or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best impractical fun car 40-50K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best impractical fun car 40-50K

post #1 of 102
Thread Starter 
I currently, and for the foreseeable future, get a new rental every month. This ends up being a decent car -- Honda Accord, Mustang, etc. so I use it drive to work and for most other non-intensive things. I'm looking for something fun, with a maximum price of 50K, and no older than a 2001. The more impractical the better, to a point. I hate sedans and large cars. Any suggestions? Short list: NSX S2000 Cayman S ...?
post #2 of 102
Lotus Elise / Exige is probably the most impractical car you can get in that range.
post #3 of 102
Land Rover Defender 90
post #4 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology View Post
Lotus Elise / Exige is probably the most impractical car you can get in that range.

+1

I think this is hands down the best car you can get for the "Best impractical fun car for $50k" title.

You can also get used 911's, and even nice 996 Turbo's in the $50k range but maintenance is $$$.
post #5 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology View Post
Lotus Elise / Exige is probably the most impractical car you can get in that range.
After the Lotus, is there any other choice?
post #6 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
After the Lotus, is there any other choice?
There is absolutely not. It's the hands down winner in this category if you have a second car. I don' think there's anyway you get a Cayman S for less than 50K.
post #7 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
There is absolutely not. It's the hands down winner in this category if you have a second car. I don' think there's anyway you get a Cayman S for less than 50K.
Same here, I didn't know what the current price they were going for on the used market, but less than 50K did seem kind of low, however it's still an amazing car.
post #8 of 102
The Elise is the car to get in this category. The Exige is faster and packs a bigger torque wallop, but the supercharger whine ruins the godly noise of the Elise. The Elise sings, while the Exige sounds like a Dyson.
post #9 of 102
What's so cool about the Lotus besides that it's fun to drive? How reliable is it?
post #10 of 102
An Ariel Atom if you can find a used one. It seems like with the new US manufacturer they're starting at $65K for a new one these days.
post #11 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejake View Post
What's so cool about the Lotus besides that it's fun to drive? How reliable is it?

Did you not read the thread title? It's impractical, and it's the most fun to drive car south of about $70K I'd imagine. I believe it uses a Honda drivetrain but they may have changed that recently.
post #12 of 102
A Manta Mirage...big block.
post #13 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcG View Post
An Ariel Atom if you can find a used one. It seems like with the new US manufacturer they're starting at $65K for a new one these days.
Good pick, I forgot about the Ariel.
post #14 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Did you not read the thread title? It's impractical, and it's the most fun to drive car south of about $70K I'd imagine. I believe it uses a Honda drivetrain but they may have changed that recently.
It's the same 1.8L from the Toyota Celica, but it absolutely sings when fitted in the Lotus.
post #15 of 102
BMW Z4 roadster 3.0si
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best impractical fun car 40-50K