Related Forum Threads
- Dark shirt on dark suit? Last post on 8/25/11 at 2:32pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Is black suit an acceptable business attire? - Page 68post #1007 of 10691/11/11 at 11:34pmQuote:I did not read the previous 67 pages, but I was wondering if it has occurred to anyone that our friend who wrote the first post, mussel, may be working in the funeral business. In that case, I would find a black suit perfectly acceptable and appropriate.post #1008 of 10691/12/11 at 6:36ampost #1009 of 10691/12/11 at 11:18amFor me, the number one reason to avoid black suits is that it seems to be the uniform of recently (like today) graduated high school students. That's why I avoid wearing black suits during spring and summer (also because it never really gets dark around here during summer).
On the other hand, during the winter months, we have almost eternal twilight/darkness so black is more acceptable.post #1010 of 10691/12/11 at 6:51pmThe more conservative grey or blue suits go well with just about any shirt / tie mix imaginable.
The black suit is far more limited regarding shirt/tie combinations. A plain white shirt or even lighter coloured shirts such as light blue or yellow do not hold up particularly well in a business environment. The black suit, in some sense, gets carried by the shirt rather than the suit carrying the shirt.
That said, I wear a black suit occasionally to work. I usually combine it with an edgy "vintage looking" shirt such as some of those by Etro. With a "vintage looking" tie, the black suit holds up well.
I for one hate Navy or Blue suits, I look in the mirror when I put one on and see a poorly dressed bastard. I generally prefer the darker shades of grey when it comes to suits.post #1011 of 10691/12/11 at 6:56pmpost #1012 of 10691/12/11 at 6:56pmpost #1013 of 10691/12/11 at 7:16pmQuote:I occasionaly wear the black suit to work. It think it is funny how many compliments I get on it. I think the starkness off it makes it very noticeable.
A black suit can look wonderful. I do not wear one as much as I would like only because:
1) I stick out like a sore thumb at work where 50% wear navy or navy pinstripe suits, 30% stick with greys/grey pinstripes, and rest wear a sport coat / different coloured slacks mix.
2) It is hard to make a black suit look formal rather than dressy when the sun is blazing outside. Shirt and tie selection is key to making it work.
That said, I love black suits, and wear a black blazer with jeans/chinos at least once a week.post #1014 of 10691/12/11 at 8:20pmSo what exactly is meant by a "black suit?" Are we talking about a solid black suit or a black suit with a pinstripe, window pane design, etc? I'm just curious b/c I think more can be done with a black suit with a design in it that can automatically make it look a lot less formal and acceptable than the solid color suit.post #1015 of 10691/12/11 at 10:24pmIm thinking were talking of solid black suits. I suppose a black suit with tonal black stripes would also be on many people's list of "evil suits to wear to work".
Black pinstripe is not generally looked down upon like solid black.
Black with Windowpane design - I would like to see that. Blue stripes or charcoal stripes / plaids might be an interesting combo.post #1016 of 10691/12/11 at 11:13pmpost #1017 of 10692/27/12 at 4:39am
Interesting thread, and some valid points within its many pages. Personally, I tend to dress toward the Trad side of business and formal dress, and I do not own a black suit. I also work as an attorney but in West Michigan (read, not exactly the hotbed of fashion). Now, I do occasionally see an attorney wearing some black JAB, ill-fitting, three button suit, but they usually are also wearing some tone-on-tone, red, Van Heusen boxed gift set shirt and tie combo that looks like sin. The ONLY time I would think about wearing a black suit is to a funeral. Period.
For work, I wear many kinds of suits, patterns, and colors, but never black. If I go out of the evening with an open collar and suit, I make sure it is solid navy or solid charcoal, not black. I am also getting married this fall and am going the informal route at the bride's request. As such, I will be wearing a peaked lapel, three piece suit, in either oxford grey or dark charcoal grey, but NOT black. If I wanted to go black, I would have gone with a tuxedo, but I'm getting married in a church, and during the daytime, so there is no way a tux is going to work. Morning dress or a stroller yes, but not a tux.
Now, as for evening formal events, if black tie is required, you wear a tuxedo. I think there were a plethora of celebrities last night breaking all sorts of rules, wearing black suits and ties when they clearly should have been tuxedos and bowties. I'm also not a fan of the black tuxedo, black shirt, and black tie look either (ugh hum, George Clooney on several occasions, Christian Bale last night Oscars). I think wearing a black suit always reminds of a pseudo tuxedo, and I am always looking for the satin black stripe on the side of the leg.post #1018 of 10692/27/12 at 4:46ampost #1019 of 10692/27/12 at 4:50ampost #1020 of 10698/31/12 at 5:00pm
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › Personalized Leather Briefcase by RockDove - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Business Travel Musts 3 minutes ago
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 9 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 17 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 32 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 32 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 38 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...