Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is black suit an acceptable business attire?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is black suit an acceptable business attire? - Page 70

post #1036 of 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post


Sometimes it's exactly the same thing..

Hey no disagreement there.

post #1037 of 1068

I'll be on stage with my daughter at her dance school's performance in a few months. The person organizing the show asked all fathers to wear a black suits.

I don't own a black suit and I'm debating whether I should buy some cheap POC that I'll never wear again or spend some money on a quality suit and learn how to wear it.

Suggestions?
 

post #1038 of 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsted Dressed View Post

I'll be on stage with my daughter at her dance school's performance in a few months. The person organizing the show asked all fathers to wear a black suits.

I don't own a black suit and I'm debating whether I should buy some cheap POC that I'll never wear again or spend some money on a quality suit and learn how to wear it.

Suggestions?
 

You'll wear it to funerals too, right?  It seems like every once in a while a black suit is needed so it's worth having one. 

post #1039 of 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post



I for one hate Navy or Blue suits, I look in the mirror when I put one on and see a poorly dressed bastard.

Maybe you need a better suit.

post #1040 of 1068
Yes, although it isn't classic

Black shark skin slim fit
post #1041 of 1068
I used to think black was fine for certain things. Then I got a charcoal suit and found it superior in every way, even on occasions where I would normally wear black.
post #1042 of 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

I used to think black was fine for certain things. Then I got a charcoal suit and found it superior in every way, even on occasions where I would normally wear black.

Charcoal is far more versatile/elegant and also pleasing to the eye.
post #1043 of 1068
Indeed, I always poo-pooed the black suit naysayers and it turns out you guys were 100% right.
post #1044 of 1068
why does tom ford wear a black suit every day then? does he have no other options?
post #1045 of 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post

why does tom ford wear a black suit every day then? does he have no other options?
Tom Ford said in an interview he wears a uniform. He always wears the same thing so it becomes associated with him as a person. He's been wearing a basic black suit and white shirt since the 90s
post #1046 of 1068

Is Tom Ford an authority on black suit wearing?

post #1047 of 1068
none of this is rocket science, a black suit can look extremely striking but you have to be able to carry it off. why else was it the signature garment for raf simons, hedi slimane, yamamoto, etc. whether it's 'acceptable' or not depends on your business.
post #1048 of 1068
The question is if it's appropriate as a business attire. Raf, Hedi, and Yohji's fall more on the fashion/street wear style. In an office setting, I don't think it's ideal unless your office or business deals more on the artsy side (music, film, fashion, or anything like that).
post #1049 of 1068
I've seen bankers wear black suits. Not sure if it was deliberate or out of ignorance though.
post #1050 of 1068

Frankly, I don't think anyone other than clothing enthusiasts cares if a businessman's suit is black, navy, charcoal or whatever conservative colour. Long as he does his job right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is black suit an acceptable business attire?