Related Forum Threads
- Dark shirt on dark suit? Last post on 8/25/11 at 2:32pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: Yesterday
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Is black suit an acceptable business attire? - Page 68
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1007 of 10571/11/11 at 11:34pmQuote:I did not read the previous 67 pages, but I was wondering if it has occurred to anyone that our friend who wrote the first post, mussel, may be working in the funeral business. In that case, I would find a black suit perfectly acceptable and appropriate.post #1008 of 10571/12/11 at 6:36ampost #1009 of 10571/12/11 at 11:18amFor me, the number one reason to avoid black suits is that it seems to be the uniform of recently (like today) graduated high school students. That's why I avoid wearing black suits during spring and summer (also because it never really gets dark around here during summer).
On the other hand, during the winter months, we have almost eternal twilight/darkness so black is more acceptable.post #1010 of 10571/12/11 at 6:51pmThe more conservative grey or blue suits go well with just about any shirt / tie mix imaginable.
The black suit is far more limited regarding shirt/tie combinations. A plain white shirt or even lighter coloured shirts such as light blue or yellow do not hold up particularly well in a business environment. The black suit, in some sense, gets carried by the shirt rather than the suit carrying the shirt.
That said, I wear a black suit occasionally to work. I usually combine it with an edgy "vintage looking" shirt such as some of those by Etro. With a "vintage looking" tie, the black suit holds up well.
I for one hate Navy or Blue suits, I look in the mirror when I put one on and see a poorly dressed bastard. I generally prefer the darker shades of grey when it comes to suits.post #1011 of 10571/12/11 at 6:56pmpost #1012 of 10571/12/11 at 6:56pmpost #1013 of 10571/12/11 at 7:16pmQuote:I occasionaly wear the black suit to work. It think it is funny how many compliments I get on it. I think the starkness off it makes it very noticeable.
A black suit can look wonderful. I do not wear one as much as I would like only because:
1) I stick out like a sore thumb at work where 50% wear navy or navy pinstripe suits, 30% stick with greys/grey pinstripes, and rest wear a sport coat / different coloured slacks mix.
2) It is hard to make a black suit look formal rather than dressy when the sun is blazing outside. Shirt and tie selection is key to making it work.
That said, I love black suits, and wear a black blazer with jeans/chinos at least once a week.post #1014 of 10571/12/11 at 8:20pmSo what exactly is meant by a "black suit?" Are we talking about a solid black suit or a black suit with a pinstripe, window pane design, etc? I'm just curious b/c I think more can be done with a black suit with a design in it that can automatically make it look a lot less formal and acceptable than the solid color suit.post #1015 of 10571/12/11 at 10:24pmIm thinking were talking of solid black suits. I suppose a black suit with tonal black stripes would also be on many people's list of "evil suits to wear to work".
Black pinstripe is not generally looked down upon like solid black.
Black with Windowpane design - I would like to see that. Blue stripes or charcoal stripes / plaids might be an interesting combo.post #1016 of 10571/12/11 at 11:13pmpost #1017 of 10572/27/12 at 4:39am
Interesting thread, and some valid points within its many pages. Personally, I tend to dress toward the Trad side of business and formal dress, and I do not own a black suit. I also work as an attorney but in West Michigan (read, not exactly the hotbed of fashion). Now, I do occasionally see an attorney wearing some black JAB, ill-fitting, three button suit, but they usually are also wearing some tone-on-tone, red, Van Heusen boxed gift set shirt and tie combo that looks like sin. The ONLY time I would think about wearing a black suit is to a funeral. Period.
For work, I wear many kinds of suits, patterns, and colors, but never black. If I go out of the evening with an open collar and suit, I make sure it is solid navy or solid charcoal, not black. I am also getting married this fall and am going the informal route at the bride's request. As such, I will be wearing a peaked lapel, three piece suit, in either oxford grey or dark charcoal grey, but NOT black. If I wanted to go black, I would have gone with a tuxedo, but I'm getting married in a church, and during the daytime, so there is no way a tux is going to work. Morning dress or a stroller yes, but not a tux.
Now, as for evening formal events, if black tie is required, you wear a tuxedo. I think there were a plethora of celebrities last night breaking all sorts of rules, wearing black suits and ties when they clearly should have been tuxedos and bowties. I'm also not a fan of the black tuxedo, black shirt, and black tie look either (ugh hum, George Clooney on several occasions, Christian Bale last night Oscars). I think wearing a black suit always reminds of a pseudo tuxedo, and I am always looking for the satin black stripe on the side of the leg.post #1018 of 10572/27/12 at 4:46ampost #1019 of 10572/27/12 at 4:50am
- Is black suit an acceptable business attire?
Styleforum Top Picks
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Motorcycles 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 11 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 12 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 13 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 16 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 19 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 21 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 32 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...