitching, the basic, no nonsense styling. They are just perfect boots. And they truly do look better with age, the black ones included.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Handsewn Whiskey and Mahogany Shell Cordovan (can anyone tell me which is Whiskey and which is Mahogany?)
Whiskey is the light (golden) tan,
Mahogany the dark (reddish) tan.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil,

Would you wear your burgundy boots in spring/summer? With a navy suit in those seasons?

Thanks.

Phil

Reaction score
John-

I wear them all summer, but not with summer suits. The boots are chunky, and not very elegant. I wear them with extremely heavy winter suits, and tween sportcoats/flannel pants too. In fact I am wearing the color 8 chukkas today:

Bills Khakis moleskin trousers
Old BB button down, frayed
Mimmo Spano Donegal tweed Norfolk jacket
Alden color 8 chukkas

I wear them with jeans and khakis in the summer. I think the lightness of a summer weight suit would clash with the rather unelegant boots. Just my opinion though.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil,

Thank you, that answers one question and raises another:

How does one go about requesting a custom order from Alden? If anyone knows, what has been their experience.

Phil

Reaction score
you can order them from the Alden store in Manhattan, on 43rd and madison. If you do, you have to pay the entire amount up front. NO EXCEPTIONS. Be prepared to wait 6 months.

You can order them through Alden of Carmel, paying nothing up front, but you have to give them your cc number when you order. Also, prepare to wait about 6 months.

Phil

Reaction score
Forgot to add, you can also order them from the other Alden store in NYC, on 71st and 3rd ave. You have to leave a deposit, of about $200.00.

I dont know if you can contact Alden directly.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what are your thoughts about wearing these with suits? I used to wear ankle boots with suits, and then gave it up when I somewhat simplified my wardrobe, but I am thinking about getting a couple pair of similar boots (maybe from Vass) and integrating them again in my wardrobe. I am not particularly dainty, and usually wear midnight blue or charcoal gray suits.

any ideas welcome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads