Related Forum Threads
- Dark shirt on dark suit? Last post on 8/25/11 at 2:32pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Is black suit an acceptable business attire? - Page 71post #1051 of 10683/12/15 at 9:19pmWeird to see this thread brought back from the dead after so long. The whole idea of CBD and reason for following certain rules that are in place for menswear IMO is that, while not everyone knows the rules, there is a degree to which people understand the broad strokes on at least an unconscious level. Most people will not think, "OMG. I can't believe that guy is wearing a black suit. Doesn't he know better?" Of those who think it, most will have the good manners to not say it. But they may prefer the look of a navy or dark grey suit even if they don't know exactly why. The main reason to break the rules is to look better and I don't see many cases where wearing a black suit makes one look better. Especially since black looks better in the evening and business is conducted during the day (yeah, I've worked plenty of jobs with long hours where one is in the office well into the evening, but y'all know what I mean).post #1052 of 10683/13/15 at 4:36pmpost #1053 of 10683/13/15 at 5:27pmQuote:
So is it acceptable for business or not? You haz me confuse....post #1054 of 10683/14/15 at 7:39amQuote:
This makes ZERO sense.post #1055 of 10683/14/15 at 7:39ampost #1056 of 10683/16/15 at 1:41pmQuote:
Second sentence contradicts your first.post #1057 of 10682/7/16 at 8:54ampost #1058 of 10682/7/16 at 12:03pmpost #1059 of 10682/7/16 at 12:22pmpost #1060 of 10682/7/16 at 6:24pmpost #1061 of 10682/8/16 at 4:12pmQuote:I can't disagree with either of your points, but I think it is the starkness that is part of the appeal for me.
With the right contrast of colours it can be striking rather than stark. However, not all blacks are the same so it's important to get the right shade/texture.post #1062 of 10689/19/16 at 3:11amQuote:
Completely agree, the midnight charcoal gray is black at night and totally appropriate for business during the day, the white shirt at night makes it elegant, a light or ice blue during daytime makes it business appropriate.
Where it becomes questionable is when it looks so dressy/formal during the day charcoal gray-white shirt that it draws attention to the clothing, not the man.
The key here is the suit fabric itself, Black is just too severe for daytime, charcoal gray should be muted, absolutely no shine to it, beware any tendency toward sharkskinpost #1063 of 10689/19/16 at 7:50am
There's also different types of black cloth (well obviously) H Lessers is flat and somber, clearly meant for a funeral or funeral director, quite different from say a mohair or Dormeuil Amadeus with a paper press finish.
I think though it depends on the type of business you are doing, obviously people with time on their hands working in offices post a lot here but this is not the whole world of business.
Edited by David Reeves - 9/19/16 at 10:58ampost #1064 of 10689/19/16 at 9:20pmQuote:
In at least partial defense of beating the dead horse, I read the first 50 pages of responses and found lots of responses about alcohol, semantic debates about the meaning of words, philosophical debates about whether fashion rules exist at all, and rehashing of old internet grudges, but very little relevant to the original question.post #1065 of 10689/20/16 at 6:07amQuote:Originally Posted by recentgrad
In at least partial defense of beating the dead horse, I read the first 50 pages of responses and found lots of responses about alcohol, semantic debates about the meaning of words, philosophical debates about whether fashion rules exist at all, and rehashing of old internet grudges, but very little relevant to the original question.
(1) You're quoting my post from 18 months ago.
(2) That tends to happen on StyleForum.
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 9 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 10 minutes ago
- › spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco 19 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 20 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 28 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 32 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 38 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 40 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 41 minutes ago
- › 370g Classic Navy Chalk Stripe Fox Flannel 3.5 metres, with EMS 56 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...